Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
hoodaman
the new guy
hoodaman began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
another hello thread

Hey guys/gals. My name's Dave and I, like you, am interested in the idea that books don't have to be on paper. I've read a few books on my computer; 1984, a few books on Lucid Dreaming but I've never really liked the idea of sitting at my desktop with my mouse turned upside down, constantly running my finger over the scrollbar, staring at an LCD for the better part of a few days until I was finished.

Ergonomics. That's all I'm saying. So I set out to find something that would make this endeavor a more comfortable one. Now, with the advent of this E-ink stuff, it looks like I may have found what I'm looking for.

I've been lurking, reading the posts on here for a few days and just kinda researching this whole technology and finding out what people who are in the thick of it have to say. It's been fun just milling over the "what should I buy" topics or the "the be all end all ereader would do X things" topics. I figure, you guys have something of value to say due to experience with it so here I am, come to join the circus.

Looking forward to learning what works on what, what's a pain to deal with, what's WAY outta my price range and "politefully disagreeing" with some of you guys on whatever.

Later,
Dave
hoodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead Dave. I think you will find that uniformity of thought is about the last thing we have around here.

As you may have already found, there are e-ink people (iLiad, Sony, and a few more at the moment with a few more promised soon) and LCD people (PDAs like the Palms and older ereaders.) Some use tablet PCs and a few are starting to go the way of ultra mobile pcs or UMPC. They are all right.

Check out our Wiki (there is a link at the top left of the page.) There are charts showing the attributes of each device, what format displays on what device, and a page of conversion utilities for changing formats.

If you do decide on a device that supports LRF (Sony only) or the MobiPocket format (many devices including a free download for your pc) MobileRead has a great download eBook section of public domain ebooks contributed by the members.

Look around, kick the tires, and ask any questions you want. We all started here the same way.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I think you will find that uniformity of thought is about the last thing we have around here.
Heh, that may be the single most widely held idea around here!

Welcome to MobileRead, hoodaman! We're pleased to have you join the circus!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
uh-huh uh-huh

Welcome and what he said.........awesome site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Welcome to MobileRead Dave. I think you will find that uniformity of thought is about the last thing we have around here.

As you may have already found, there are e-ink people (iLiad, Sony, and a few more at the moment with a few more promised soon) and LCD people (PDAs like the Palms and older ereaders.) Some use tablet PCs and a few are starting to go the way of ultra mobile pcs or UMPC. They are all right.

Check out our Wiki (there is a link at the top left of the page.) There are charts showing the attributes of each device, what format displays on what device, and a page of conversion utilities for changing formats.

If you do decide on a device that supports LRF (Sony only) or the MobiPocket format (many devices including a free download for your pc) MobileRead has a great download eBook section of public domain ebooks contributed by the members.

Look around, kick the tires, and ask any questions you want. We all started here the same way.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I really have to start paying attention to dates........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, Hoodaman. Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Dave
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
tINmOUSE
(stand in: rOBOTmINION)
tINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watchtINmOUSE is clearly one to watch

Device: none yet. Waiting for Mentor.
not to worry desertGrandma, as u can see others have leaped in after you.

and Hoodaman. Hope you have enjoy the year since u joined.
tINmOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote