Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
meunierd
meunierd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Converting azw3 to epub: character encoding issue.

I purchased and successfully removed the DRM from the following title: http://www.amazon.com/Democracy-Self...7763696&sr=1-2

Now when attempting to convert it to epub, I receive the following traceback:

http://hastebin.com/sosufotuce

I tried changing the input encoding under look and feel and receive the exact same error, likewise from the cli with ebook-convert. If I go into the module and force the encoding to latin-1 I get the following ouput:

http://hastebin.com/juqocuniwa

...which produces an epub, albeit with artefacts.

If I can get in contact with a developer, I'd gladly send input/output files.

Last edited by meunierd; 01-09-2013 at 03:57 PM.
meunierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall your distro provided calibre and install the latest version from the official calibre website.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
meunierd
meunierd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
That worked perfectly, thank you!
meunierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a better solution that will work much much much better.

Use the Mobi_Unpack plugin to move the files int he AZW3 to ePub. Then run the ePub through Sigil to find any errors that need fixing, fix them and you have an ePub that's almost the same as the AZW3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote