Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #16
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I agree that the average consumer doesn't understand the various types of DRM. But the plus to this whole issue (IMHO) is that new customers who buy these readers will likely be on the ePub side of the DRM fence instead of the Mobi side. If DRM is going to be around, I'd rather have the majority of devices going forward to at least support the same DRM scheme (not that I want DRM around).
While I am against DRM in a purchased product, I am okay with timed DRM in libraries.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
While I am against DRM in a purchased product, I am okay with timed DRM in libraries.
Very true. Timed DRM for library books is one of the few places it actually makes sense.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
The problem might be, that once our non-technical J. Does run into problems with DRM-ed files, at least some of them will blame it on "these stupid e-books" and go back to p-books, at least for a while.

And the rest will discover DRM stripping, and "piracy."

Not unlike the publishers refusals to publish certain popular titles, which often lead to:

--"damn, I got me a new Kindle, but I can't find any Harry Potter to buy...."
--"oh, no problem. My nephew showed me this new site where you could get it...."

I think the publishing industry would love to kill this whole e-book thing, except that they can't.... But, I suppose the e-book thing might kill some of the more obtuse publishers.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Another problem ist that Joe Average might put the blame on "those eBooks" and stick to books (or may not read, after all). He might not even know about DRM or make the right conclusions to really understand what DRM does to his legally acquired files.

DRM doesn't only restrict customer's rights but also constrains eBooks in general as a cultural/technological development.

I've been (co)publishing our eBooks for over six years without any DRM and never encountered any serious matter of pirated copies, so I can just encourage every publisher to give his/her readers some credit.

What really bugs me is that epub isn't really "free" at the moment. Any commercially sold epub eBook with DRM is at last an Adobe ADE-DRM-epub, so it is as far away from the open standard it is supposed to be as I could think of.
So, the current devices work with "Adobe epub". What about some years in the future? Will ADE still be around? Is there another kind of DRM-epub from another company, and of course, those two then are not compatible?

As long as any eBook file is restricted/bound with DRM, the user is never free to use it as he or she wishes to.

So - goodbye DRM-prc, welcome DRM-epub ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #20
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I think you are gaining more than you are losing since Mobipocket format is not going to be around much longer.
that thought was in my head ever since Amazon bought mobipocket and used it for its kindle format without extending any kind of real positive change/progress to mobipocket, plus it curtailed its growth and stopped software development on new mobile platforms (iphones/ nokia touch screens and newer devices).

Support became medicore, main page rarely updated, compaines making e-ink devices starting to opt for adobe epub.

things are surely heading towards mobipocket's demise.
Saud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #21
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
So, the current devices work with "Adobe epub". What about some years in the future? Will ADE still be around? Is there another kind of DRM-epub from another company, and of course, those two then are not compatible?
That is exactly my fear too. Now we say "oh well, too bad that we loose some Mobipocket ebooks, but hey, ePub is becoming the new standard anyway, so let's move on."

But what if in 1-2 years time someone (maybe Steve Jobs??) invents a beautiful new ebook format, that renders ePub obsolete? Will Adobe allow us to read our drm-ed ePub ebooks on some Apple iTablet? History might just repeat itself...
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 AM   #22
Viacheslav
Connoisseur
Viacheslav doesn't litterViacheslav doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000
Just do not pay for anything with DRM and demand money back if you receive a file made defective with DRM.
Viacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
Every time I read a story like this it makes me furious! DRM is evil and we should not support companies that still think it works as a deterrent against piracy.
But I like modern books. And I just refuse to read only old books because some new books might have DRM on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Remove the DRM from your existing books(if its legal) and convert to epub and move forward.
No, even remove it if it's not legal. You bought a book. And you should be allowed to use it. If you can't use it because of some stupid DRM scheme, either the publisher should allow you to download that same book, in a different format, or you should be able to de-DRM it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
DRMed mobi files will just become obsolete because of its exclusivity. (Except the Amazon format, of course)
Sadly yes. Because I really like the freedom Mobipocket gives me as reader (the application that is).

DRM in itself isn't evil. It's the current implementation of it. I don't just buy a book at this time, I buy a book in a specific format. So, if I get a reader that doesn't support that format, I can't read the book. Why not allow a reader to download that same book in a different format too (just like the multiformat books at Fictionwise)?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #24
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
Yep. why after I buy an Ebook I strip the DRM off of it, and then I sleep like a baby...
same here....
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #25
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

No, even remove it if it's not legal. You bought a book. And you should be allowed to use it. If you can't use it because of some stupid DRM scheme, either the publisher should allow you to download that same book, in a different format, or you should be able to de-DRM it.
As I've pointed out several times, though the statement that to remove DRM is illegal in some countries has been repeated often no one has been able to cite a case where anyone has been prosecuted, or any case law.

Xenophon has posted about this subject several times, and to the best of my recollection has a legal background. If I remember his comments correctly even the lawyers hold wildly different opinions.

So the opinion that it is perfectly legal to remove DRM is just as valid as the opinion that it is illegal to do so.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
As I've pointed out several times, though the statement that to remove DRM is illegal in some countries has been repeated often no one has been able to cite a case where anyone has been prosecuted, or any case law.

Xenophon has posted about this subject several times, and to the best of my recollection has a legal background. If I remember his comments correctly even the lawyers hold wildly different opinions.

So the opinion that it is perfectly legal to remove DRM is just as valid as the opinion that it is illegal to do so.

Regards, Alex
In a lot of countries it's not even sure if it's legal or not... But that was not the point I was trying to make:

Quote:
Remove the DRM from your existing books (if its legal) and convert to epub and move forward.
I just wanted to say, remove it even if it's not legal if the DRM stops you from actually using the book.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #27
Einder
Einder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Amazon is trying to dictate the direction the development of e-books in general take - by dictating whether or not I can add Epub-support on my reader.. disgusting. Basically they are saying: hey, you've bought Mobipocket ebooks, we own mobipocket - so you've got one choice: stop reading your books, or get a Kindle.

Well, Kindle my ass... even if it were the last device on Earth and all paper books were torched - I'd rather tell stories to myself than get a Kindle.

Epub is the future.. but there is only one type of Epub and that is without DRM. There are no specifications for DRM'd Epub, and that results in a company like Adobe making up their own version. Of course, it won't be long before someone else makes up their own, propietary version of DRM'd Epub, thus ruining the entire idea behind Epub.

Show me how to strip the DRM off my Mobi-files, and I'll never buy an Amazon book again.
Einder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #28
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einder View Post
Well, Kindle my ass... even if it were the last device on Earth and all paper books were torched - I'd rather tell stories to myself than get a Kindle.

Quote:
Epub is the future.
No DRM is the future, like in the music industry.
We want to pay for ebooks but be able to use what we bought on any device we like. Is this so absurd??
Meanwhile, we love cabbages. Thanks again
As opposed to Amazon, Adobe (as Microsoft in the past when lit format was circumvented) has at least not complained so far about deDRM scripts.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #29
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Show me how to strip the DRM off my Mobi-files, and I'll never buy an Amazon book again.
We're not allowed to tell you how to remove DRM on the forums; it's against MobileRead policy. But there have been many threads giving hints on how to find out how to do it, especially on the Mobipocket forum, and private messages have often helped.

Regards, Alex
Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #30
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I just wanted to say, remove it even if it's not legal if the DRM stops you from actually using the book.
Sorry, Sweetpea, no offence meant. It just gets me going when I read comments assuming that removing DRM is illegal and or that it is criminal to do so, and I seem to have over reacted.

I routinely remove DRM from all Mobipocket files before I install them on my Cybook.

Regards, Alex

Tags
bebook, drm, firmware, mobipocket, update