Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #16
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I love love love my Droid X and have been using it a lot for ebook reading
Same here. I couldn't be happier with my Moto Droid X and am glad I waited instead of almost getting the HTC Incredible.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #17
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well, I didn't compare them all, just went for the Droid X based on reviews I'd read and knowing it was big .. e.g. a bit more bulky to carry, but to be honest not much more than the iPhone 3G I carry for work (so now I carry two big phones ).

I love love love my Droid X and have been using it a lot for ebook reading on my early morning walks. It's wonderful for that. as well as everything else it does, mp3 player, video player, phone, browser, etc etc etc.

Love it! It was $200 with a two year contract commitment.

The biggest sticker shock for me was the more than doubling of my monthly service fee from about $45 - $95 or so. I dropped DirecTV though ($47/mo) which makes up for it.

My son has the HTC Hero (but has had a few issues with it after the upgrade to Android 2.2) my other son has the original Google Phone (not sure of the model).
I feel the same about my HTC EVO 4G, and (not counting 4G service) the specs are nearly identical to those of the Droid X. While the initial cost is the same, the TCO is less because Sprint's reoccurring fees are somewhat less. And sprint has better service in my area. 4G is a plus, but I rarely use it because it's a battery hog and reduces my battery life by about half.

So, if Sprint has adaquate service in your area, it's worth considering.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

I have a Motorola Droid (Milestone in Oz), and I am very pleased with it. Droid X is its more modern cousin.

Great screen at 480 x 800 - I'd suggest this is the resolution to aim for. I very rarely use the slide-out keypad, because the "soft" keypad is so good. A capacitive touchscreen is better than resistive, and make sure your phone has a flash - it can be used as a torch in emergencies - it amazes me how some phones lack this seemingly basic feature.

Current pricing seems quite reasonable now. I bought a dock for it, and it now serves as my alarm clock whilst charging overnight.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #19
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
There's always something newer and better on the horizon though. I was at dinner with friends and brought out my new phone (new as of this weekend) and one of my freinds complained that he bought it the week it came out and it was really hard to choose between it and the Nexus 1 and he really regrets buying the Behold 2 instead because it came out a few weeks earlier. I can definitely understand that. The Behold 2 is a really buggy device and won't be upgraded beyond 1.6. Still I was able to buy it knowing this so I wasn't disappointed like the early adopters were. I know you already got your phone, but if anyone else is looking at buying a cheap Android phone, I paid $110 shipped for mine and it was brand new down to the stickers on the screen and came with all the accessories. I'm really cheap so I use it with the $10 data plan I set up on my poor Nokia Nuron 6 months ago and haven't had any problems so far. First thing to do with it though is flash it to a decent rom.

I wish you the best of luck with your new phone
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote