Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #91
Richard443
Member Retired
Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Richard443 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Thank you. After I read your directions and jumped right in to do it. After I understood what "the little up-arrow thingy at the bottom of the screen" was everything worked.

Thanks again,
Richard
Richard443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #92
thaldric
thaldric began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Broken Screen

Hello, I do not know if this is the place to post this, if not, I am sorry.

I bought a EE on January of this year, and yesterday a friend of mine dropped a heavy frame on the e-ink side and it broke, it no longer writes anything, I have restarted the system a couple of times but it does not work. As far as I know the e-ink is very delicate and any hit would damage it seriously.
The biggest problem is that I do not have support in my country for it (Mexico), So what am writing for is to know if anyone can tell me how can I get a replacement for the screen in order to change it.

I hope you can help me and thanks

Luis M
thaldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #93
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Luis, what a shame!

I don't know whether your screen can be replaced. I just checked ebay to see if there are any good deals now on another EE for you. Nothing great, although there are a few for sale. I saw, too, that someone else is selling an EE with a broken e-ink screen, so you could at least sell yours for parts if you can't get it fixed. Does the LCD side still work?

Anybody else know about fixing e-ink screens, or who to ask??

One way or another, I hope it works out for you, thaldric!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #94
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
getting a replacement for the screen might be hard on the EE, unlike the PE I'm not sure if the EE screen was used in many other consumer electronics(except /maybe/ the kindle DX), the price of one of those screens could very well be about as much as a new EE... sorry, maybe someone else here will know more about them.

once you have one though replacing wouldn't be /too/ hard with some technical knowledge(hardest part would be opening the case).

Last edited by emusan; 07-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #95
thaldric
thaldric began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Broken Screen

Thanks guys, I think it will be very hard to replace it. I have already opened it, that is not the hard part, the problem is to get the part to change it. Do you know if this guys from Suppor Trix have support for hardware?.

Thanks and regards
thaldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #96
OhSewMe
OhSewMe began at the beginning.

Hello all,

Newbie here. Wow, I sure hope I can get all these things right....I am not super tech savvy, and I don't want to mess up my PE that I ordered from 1saleaday yesterday. What would be the very first things I should do after it is fully charged?

Thanks so much!
OSM
OhSewMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #97
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSewMe View Post
Hello all,

Newbie here. Wow, I sure hope I can get all these things right....I am not super tech savvy, and I don't want to mess up my PE that I ordered from 1saleaday yesterday. What would be the very first things I should do after it is fully charged?

Thanks so much!
OSM
First, welcome to MobileRead!

Following the setup directions that come with your new Pocket eDGe you will first connect to WiFi, if you have it. Then register (you will need an Adobe account which you can set up in advance if you don't have one already) and run the update, which might take a while or might be fast, depending on what version of the software your new baby comes with. Once you are as updated as the built-in updater will get you (you should have Dingo (Android 1.6)), I suggest you play around a bit and see what your PE can do! There will be plenty of time to upgrade to Ermine (Android 2.2) once you are comfortable with the unit.

That's my suggestion, others might suggest you go to Ermine right away, or even beyond!

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #98
Filark

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaldric View Post
Thanks guys, I think it will be very hard to replace it. I have already opened it, that is not the hard part, the problem is to get the part to change it. Do you know if this guys from Suppor Trix have support for hardware?.

Thanks and regards
I don't think they do, but probably worth a call to ask!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #99
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Exclamation @OhSewMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSewMe View Post
... What would be the very first things I should do after it is fully charged? Thanks so much! OSM
I agree with Filark, use the PE for awhile to get used to how it works. You might find there is no need, depending on your use, to upgrade to 2.2.

But 'do' perform the official released upgrade from Dingo-1.6 to Dingo-1.13 using the 'update' function located in the "X" (entourage logo) menu.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #100
OhSewMe

Thanks Filark and Gunner! Will do! It said it comes with 1.6, so 1.13 is better?
I will set up Adobe now, as I don't think I have an account....I will mostly be using it to view youtube and websites for tutorials and maybe to make some when I get brave enough. But, oddly, the placement of the webcam has me wondering how well that will work. I can't wait to get that little thing and get it in my sewing room.
It will also prove helpful when wanting to draft my own ideas, as they come to mind. I have a small tablet now (paper), but this will be great!!
I'm so glad I found this site!!
Thanks for any tips you throw my way!!
OSM
Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #101
Limerick
Limerick began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Red face New eDGe user!

Hey you all are great. I got the update to work and am now "browsing" with my edge. Previously it wouldn't connect to the internet (except through a usb cable). Thanks for all the tips/hints. I appreciate it.
Limerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #102
Triskalleon
Enthusiast
Triskalleon began at the beginning.

Device: none
This may be old news for most, but pressing and holding Home causes a list of recently used programs to appear in the middle of the LCD screen, at least in Ermine. It doesn't persist through a reset or power cycle, so it's only for the current session (up-time).
Triskalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #103
Basserx
Edge User
Basserx began at the beginning.

great forum

Just received my PE today. I wasn't sure whether or not to get one with them closing down their site, but the forums seem very helpful with everyone. I am getting to know it tonight and I am posting with it now. I didn't have any problems registering it today. I will upgrade to 2.2 tomorrow. I dont plan on having any problems, but if I do i can see I won't be alone in the dark. Cool and innovative PE plus great forum equals I will be buying one for my wife. She just saw it and is studying to be a nurse. Thanks in advance to all who are so helpful. I am sure I will be reading many of your posts.
Basserx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #104
archiegoodwin
archiegoodwin began at the beginning.

Just wanted to say that when I first got my PE, I found it a little hard to configure, and was a little bit disappointed, thinking that it had severe limitations.

Now, 2 months later, I am very pleased. After some tweaking, and app installations, I have a rooted device, with superuser privileges, connected into my home network (for wireless transfer of files), and I have web browsing, rss feeds, podcasts, e-mail, free VOIP, a calendar, alarms, an ebook and pdf reader on the lcd side (for night-time reading), and much, much more. Who would have thunk it?

Truly, a nifty little device
archiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #105
OhSewMe

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegoodwin View Post
free VOIP
Truly, a nifty little device
I agree archiegoodwin for PE ...very nifty (I hope some place offers them again!!)....may I ask what VOIP you use and how?

Thank you or any others who know of any....and how to get texts maybe?

OSM