Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
How many ereaders have you had

I only have one ereader at the moment, a Kindle Paperwhite but I have had many in the past: A Pandgital Novel, two Aluratek Libra Pros, a Kindle three and finally the latest one. So far the Kindle three has survived the longest of all of them. How about you?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Some of my past devices weren't e-readers, but I definitely read ebooks on them, as early as 1993... my list is in the side panel under my avatar, but I'll spell it out better here:

Newton, Original Message Pad (Sold)
Newton 120 (Still have this somewhere)
Palm 3 (I LOVED the autoscrolling feature of the Palm ereader program I had! I still miss that)
Palm 3c (A step backwards for readability, a step forward for other tasks)
Compaq iPAQ 3850 (still have this in a cabinet somewhere)
Moto Droid (Touchscreen stopped working)
Kindle 3 (Gave to my son)
iPhone 4S (Still use)
iPad 2 (Still use)
Kindle Paperwhite (Still use)
Kindle DX (Still use)

Last edited by twowheels; 07-11-2013 at 02:48 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I have had three and my wife has had two.

For my wife:
Sony PRS-505
Sony PRS-650

For me...
Ectaco Jetbook
Sony PRS-505 (my wife's old one)
Nook STR.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I can't recall the exact amount, since I went through a period where my K3's kept breaking, but I'd say probably around 20 maybe? Give or take one or two. However, currently I have a K1, K2i, K3, K4S, K4B, KT, Nook Touch, Kobo Mini, and a Jetbook Mini.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Kindle Keyboard - went to the man
Sony T1 - went to my dad, then he gave it to his wife
Nook STR - went to the kid
Kobo Glo - mine
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Dedicated devices
Sony PRS 505 (still have, borrowed to nephew)
Kindle 2us (still have)
Bookeen Opus (still have)
Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro (returned)
Kindle 3 (still have)
Kindle Touch (still use)
Kobo Aura HD (still use)

Other devices I've used for reading
Palm IIIxe (gave to friend)
Toshiba Pocket PC e310 (sold)
Palm Tungsten T (still have somewhere)
Palm Treo 700wx (still have somewhere)
HTC Hero (still have)
Nook Color (gave to Mom)
Nook Tab (still have)
Samsung Galaxy S - Epic 4G (Still have)
Kobo Vox (returned)
Asus Transformer TF101 (still have)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (still use)
Nexus 7 (still use)
iPhone 5 (still use)
Nook HD+ (still use)

might be forgetting a couple
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Sony Clié: couple of types; I forget exactly; I used the PDAs as ereaders until the batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore and they were so obsolete I couldn't get decent replacements.

Sony PRS-505. Favorite so far; the standard against which I measure other ereaders. Edges out Pocket Pro by showing title/author of RTF files from the metadata instead of the filename.

Jetbook. Lasted about 2 weeks--gave to daughter; screen cracked in her purse. Warranty didn't cover it (Sony covered a broken substrate). Decided that if it was that fragile it didn't need replacing; haven't considered a Jetbook reader since.

GemStar Reader. Worked with a for a few weeks; the software was old and didn't want to cooperate. Gave up.

Astak Pocket Pro: 2nd favorite so far; would probably be favorite if the html and doc support didn't suck. Have owned two. Batteries won't hold a charge anymore.

Sony PRS-300: bought for husband; borrow occasionally.

Sony PRS-600: Borrowed from a friend when PRS-505 was stolen. Screen glare annoying.

Kobo Mini: new reader. Disappointed in rtf and html support, although not as bad as the Pocket Pro. Not fond of touchscreen.

Still looking for something that works as well as the 505 but with a faster processor.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
-PRS-950 (main ereader, with 1 spare (GF has her own), used for most cases except large/troublesome PDFs/ebooks)

-Onyx M92 (used for large PDFs, or ebooks with larger number of graphics)

-Kindle 3 (disused)

-PRS-T1 (disused)

<forlorn_hope>
I hope that the next Sony reader has both a frontlight and is as good as the x50 series for PDFs...probably asking for too much
</forlorn_hope>
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I can't recall the exact amount, since I went through a period where my K3's kept breaking, but I'd say probably around 20 maybe? Give or take one or two. However, currently I have a K1, K2i, K3, K4S, K4B, KT, Nook Touch, Kobo Mini, and a Jetbook Mini.
This list doesn't match your signature! Somebody's fibbing!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Wow... I am an amateur compared to some of these folks. Still new to the field (as of springtime)!

Kobo Mini: My first e-reader! Bought on a whim in April. Love it; it does what I need it to, and is definitely my go-to device. Just bought one on sale to give to my mother for a birthday gift.

Sony PRS-350: Hubby's eReader. We originally bought the Mini and the PRS-350 at the same time, intending to try them both and keep the one that we liked the best, but each of us liked different ones for different reasons (preferences) and we realized we wouldn't be able to SHARE one reader...

Sony PRS-650: I bought this last month to try a larger screen and the Sony format (love the Mahjong on the hacked firmware!)... but I don't use this as much as my Mini.

HP Touchpad, iPad, iPhone 4S: Not a fan of reading on LCD screens, so until I got my eInk device I had never used the reading apps on them. I still prefer using them just to read image-intensive eBooks (I like to pick up the freebies on Kindle once in awhile).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Current Devices:

Kindle paperwhite
Kobo mini x 2
Nook simple touch
iPad mini
Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1
iPod touch 5th generation
Samsung galaxy note

Past devices:

Sony PRS- 300
Kindle keyboard (K3)
Kindle touch
Kobo glo
Nexus 7
iPhone 4
iPhone 3G
Samsung galaxy Y

Last edited by shanghaichica; 07-11-2013 at 03:29 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Kindle 4NT - My first reader. It's now used primarily by my wife.
Kobo Arc - Thought I would enjoy reading on it, but now it's just a tablet.
Kobo Mini - I bought one, sold it and then bought another for way cheaper.
Kobo Glo - Sold it when I decided to upgrade to a Aura
Kobo Aura - Rock on!
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Kindle 4NT - My first reader. It's now used primarily by my wife.
Well geez... if you're including family members' e-readers, add 2 more K3s and another DX to my list. :-) [oh, and that white one with the plastic e-ink like display that big lots was selling for a while...]
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
This list doesn't match your signature! Somebody's fibbing!
No so! I included different kinds of ereaders that I've had, however I only included the types that I no longer own. If I currently have a K3, I wouldn't include it in the list, despite the fact I have had more than one in the past. For instance, I've probably owned about - 6 or 7 K3's, several of which I've sold or given away.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Sony PRS 500 -- Sold to someone in Scotland
Kindle 1 -- Still have, and it's useful
Kindle 2 -- Donated to Len Edgerly's ereaders for the troops
Kindle 3 -- Still have, and still use occasionally. In many ways, my favorite ereader
Kindle Touch -- Given to my sister.
Kindle PW -- My primary reader, though I hate the bezel, which shows every fingerprint, and wish it had page turn buttons, because it's commonplace for it to skip two pages and then I have to page back.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote