Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #1
NewBabyProd
NewBabyProd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Can someone test my sample graphic novel?

I would appreciate greatly if someone could try the test file (LINK) on an iPad. I have set-up image maps with links to our web site on three pages were there is web address shown, and would really like to know if they are working. Thanks!

Eric Mullarky
New Baby Productions
www.NewBabyProductions.com
NewBabyProd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I download and sent the file to iBooks on the iPad. It shows up well, nice color but the margins around all pages are quite wide, larger than necessary, making the pictures not as readable as they could be.

I have clicked (touched) in several places on all 11 pages but nothing happens.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
NewBabyProd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I download and sent the file to iBooks on the iPad. It shows up well, nice color but the margins around all pages are quite wide, larger than necessary, making the pictures not as readable as they could be.
Thanks so much for checking. Are the margins only on the left and right hand sides? Or are there margins on the top and bottom as well. I used a conversion tool to automate the sizing of pictures, but I could manually re-size if necessary.

Quote:
I have clicked (touched) in several places on all 11 pages but nothing happens.
Image map links were set-up specifically where a web address is shown; i.e. www.NewBabyProductions.com or www.ElementalFources.com. Please verify that those are not working. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I wonder if PDF would do better in this case.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
NewBabyProd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I wonder if PDF would do better in this case.
Probably would, but the iBookstore requires the format to be epub to be sold there.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBabyProd View Post
Thanks so much for checking. Are the margins only on the left and right hand sides? Or are there margins on the top and bottom as well. I used a conversion tool to automate the sizing of pictures, but I could manually re-size if necessary.

Image map links were set-up specifically where a web address is shown; i.e. www.NewBabyProductions.com or www.ElementalFources.com. Please verify that those are not working. Thanks!
No, the links do not work.

I'll try to be more specific on the margins. They are not uniform. The covers Front and Back) are ok but some of the others vary. Below is a picture of two pages in the horizontal mode to give you an idea. Top and bottom vary from page to page while left and right seem slighty big. I realize this may simply be a function of the original cartoon dimensions.

Last edited by The Old Man; 06-08-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added second pic
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
No, the links do not work.

I'll try to be more specific on the margins. They are not uniform. The covers Front and Back) are ok but some of the others vary. Below is a picture of two pages in the horizontal mode to give you an idea. Top and bottom vary from page to page while left and right seem slighty big. I realize this may simply be a function of the original cartoon dimensions.
Same behavior when tested on my iPad. Looks kinda weird when one page is bigger than another. When reading in portrait 2-page view some of the text bubbles are too small since most the screen is wasted by the virtual book, and of course you can't zoom. I think anyone who purchases this will have to read it in landscape 1-page view.

Graphic novels are definitely not suited for the current iBooks epub format, but I guess you don't have a choice if you want to sell it in the iBooks store. This would look great as a cbz in ComicZeal or a pdf in one of the many pdf readers like Goodreader.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
David Mundie http://web.me.com/david.mundie/Linde...in_iBooks.html and Liz Castro http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...ibooks-on.html have been doing a lot of experimentation with graphics in iBooks-worth checking out!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Probably would, but the iBookstore requires the format to be epub to be sold there.
May I ask what software have you used to produce this?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
NewBabyProd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
May I ask what software have you used to produce this?
inDesign CS3 to PDF to CBZ to Calibre, with manual adjsutments along the way.
I am sure there is a much easier way...
Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
NewBabyProd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
Same behavior when tested on my iPad. Looks kinda weird when one page is bigger than another. When reading in portrait 2-page view some of the text bubbles are too small since most the screen is wasted by the virtual book, and of course you can't zoom. I think anyone who purchases this will have to read it in landscape 1-page view.
Thanks for the feedback. The "different size pages" really only is an issue with this small sample. The rest of the book is not like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
Graphic novels are definitely not suited for the current iBooks epub format, but I guess you don't have a choice if you want to sell it in the iBooks store. This would look great as a cbz in ComicZeal or a pdf in one of the many pdf readers like Goodreader.
I agree 100%. I will definitely be looking at other formats suitable to the iPad. But I know that iBooks is the most popular reader at this point, so I wanted to start there.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, for a graphic novel like you are creating, Goodreader is the best app for this. Just make them PDF and Goodreader will blow away iBooks for this as you can use the full screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
NewBabyProd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, for a graphic novel like you are creating, Goodreader is the best app for this. Just make them PDF and Goodreader will blow away iBooks for this as you can use the full screen.
How many readers are using Goodreader? How many are using iBooks?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
How many readers are using Goodreader? How many are using iBooks?
In OS4, iBooks will support PDF.
ePub really doesn't make any sense for a graphic novel. CBZ/CBR or PDF are the logical choices, and PDF is far more widely available.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
NewBabyProd

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
In OS4, iBooks will support PDF.
ePub really doesn't make any sense for a graphic novel. CBZ/CBR or PDF are the logical choices, and PDF is far more widely available.
I don't disagree with you one bit. I just want to make sure my book is available to the largest numbers of readers possible.