Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
mysteries published by BAEN

in another thread i mentioned how much i've appreciated Baen's philosophy and approach to ebooks ever since first learning about them, and i was feeling a bit frustrated because they are the perfect example of a publisher i want to support (more directly than simply by citing them as a shining example and recommending them to others at every occasion, as i already do ), but... i just don't like science fiction very much, so their catalogue didn't appeal to me. i wish they published mysteries as well, since that is my favorite genre (if i have to choose one...).

however, a couple of people have pointed out that Baen actually *does* publish some mysteries (see quoted posts below) although they are sf / mystery or fantasy / mystery. and as i've recently discovered, i actually *do* enjoy some fantasy (i don't really pay much attention to genres in general, so i might not even have realised that it was fantasy), like Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

so i thought, maybe Baen has some other books which might appeal to me and other people who feel the same.

i prefer mysteries which are well-thought out, with well-developped characters and good plots. not too gory or violent please. and preferably not too scary either (it will keep me awake all night !).

some mystery authors i appreciate :
SS Van Dine
JD Carr / Carter Dickson
Léo Malet
Fred Vargas
Marjorie Eccles (Detective Mayo)
Dorothy Sayers (Lord Peter Wimsey)
Ian Rankin
Agatha Christie
Mary Roberts Rineheart
Anna Katharine Green
J.W. van der Wetering
émile Gaboriau
Arthur Conan Doyle
Gaston Leroux
GK Chesterton

recommendations for mysteries published by Baen :

any other recommendations ? please give a short description as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
They do publish some mysteries. For example, the Detective Inspector Chen books are a fascinating hybrid SF/Fantasy/Mystery series set in a near-future "Singapore 5" (a franchise city based off of Singapore). Inspector Chen serves as the Police Department's main liaison with Heaven and Hell, and gets stuck with investigating all cases with supernatural connections. The "Heaven and Hell" in question are the traditional Chinese versions, complete with the Imperial Personage who is in charge of Heaven and the various bureaucracies that run things in Hell.

The cases are interesting mysteries that "play fair" with the reader by presenting all necessary evidence before Chen solves the case. They're also quite charming SF/Fantasy -- Chen's wife is a demon, he winds up with a sidekick who works for Hell's Vice Squad (as in Vice, promotion of), his colleagues are thoroughly wierded out by his celestial and infernal connections, and on and on.

Highly recommended.

Similarly, some of the various SF books that Baen publishes are also quality mysteries. It's just that mystery isn't their specialty.

Xenophon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
One more Fantasy/Mystery published by Baen is Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy stories, taking place in an analog of Earth where magic developed and science didn't (much).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
There are some Glen Cook's books on Baen, but sadly not his Garrett files (I adore them)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
There are some Glen Cook's books on Baen, but sadly not his Garrett files (I adore them)
thanks mth for the recommendation ! what kind of stories are those ? the ones i saw didn't seem to be mysteries. i'm specifically looking for mystery stories published by Baen here, although other mystery recommendations are welcome too...
Old 04-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Oh! What an excellent thread. This is exactly what I'm interested in, too (though I do like sci-fi/fantasy already).

The Detective Inspector Chen books look especially good.
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
Oh! What an excellent thread. This is exactly what I'm interested in, too (though I do like sci-fi/fantasy already).

i'm glad you're interested too ! :

please come back and let us know what you think of the books after you read them. and also if you find any other good mysteries there.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrainbb View Post
I'd like to add my recommendation. I especially like the badger/teakettle...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks mth for the recommendation ! what kind of stories are those ? the ones i saw didn't seem to be mysteries. i'm specifically looking for mystery stories published by Baen here, although other mystery recommendations are welcome too...
Glen Cook has written an extensive series of books that are basically classic Hard-boiled Detective novels (similar to the works of Mickey Spillane) -- except that the PI (Garrett) works in a fantasy setting with assorted magicians, wizards, elves, etc. For example, his number one ally is a vegetarian dark-elf assassin. The first book in the series is Sweet Silver Blues. They're lots of fun, but are not available at Baen.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

i've started a wishlist on baen and i'm adding books to it. i've got quite a backlog of books for the moment but i hope to try these out soon.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Glen Cook has written an extensive series of books that are basically classic Hard-boiled Detective novels (similar to the works of Mickey Spillane) -- except that the PI (Garrett) works in a fantasy setting with assorted magicians, wizards, elves, etc. For example, his number one ally is a vegetarian dark-elf assassin. The first book in the series is Sweet Silver Blues. They're lots of fun, but are not available at Baen.

Xenophon
oh, that's disappointing. but i'll keep them in mind anyway, because they sound interesting. thanks !
Old 04-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A series available at Baen that is sort-of similar to Glen Cook's Garrett PI series is the Thraxas series. Thraxas is a middle-aged, fat PI who drinks too much, gambles too much and is perpetually broke. He's also a pretty decent investigator. Fantasy setting, relatively hard-boiled style, corrupt local government, etc.

These books are somewhat more in the direction of humor or satire, but they are also pretty good mystery/detective stories.

Xenophon
Old 04-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
A series available at Baen that is sort-of similar to Glen Cook's Garrett PI series is the Thraxas series. Thraxas is a middle-aged, fat PI who drinks too much, gambles too much and is perpetually broke. He's also a pretty decent investigator. Fantasy setting, relatively hard-boiled style, corrupt local government, etc.

These books are somewhat more in the direction of humor or satire, but they are also pretty good mystery/detective stories.

Xenophon
hey, i love humour and satire ! that sounds pretty good to me. i'm adding it to my wishlist. thanks !
Old 04-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Xenophon
THOROUGHLY seconded. The "Thraxas" books are wonderful. I'm especially fond of his barbarian, ax-wielding, chainmail-bikini-wearing girlfriend . They're written by Martin Scott. Although they can be read independently, they're best read as a series. Unfortunately it all rather ends "mid story" because the author had a contractual disagreement with Baen over what should have been the final book in the series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Yet another series that is a Fantasy/Mystery/Adventure hybrid: the Doc Sidhe books by Aaron Allston. While these books include a mystery component, they are primarily an homage to the old "Doc Savage" pulp mystery-adventure novels. Fun reading, but may have a marginal connection to what you are after.

Xenophon
Old 04-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
THOROUGHLY seconded. The "Thraxas" books are wonderful. I'm especially fond of his barbarian, ax-wielding, chainmail-bikini-wearing** girlfriend . They're written by Martin Scott. Although they can be read independently, they're best read as a series. Unfortunately it all rather ends "mid story" because the author had a contractual disagreement with Baen over what should have been the final book in the series.
Harry:

At the ** you forgot to add: "feminist activist, far smarter and more deadly than he is".

Xenophon
Old 04-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

pretty soon i'm going to rename this thread "ask Xenophon" thanks for all the great recommendations !

Tags
baen, mystery