Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
Kindle 1 price plummets

people are ditching there kindle 1's at ridiculous prices. I see a used like new condition for $225 under kindle 1 product page. I did not expect people would be willing to get rid of them so cheap. I can see them getting under $200 in a few hrs.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
people are ditching there kindle 1's at ridiculous prices. I see a used like new condition for $225 under kindle 1 product page. I did not expect people would be willing to get rid of them so cheap. I can see them getting under $200 in a few hrs.

I might actually buy another one for a backup. Lets see how low the prices go.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I might actually buy another one for a backup. Lets see how low the prices go.........
No kidding.

In my mind, this rather "meh" announcement has actually increased the value of the original Kindle in my eyes.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm surprised they are getting rid of them already, they'll need to wait a few weeks before the K2s come in.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Certainly a good opportunity to get a good deal on a K1. I wonder if there are any eBays with new in box Kindle 1s... they may have to take a loss on them at this point... unless they sell them international.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Or quickly jumping above $500 and staying there as people figure out that the new kindle doesn't really add many features and dropped both SD card support and the replaceable battery.

If you do have a Kindle 1, watch for the custom covers to start being dumped on the market, as well. Some were on the K1 backlist and are now getting the K2, but had already ordered SD cards, batteries, M-Edge and Oberon covers, decalgirl designs, etc.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Or quickly jumping above $500 and staying there as people figure out that the new kindle doesn't really add many features and dropped both SD card support and the replaceable battery.

Right. And also dropped the free cover. The K2 with cover will cost $390. Bummer.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
w00t maybe it's time to pick one up for the wife.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
dropped both SD card support and the replaceable battery.

I
Well, according to the last page of the manual, it does say ""AC power adapter and replaceable, rechargeable lithium polymer battery.""

However, there are no instructions for taking off the back cover and replacing the old battery, like there was for the old one.

Perhaps its a simple 'insert dime and remove' application. But why wouldn't they just say so?

Last edited by desertgrandma; 02-09-2009 at 02:53 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Right. And also dropped the free cover. The K2 with cover will cost $390. Bummer.
I'm interested in getting a better look at the Amazon cover for the K2 and how it mounts.

I do think it should have been supplied, as with the K1.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I got 300 for mine on eBay on Saturday. Whew!
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I'm interested in getting a better look at the Amazon cover for the K2 and how it mounts.

I do think it should have been supplied, as with the K1.
I agree it should have been supplied. Apparently the Amazon cover clips in:

Posted here by Lilly.

There are some other cases that use elastic.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
looks to me that some velcro will be needed for the Kindle II as well
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I agree it should have been supplied. Apparently the Amazon cover clips in
Thanks. Hopefully it is (as it looks to be) a more secure attachment that the Kindle 1 cover. I know it worked for some, but it never worked well for me at all -- I bought an M-Edge cover pretty quickly after I got my Kindle.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Creating a newer, more expensive model often makes the original go up in value (as people want to have the "next to best one.")

But we may see the prices shoot back up once there is a supply problem with the new model. People may be willing to go "well, I can get one of these old ones NOW and it's not much different."
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote