Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #16
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Thanks for the tutorial. On LRF files it is possible to create hyperlinks within a document, to skip from a toc to a book chapter (or skip chapters to the next/previous chapter by the use of links).
I don't know if that's possible in epub, but the tutorial could add that one feat if Sigil can process this (BookDesigner can).

I've already passed the HTML class, but a handy tool to learn CSS can be found here:
where input/output is directly displayed within a web browser!
http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.a...trycss_default

I mainly will read the manual for learning sigil, and perhaps update/hone my css skills (since I'm very basic in that area); and probably in 2 to 3 days give some more feedback.

Thanks for doing this though!

Btw, if you want to have an example of hyperlinks, please see THIS THREAD
It has a file with the most basic HTML formatting for ebooks, including hyperlinking within a document. The Sony PRS-505 does not allow reverse linking from those links.

Since it takes about a day more before my jetbook will arrive, it'd be nice if someone would want to see if hyperlinking works on the jetbook!
If not, in 2 days I'll figure it out!

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-17-2011 at 04:01 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Thanks for the tutorial. On LRF files it is possible to create hyperlinks within a document, to skip from a toc to a book chapter (or skip chapters to the next/previous chapter by the use of links).
I don't know if that's possible in epub, but the tutorial could add that one feat if Sigil can process this (BookDesigner can).
If you are familiar with BookDesigner, you may find my HTML02HTML utility useful (see my signature). This utility converts a ".html0" file to a simpler html with CSS and performs some additional formatting tasks. The resulting file imports very well into Sigil.
Important: after you finish formatting with BD, you have to make your book in BD format (html0), then reload your book from the resulting html0 and inmediatly close BD. Then you you to direct the utility to the "LastFile" directory and use the file inside there as input to the utility.

Quote:
Btw, if you want to have an example of hyperlinks, please see THIS THREAD
It has a file with the most basic HTML formatting for ebooks, including hyperlinking within a document. The Sony PRS-505 does not allow reverse linking from those links.
The tutorial has a section on how to code hyperlinks, including "go back" links for readers that don't provide a history button.

Thanks for your interest in the tutorial. Your feedback is welcome.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #18
bramwell1922
bramwell1922 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

Nice book. Go beyond a quick and dirty; we need something comprehensive! As a newbi I was confused about the difference between <title> and meta data's title, perhaps there could be something that explains which one I should use.

There is a log of information on the web for authoring ePub documents but so much of it is unusable for an author. Some of it is talking more about specifications and does not show how the various tags are used or what effect they have. Other info I've been signposted to is really for website creation, with tags that ePub does not use, or missing tags that it does. Many tutorials do not specify that they are teaching EPUB 3.0, so the reader is not sure whether they are learning depreciated tags or the preferred tags.

So far, your guide is the best I've come across, so keep up the good work.

If you know of a more complete work that relates to EPUB 3.0, and defines the tags, and shows the consequences of each, please do let me know, as I want to create some specific effects in my book and will need the full power of the tags. Thanks a bundle.
bramwell1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramwell1922 View Post
There is a log of information on the web for authoring ePub documents but so much of it is unusable for an author.
That's true, and the reason why I decided to share my (limited) knowledge on the matter.
The purpose of the tutorial is to get people started in creating nice looking ePub books. Of course there's a lot more to HTML, CSS and ePub than is covered in this document. But once you've got the gist of it, it's fairly easy to search the web for more complicated things.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The problem is when it's all converted to html0, many of the extra feats are redundant (they get filtered out anyway); meaning many of them get converted into a simpler html command.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
wraylewis
Enthusiast
wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad and Kindle
Thanks for your tutorial.

It put so many things in clear perspective for me, especially how I messed thins up by trying to do extensive edits in Sigil's book view!
wraylewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
AZdave
Enthusiast
AZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheeseAZdave can extract oil from cheese

Device: Samsung Stratosphere (coolreader), BeBook Neo,EBookman
Thanks !
I like it....
AZdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #23
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraylewis View Post
Thanks for your tutorial.

It put so many things in clear perspective for me, especially how I messed thins up by trying to do extensive edits in Sigil's book view!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdave View Post
Thanks !
I like it....
I'm glad you found the tutorial useful. I'm planning to write an update next year, maybe in feb or march, covering the latest version of Sigil and adding a section on common tasks using Search & Replace with Regular Expressions.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
CaptainMachSnot
CaptainMachSnot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-Busted, Sony PRS-T1
Thanks for this tutorial. I have only just started re-formatting some of my epub files. I have spent hours searching for code on the Internet, but mostly only find web site stuff. It makes it so much easier to have the info I need specifically for epubs in a handy document. Thanks
CaptainMachSnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #25
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMachSnot View Post
Thanks for this tutorial. I have only just started re-formatting some of my epub files. I have spent hours searching for code on the Internet, but mostly only find web site stuff. It makes it so much easier to have the info I need specifically for epubs in a handy document. Thanks
I'm glad you find it useful!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #26
sachin
Enthusiast
sachin began at the beginning.

DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I am trying to write an ePub tutorial "for dummies", starting with HTML and CSS and later Sigil.

I am aware there are thousands of online HTML/CSS tutorials, so why yet another one? Well, because not everybody has the time or the patience needed to go through them, so I thought I could write some no-fuss quick and dirty guide covering the basics.

I just finished a draft covering HTML and CSS (in 7 pages, screenshots included) and would like some feedback to know if it is worth the effort.

Disclaimer No. 1: I am not an expert. I am still learning.
Disclaimer No. 2: English is not my mother language. So if you read something funny, please tell me so I can improve it.

Thanks

EDIT

I just uploaded a new draft with more on CSS and an introduction to ePub

EDIT

I just uploaded a new draft covering Sigil and basic book formatting

EDIT

Uploaded the final version.

Pablo
I tried to embed the font using following method
add existing files at fonts folder and creating css as you said but to open my ebook in calibre ebook reading software in my PC it is not opening and showing that DRM BLOCKED". what to do now?
Thanks in advance
sachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #27
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Are you trying to embed a font to a DRM restricted book? Then you first need to liberate the book from DRM before embedding.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #28
sachin
Enthusiast

embedding font

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Are you trying to embed a font to a DRM restricted book? Then you first need to liberate the book from DRM before embedding.
No I'm not using any book which is DRM protected. I was experimenting with the book created by myself. And the Problem is fixed, I found out how to remove DRM. But now a new problem arrived. This may be a simple one but please help me out.
I'm trying to embed fonts by providing fonts(TTF) to the fonts folder at book browser menu and then creating a blank styles.css page. I dont know why the message " the resource is present in the opf<manifest>, but it is not reachable(unused)" is coming when i validate by using FLightcrew.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #29
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Well, after you added a font to the ePUB, Sigil will put it in the manifest. However, you need to reference to the font in the stylesheet (@font-face) and to a style to actually apply it.
As long as you don't do that, it is referenced, but not used.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #30
sachin
Enthusiast

embedding font

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Well, after you added a font to the ePUB, Sigil will put it in the manifest. However, you need to reference to the font in the stylesheet (@font-face) and to a style to actually apply it.
As long as you don't do that, it is referenced, but not used.
after providing 3 versions of fonts at the fonts folder in the book browser i did following things
-
opened a blank stylesheet (style0001.css) by right clicking on the styles folder of book browser and pasted following code

font-face {
font-family: "myfontname";
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/myfontname-b.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Myfontname";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(../Fonts/Myfontname-i.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "Myfontname";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/Myfontname-n.ttf);
}
p{
text-indent: 0;
text-align: justify;
font-size: 1em;
margin-top:0;
margin-bottom: 1em;
}
body { font-family: "Myfontname", serif; }

NOTE:"Myfontname" is actually the name of my font.

isn't it enough? what more should i do?