Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why can't we use dicount codes with eBooks from Harpercollins?

Why is it that Kobo has not updated their storefront software to allow discount codes to be used with eBooks from Harpercollins? Harpercollins has already agreed to the DoJ settlement. So using discount codes is now allowed?

Who at Kobo is responsible for this debacle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it that Kobo has not updated their storefront software to allow discount codes to be used with eBooks from Harpercollins? Harpercollins has already agreed to the DoJ settlement. So using discount codes is now allowed?

Who at Kobo is responsible for this debacle?
Kobo is a Canadian company and my understanding is that a similar settlement would be required in Canada unless I'm missing something.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Amazon and Harper Collins had one contract. Harper Collins and Kobo another. Amazon and HC negotiated prior to the mandatory date--which is why only HC has changed pricing on Amazon, and the other two publishers are still under the Agency model.

Kobo cannot lower the prices unilaterally while they are still covered by the old contract. My guess is that with Kobo having a relatively small part of the US market, they are not high on the HC list for negotiations. When a new contract is created that complies with the DOJ order (and I don't expect it will happen before the mandated date), Harper Collins will STILL set the base price of each and every book sold--however Kobo should then be able to discount--just as Amazon can do today.

Even then, it would be US purchases only, unless the publisher decides to change the Canadian contract without being forced to do so.

I'd love to know why your first response was to rag on Kobo, John.

Last edited by taming; 09-16-2012 at 06:53 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Amazon and Harper Collins had one contract. Harper Collins and Kobo another. Amazon and HC negotiated prior to the mandatory date--which is why only HC has changed pricing on Amazon, and the other two publishers are still under the Agency model.

Kobo cannot lower the prices unilaterally while they are still covered by the old contract. My guess is that with Kobo having a relatively small part of the US market, they are not high on the HC list for negotiations. When a new contract is created that complies with the DOJ order (and I don't expect it will happen before the mandated date), Harper Collins will STILL set the base price of each and every book sold--however Kobo should then be able to discount--just as Amazon can do today.

Even then, it would be US purchases only, unless the publisher decides to change the Canadian contract without being forced to do so.

I'd love to know why your first response was to rag on Kobo, John.
The thing is, it's not longer not allowed to discount HC eBooks sold for the US eBook market. Amazon is doing it. BooksOnBoard is doing it. Kobo should be allowing discounts on HC eBooks. But they aren't. If it is a contract issue, then Kobo should be on HC trying to get a new contract to allow discounts.

I would have expected (by now) Kobo to release a statement as to what is going on with HC and why we still cannot use discount codes.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I would never expect a company to release a statement about on-going negotiations. My hope is that Kobo is pushing for an agreement that doesn't just cover HC in the US, but also the prices of HC books in all of the markets they serve.

I know you're a great Sony fan. Are you getting great discount pricing of HC books there?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I would never expect a company to release a statement about on-going negotiations. My hope is that Kobo is pushing for an agreement that doesn't just cover HC in the US, but also the prices of HC books in all of the markets they serve.

I know you're a great Sony fan. Are you getting great discount pricing of HC books there?
So far, BooksOnBoard and Amazon are able to discount Harpercollins eBooks. I was hoping Kobo would be able to and we could use discount codes.

I'm not saying Kobo should give us all the details of any negotiations with Harpercollins, but a general sort of "We are working on negotiations with HC to move away from agency pricing and hope to have something in place soon." would be just fine. As it is, we don't know squat or even if negotiations are happening.