Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
st2k10
st2k10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (2015)
Battery problem

I have a Glo HD (2015 model, originally Ver 3.18 when I bought it) that worked flawlessly for 6 months. About 2 weeks ago, it suddenly started acting strange with the battery life after I did a sync.

To prepare for this thread, last night I plugged the Kobo into a wall charger and let it charge overnight. I had the WiFi off, no brightness, no image when in the off mode and made sure it was actually off. This morning, the screen showed 100% charge (even when the Glo is shut off, it showed the battery % in the lower left corner). I did nothing with it for the day as I was at work.

Tonight, I turned it on for the first time and the battery indicator showed 100%. I tapped the setup tab (horizontal bars in top right corner) and it opened the little window at the top, showing the battery, wifi, brightness etc. Immediately, the battery indicator dropped to 37%!!!

I checked the version and it appears that there has been an update to Ver 3.19.5761 (0e028f3185, 12/29/15). I believe this update came in when I synced my Kobo around 2 weeks ago, when all this started.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, did you find a resolution? Do I have a bum machine after 6 months?

Thanks much...

ST
st2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There was a recent discussion on this in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=277155. That includes some things to check.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
st2k10
st2k10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (2015)
Thanks davidfor. I will try some of the things in that thread.

I do have a question though: If it turns out that there is some bug in the newest update, is it possible to download and install an older image? For example, when I bought mine, it had Ver 3.15 or 3.18 (can't recall which at the moment). Can I find an older version, download it and install it and get my Kobo back to the way it was the day I bought it? And would I be able to not have to go through the setup process?...because that will just pop the Ver 3.9.7561 (or whatever it is now) back in and it will have been a waste of time/effort to do this whole procedure.

Thank you...
st2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'd do a factory reset. I find many times after an update this can solved a whole lot of problems on any device.

I moved your thread to the regular Kobo forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by st2k10 View Post
Thanks davidfor. I will try some of the things in that thread.

I do have a question though: If it turns out that there is some bug in the newest update, is it possible to download and install an older image? For example, when I bought mine, it had Ver 3.15 or 3.18 (can't recall which at the moment). Can I find an older version, download it and install it and get my Kobo back to the way it was the day I bought it? And would I be able to not have to go through the setup process?...because that will just pop the Ver 3.9.7561 (or whatever it is now) back in and it will have been a waste of time/effort to do this whole procedure.
Yes, you can. There is a thread with links to just about all released versions of the firmware. There are instructions early in the thread for using them. I can't remember if the thread has instructions for exactly what you want to do, but they have been posted in this forum quite a few times. But, it means using the Kobo desktop application to do the setup and replacing the firmware files it copies to the device before ejecting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert