Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
HiSoC8Y
HiSoC8Y began at the beginning.

Device: iRex
Question if PDF is not the best format for iLiad, then what is?

Hi

i read several threads that PDF won't look good on an 8'' screen...then which format is good?

also, if i have PDFs, can i convert them to the best format for iLiad?
HiSoC8Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I think those threads are probably talking about the page size that a PDF is created for, not specifically any issues with the iLiad and PDFs. If you have a PDF which was created with an A4 size then it will be relatively small when viewd on the iLiad with only an 8" diagonal screen (although zooming works pretty well). If you have PDFs that have been created for a smaller screen, then they will work a lot better.

The main issue is that PDFs don't automatically reflow, but are rather "hard coded" for a specific screen size. Larger devices like the DR1000S will do a better job of displaying A4 sized documents.

Mobipocket is the format the iLiad uses which supports reflowing and automatically adjusting to the screen size. You might be able to convert the PDF to a Mobipocket format (depending on the file), however if you are going to do the work of converting, you could also convert a standard A4 PDF to an 8" PDF. That's what I do a lot because I like the PDF features in the iLiad better than the Mobipocket features. With PDFs you can encode just about any fonts that you want into the document, with Mobipocket you're limited to a single font (unless you hack the device).

It may be harder (or impossible) to convert a PDF though, depending on whether or not it has any DRM or complicated layout/images.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
HiSoC8Y
HiSoC8Y began at the beginning.

Device: iRex
thanks for the info
HiSoC8Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
bertold
Connoisseur
bertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it is

Device: iRex iLiad v2, Onyx Boox Note 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
you could also convert a standard A4 PDF to an 8" PDF. That's what I do a lot because I like the PDF features in the iLiad better than the Mobipocket features. With PDFs you can encode just about any fonts that you want into the document, with Mobipocket you're limited to a single font (unless you hack the device).
Can you please explain how you do that? Including how to encode your own
font into the PDF? The one thing I hate most about the Mobi reader is the
font. It's absolutely horrible. A nice 8" PDF with the font of my choice would
be great.
bertold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertold View Post
be great.
I've you've got office 2007 (Or acrobat 9) you can say 'convert to PDF' as either a print or an addon option that uses the document fonts.. For printing, I'd suggest you use a font like Constantia, or Palatino Linotype (I generally like those)
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
bertold
Connoisseur
bertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it is

Thanks, zero. I'll give that a try.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertold View Post
be great.
I use BookDesigner. You basically import the document and do any cleanup you want. Then it's got a nice menu option for "make iLiad" that will automatically setup the right page size/etc. It also gives you options about picking the font you want to use and the font size. Once you tell it you're done it "prints" the document as a PDF file.

I'm sure there are lots of other applications that will let you "print to PDF", that's just the one I use. As someone else mentioned, MS Office will do it too, but you'd need to tell it the page size to use (don't know it off the top of my head).
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I use BookDesigner. You basically import the document and do any cleanup you want. Then it's got a nice menu option for "make iLiad" that will automatically setup the right page size/etc. It also gives you options about picking the font you want to use and the font size. Once you tell it you're done it "prints" the document as a PDF file.

I'm sure there are lots of other applications that will let you "print to PDF", that's just the one I use. As someone else mentioned, MS Office will do it too, but you'd need to tell it the page size to use (don't know it off the top of my head).
Slightly larger than ISO B5 works best. (in combination with a font size of 9-9.5)
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
bertold
Connoisseur

Thanks Shaggy and zero for your input.