Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Still have serious battery issues

Hi everyone!

Yes, I'm still struggling with the Glo's battery. I disable EVERYTHING, magnetic closure, automatic updates, and tips from Kobo, and yet, every once and again I find it enables automatically and drains my battery. I'm using a non magnetic case, and check everything automatic off before I put it to sleep. The longest I've been able to use it is 4 days on a row. Never gets past 60% before it drains completely. I can't send it back due to customs restrictions, so I'm thinking on buying a battery online and changing it here. A real shame since the reader works beautifully, and I really appreciate the automatic collections. BUT, I have to plug it at least every other day. I do most of my reading with wifi off, and about 35% light on. Battery is usually above 90 percent, and it drains at a fast pace, but yet, not at fast as when it's on standby. I don't see anyone having the same problem, so I asume it's my reader. I'd love some ideas if you have, if not, at the first nearest convenience I'll move to a Kindle (unfortunately).
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
How old is your Glo? It should qualify for a warranty replacement if within the time period.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
How old is your Glo? It should qualify for a warranty replacement if within the time period.
4 months or so. Problem is, custom restrictions and freight cost would make it unreasonable to send it back (I'll get charged by customs on its way back). The nearest Rakuten is in Brazil, I still haven't reached them by mail but I will. I had high hopes of the new FW, but it seems things go on the same...
Old 04-05-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Still have serious battery issues

Probably a hardware issue. I'm afraid your only solution is to ask for a replacement.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Did you remove ALL books? Then load just one to read, and test the battery life. You could have a bad file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
Hi everyone!

Yes, I'm still struggling with the Glo's battery. I disable EVERYTHING, magnetic closure, automatic updates, and tips from Kobo, and yet, every once and again I find it enables automatically and drains my battery. I'm using a non magnetic case, and check everything automatic off before I put it to sleep. The longest I've been able to use it is 4 days on a row. Never gets past 60% before it drains completely. I can't send it back due to customs restrictions, so I'm thinking on buying a battery online and changing it here. A real shame since the reader works beautifully, and I really appreciate the automatic collections. BUT, I have to plug it at least every other day. I do most of my reading with wifi off, and about 35% light on. Battery is usually above 90 percent, and it drains at a fast pace, but yet, not at fast as when it's on standby. I don't see anyone having the same problem, so I asume it's my reader. I'd love some ideas if you have, if not, at the first nearest convenience I'll move to a Kindle (unfortunately).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Do you have an SD card in it? My Aura HD was draining battery like there's no tomorrow and the SD card turned out to be the cause.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Do you have an SD card in it? My Aura HD was draining battery like there's no tomorrow and the SD card turned out to be the cause.
I have never had an issue with an sd card causing battery drain. On that note more research would have to be done brand etc. But I rather suspect your cover could be the culprit here. You can test that out by removing the cover or leaving the cover open when you go to bed. Also ensure your wifi is turned off etc. You can also improve battery levels by lowering the light settings, but as a rule I leave mine at full 24/7 I find the reader is more enjoyable that way.

Also try draining the battery to empty 2 or three times to help calibrate the battery.

Good luck

Let us know

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Did you remove ALL books? Then load just one to read, and test the battery life. You could have a bad file.
Did it several times, with different books. Although most of my books are side loaded, I don't have issues with them with the Nook ST. As we speak I'm rebuilding my whole library at 100 books at a time. I'm sincerely hoping the 3.2 I've just downloaded (I had to turn it to english, I use it in spanish usually, for the upgrader to download the latest firmware). Thanks anyway, all ideas are welcome!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I have never had an issue with an sd card causing battery drain. On that note more research would have to be done brand etc. But I rather suspect your cover could be the culprit here. You can test that out by removing the cover or leaving the cover open when you go to bed. Also ensure your wifi is turned off etc. You can also improve battery levels by lowering the light settings, but as a rule I leave mine at full 24/7 I find the reader is more enjoyable that way.

Also try draining the battery to empty 2 or three times to help calibrate the battery.

Good luck

Let us know

regards

Jack
In my case it was definitely the card. I don't know what exactly is wrong with it, but it is a bum card (my phone is having issues with the card as well). My drain started when I put the card in (although since I have also upgraded firmware at the same time I have wrongfully attributed the the drain to the upgrade) and it stopped when I pulled it out.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 AM   #10
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
In my case it was definitely the card. I don't know what exactly is wrong with it, but it is a bum card (my phone is having issues with the card as well). My drain started when I put the card in (although since I have also upgraded firmware at the same time I have wrongfully attributed the the drain to the upgrade) and it stopped when I pulled it out.
Bum card? I've gone through three different cards the time I've had it, all of them original Sandisk. I've had issues with cards lately, a Verbatim that stopped working in my phone, but I had no issues with it in the reader. I'll pull it out, in case that's the problem. I've been suspicious of that, although I had no proof of it. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:59 AM   #11
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
Bum card? I've gone through three different cards the time I've had it, all of them original Sandisk. I've had issues with cards lately, a Verbatim that stopped working in my phone, but I had no issues with it in the reader. I'll pull it out, in case that's the problem. I've been suspicious of that, although I had no proof of it. Thanks!
Yes, when I had it in the phone it would pop up a message that the card requires formatting, I would format it, then within an hour the message would be up again. At first I thought it was KitKat incompatibility, so I moved the card to the reader and haven't given it another thought. Now I see the error of my ways… not saying your problem is the same, but another variable to eliminate.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then I wonder if there is an internal short in the card somewhere? Do you have access to an electron microscope? pretty much the only way to find out and the procedure would destroy the card at any rate. Those cards are very thin and delicate and it could have happened during shipping and handling, I have sent a cards back to Lexar to get replacements (Lexar was the brand I had an issue with)under warranty it is possible for you to do the same with your card hopefully.

regards

Good luck
Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #13
susaz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Then I wonder if there is an internal short in the card somewhere? Do you have access to an electron microscope? pretty much the only way to find out and the procedure would destroy the card at any rate. Those cards are very thin and delicate and it could have happened during shipping and handling, I have sent a cards back to Lexar to get replacements (Lexar was the brand I had an issue with)under warranty it is possible for you to do the same with your card hopefully.

regards

Good luck
I'd blame more the card reader than the card itself. Yesterday I put the same card into the Nook ST Glow and it read and opened beautifully... I'd blame some software glitch of the card reader...
Old 04-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
No offense intended, but it'd be a lot easier for most technicians to interrupt power to the sdhc card socket and insert a milliammeter or a precision resistor with an oscilloscope measuring voltage drop to calculate current draw...

Unless, of course, you're Tony Stark and have already built a cyclotron in your garage workshop.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
No offense intended, but it'd be a lot easier for most technicians to interrupt power to the sdhc card socket and insert a milliammeter or a precision resistor with an oscilloscope measuring voltage drop to calculate current draw...

Unless, of course, you're Tony Stark and have already built a cyclotron in your garage workshop.
I don't know Tony seems kind of distracted lately with all the things that are happening around him all the time..... would he really have time to build the cyclotron at all?

regards

Jack