Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Archive.org opens huge ebook lending library

San Francisco, CA – Today, a group of libraries led by the Internet Archive announced a new, cooperative 80,000+ eBook lending collection of mostly 20th century books on OpenLibrary.org, a site where it’s already possible to read over 1 million eBooks without restriction.

(Source)

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 02-23-2011 at 04:59 PM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Ooh great! Too bad I won't be able to read them on a kindle

Last edited by wyndslash; 02-23-2011 at 05:10 PM.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
As far as I can tell this brings nothing at all new to the table and is really pretty pointless. Their non-PD loans are done through Overdrive, so if your local library doesn't have the book you want you're out of luck. Why would I use OpenLibrary when I can do a better and faster search at my own library?

Any PD books they have will be available in any number of places. I honestly don't see the point of it.

Last edited by carld; 02-23-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PD? What's that?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
PD? What's that?
Public Domain.

Available here on MobileRead, at Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks, Feedbooks, and elsewhere.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard

Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let me quote them:

Quote:
There is a small but growing collection of eBooks available to everyone with an Open Library account, anywhere in the world. These titles come to you through the book scanning program of the Internet Archive, a registered library in California.
It worked for me, and I'm nowhere near a US public library.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Was the book you got a Public Domain work or one under current copyright?

I looked through their Science-Fiction ebooks and saw that The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson looked interesting and was available as an ebook. I clicked on "Borrow" and got options to search libraries or stores. I picked libraries and after entering my zipcode Overdrive informed me that it wasn't available in my area .... gee thanks.

Last edited by carld; 02-23-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
rogue_librarian
Guru

A copyrighted one. I downloaded the epub with DRM (ADE) added on the fly, as always.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard

@rogue: it's nice that they're available to everyone who has an open library account. ebooks in libraries here are almost non-existent.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
A copyrighted one. I downloaded the epub with DRM (ADE) added on the fly, as always.
Interesting, I have an account but haven't been able to download anything that's under copyright.

Edit: Perhaps it's different for people in the US. I've looked at a dozen books and none has given me an option to borrow outside of the Overdrive Library System at my local library.

Last edited by carld; 02-23-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Interesting, I have an account but haven't been able to download anything that's under copyright.
I can't even find anything under copyright available through them. Every 'Borrow' link I've clicked takes me to an OverDrive search page to 'Find at a Library' or 'Find at a Bookstore'.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I can't even find anything under copyright available through them. Every 'Borrow' link I've clicked takes me to an OverDrive search page to 'Find at a Library' or 'Find at a Bookstore'.
Same with me. I gave up looking. As far as I can see it's just a search engine for Overdrive and a collection of PD titles.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Same with me. I gave up looking. As far as I can see it's just a search engine for Overdrive and a collection of PD titles.
It's like they're trying to reinvent the wheel.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Gee, I found a couple of trashy romance books from the sixties that I have in paperback. Also there are a few Helen MacInnes books. I downloaded the .pdfs; haven't tried them on my e-reader yet. I thought I'd be able to try the .epub versions too--I didn't download them initially since they're apparently just unproofed OCRs--but it seems that I can only download one version.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote