Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #511
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I've got a book that I can't find the title for too. I thought it was by Charles Williams, but it might have been one of the other Inklings .... or just somebody my mind connected with them. It starts with a gal who has been afraid all her life of somebody who follows her in the shadows. A friend (in theatre?) finally gets her to talk about it, and through sharing her fear, she is able to let the "follower" actually meet her .... and it turns out to be herself. And it turns out that she has been bearing some of the pain/fear for an ancient ancestor who was burned at the stake as a martyr.

None of the Charles Williams titles I saw looked like the right book -- but maybe I just didn't recognize it! Anybody know?
Further descriptions of his books leads me to think I'm looking for "Descent Into Hell". In case anybody wondered!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #512
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm trying to remember one that I read in middle school. I think it won some sort of award (and had a silver circle stamped into the dust jacket) but I can't recall the author's name or the Title. I remember it was a thick book and in one scene a character had just returned from travel to somewhere or somewhen (I think it dealt with time travel of a sort) and the characters took turns going to other places/times somehow or other. Does the book sound familiar to anyone here?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #513
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've never read the book, but is it A Wrinkle in Time?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #514
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I'm trying to remember one that I read in middle school. I think it won some sort of award (and had a silver circle stamped into the dust jacket) but I can't recall the author's name or the Title. I remember it was a thick book and in one scene a character had just returned from travel to somewhere or somewhen (I think it dealt with time travel of a sort) and the characters took turns going to other places/times somehow or other. Does the book sound familiar to anyone here?
Could you be a bit less specific crich?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #515
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I've never read the book, but is it A Wrinkle in Time?
I don't think so. As I recall the main characters were grown men who were friends. They would meet at a club and then one of them would go off on a journey to somewhere/somewhen leaving the others at the table. I was around 12-13 at the time I read the book which would have been around 1982-83 (or at least part of it as the school year ended before I got to finish it).
Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #516
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Could you be a bit less specific crich?
Sorry, I guess it is a rather vague description. I don't remember much as I was 12-13 yrs old back then (in 1982-83) but I do know it had won some sort of award as I do remember it had a silver medallion of some sort stamped in the dust cover.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #517
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Didn't mean to poke fun - it was the somewhen's, somehow's and somewhere's in your description that rather tickled me. I'm a big time travel genre fan, but I don't recognise it from the detail provided so far. Do you remember any of the places they visited?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #518
orlok
Close to the Edit!

A couple or three possibilities:

Time Storm by Gordon R. Dickson - Marc Despard graduates from an involuntary time traveler to a deliberate time travel, picking up many fellow travelers along the way.

Vintage Season by C L Moore - Time travellers from the future experience vintage seasons in the past.

Time's Last Gift by Philip Jose Farmer - Four scientists/anthropologists travel from 2070 A.D. to 12,000 B.C.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #519
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
A couple or three possibilities:

Time Storm by Gordon R. Dickson - Marc Despard graduates from an involuntary time traveler to a deliberate time travel, picking up many fellow travelers along the way.

Vintage Season by C L Moore - Time travellers from the future experience vintage seasons in the past.

Time's Last Gift by Philip Jose Farmer - Four scientists/anthropologists travel from 2070 A.D. to 12,000 B.C.
It doesn't sound like any of the three, though they do sound like good stories. I think I've heard of Vintage Season before though it's been yrs.
In what little I can remember of the book in question one minute a character would be sitting at a table with several others and then he'd be elsewhere in some future world (as I remember it).
Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #520
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
A man who lives alone and normally keeps to himself, is just about to start his vacation. He receives a letter (first of several I think) which threatens to kill someone in his family - a niece I think , who he was not close to - if he didn't kill himself (I think that's the threat). He lives in NY I think and communicates with the threatener via classified adds in a paper, I think the NY Times. There was a murder in the subway, a major fire, there are some homeless person(s) involved I think.

Trigger any bells with anyone? Thanks for any help. It's really been bugging me.
Better late than never. The book you are referring to is almost certainly "The Analyst" by John Katzenbach. Link on Amazon is

http://www.amazon.com/Analyst-John-K.../dp/0345426274
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #521
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Better late than never. The book you are referring to is almost certainly "The Analyst" by John Katzenbach. Link on Amazon is

http://www.amazon.com/Analyst-John-K.../dp/0345426274
WOW! Yes that is the book! Thank you!

I can't remember how I selected this book - this isn't one of my usual authors (I can't even remember ever seeing his name) so that's why it's been eluding me. Maybe someone recommended it, or I read a review somewhere. It was before my eBook days so I probably borrowed it from the library.

Thank you for setting my mind at ease. I will look up other books from this author as it was a good read.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #522
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

I can't remember how I selected this book - this isn't one of my usual authors (I can't even remember ever seeing his name) so that's why it's been eluding me. Maybe someone recommended it, or I read a review somewhere. It was before my eBook days so I probably borrowed it from the library.

Thank you for setting my mind at ease. I will look up other books from this author as it was a good read.
Wow.. that sounds good. Added to my wishlist... damn you!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #523
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I don't think so. As I recall the main characters were grown men who were friends. They would meet at a club and then one of them would go off on a journey to somewhere/somewhen leaving the others at the table. I was around 12-13 at the time I read the book which would have been around 1982-83 (or at least part of it as the school year ended before I got to finish it).
This description makes me think of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, but I haven't actually read the book. Your mention of a medallion makes me think it might have been a Newbery honor book, but Callahan's didn't win that.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 AM   #524
alfiepops09
alfiepops09 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
any help would be appreciated!!!

hello all been trying to rememeber a book i read but it is driving me mad!! cant recall the author or name so can only describe what the story was about!!

its about a man who finds himself in some sort of pergatory/parallel universe which is in darkness, he finds a bus abandonded and a sort of companion in something he calls dogthing,

he is running from someone called oneeyed jack?? and he has to find pieces of a watch?? to escape

sorry i cant be more specific but the book was written in about 17/18 parts and i never got to finish it so hoping someone can help me out with the name

much appreciated thanks
alfiepops09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #525
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:

Glad I could help. I read the book a number of years ago but remember enjoying it at the time and passing on my copy to others. It is one of the better books of its type and difficult to put down.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths