Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Ah, yea that is nice, I wish they were in stores here already I would like to look at one. Disappointing if the 650 really isn't as crisp as the Kobo, though I imagine custom fonts or changing fonts would hopefully improve that. I have been looking at the 650 for a little while now, though this and lack of connectivity may kill it for me. That only leaves me with the Nook as an option really though.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatt View Post
Disappointing if the 650 really isn't as crisp as the Kobo ... I have been looking at the 650 for a little while now, though this and lack of connectivity may kill it for me.
Ronw's perspective might differ slightly, but there is something about the font rendering on the Kobo which is quite nice -- I remember being captivated by the appearance of the letters when I first started using the ereader. Come to think of it, I probably like the look of the Kobo's font better than the Sony's.

Overall however, in terms of reading experience, the 350's text is a darker black and therefore has better contrast against the background, which also looks paler. For me, there's definitely not as strong a contrast between the Kobo's text and its background, with the text looking greyish and faded in comparison. I suppose that's the natural outcome of Pearl vs Viziplex.

So, maybe the Kobo just uses a very elegant serif font? (I never used the sans-serif option.)

Last edited by viviena; 09-15-2010 at 09:49 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #18
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Could you post a photo of it please?
This is pretty much the only report of Pearl screen being worse than Viziplex.
I'd also like to see photo of the Kobo and 650 side by side displaying the same page of the same book.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #19
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuzaboss View Post
I'd also like to see photo of the Kobo and 650 side by side displaying the same page of the same book.
Me too. Can't believe that the new Pearl without touchscreen layer should be so bad.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
Kloos
Kloos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs up Sony Reader PRS-650

Come on RONW give us a picture so that we can see the difference in screens. It's still the most important thing for a reader.

I saw the PRS-650 screen and I think it's the best to-day in the market.
Kloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 02:09 AM   #21
BSquaredInOz
BSquaredInOz began at the beginning.

I used a friend's Kobo for a week to see if I would like it before buying - page turning was too slow for me and there were other things that didn't suit me. I waited and have bought a Sony PRS-650. It's much more responsive and the font is perfectly clear to me - I don't have the Kobo anymore to compare but it doesn't feel worse. the Sony has loads of other things I wanted and page turns are brilliant in comparison to the Kobo
BSquaredInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #22
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
does anyone know if the 600's case will fit the 650?

(i'm sold on the 650 btw. The feature set and contrast improvements are well worth it.)
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:37 AM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
'Fraid not. The 650 is smaller in dimension than the 600.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #24
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
The Kobo font is nice. I've seen it in the store, Do anyone know what type of font it's using? The PRS-650 screen is great. I took my PRS-505 with me when I went to see it and it beat it hands down. For a touchscreen, I was happy that Sony finally got it right.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Another MR pal (in Tasmania) put me onto this thread, Ron. If you're having problems in actually getting compatible books, visit my website (linked below), pick our two or three titles that catch your eye, and I'd be happy to send them over in the format of your choice with our compliments. Very best. Neil (ntmarrATbewrite.net -- but use the @ sign, of course)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post

(i'm sold on the 650 btw. The feature set and contrast improvements are well worth it.)
Nope, the 505, the 600 and the 650 are all just too different to be able to interchange cases. An act of malicious design or luck of the draw? You be the judge...

BTW to all HARDCORE 505ophiles out there, the 650 does indeed surpass the venerable 505 in terms of screen quality, speed and awesomeness. I never thought that they'd improve on the 505, and was always pretty smug about the "failures" of the 700/600 series, but WOW. I tried to do a photo spread of the 300, 600, 505 and 650, but my photography skills coupled with the inability to photograph eink really didn't work. Sony might have come from behind in the third period to force overtime with Amazon...
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #27
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
The Kobo font is nice. I've seen it in the store, Do anyone know what type of font it's using? The PRS-650 screen is great. I took my PRS-505 with me when I went to see it and it beat it hands down. For a touchscreen, I was happy that Sony finally got it right.
Why do they keep these thing such secrets??

This website says the Kobo app uses Georgia and Baskerville for the serif fonts. It doesn't mention the san-serif font names.

If it's the serif font you like, you try search on the names to see which is which.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronw View Post
I have just purchased the Sony PRS-650. I had previously used the Kobo.
First impression is that I do not like the screen. The text is nowhere near as crisp as the Kobo. I will start a book tonight and see how I feel after reading a full book. The Kobo also seems to look and feel more like a book. Considering I paid almost twice the price for the Sony I would have thought it would have surpassed the Kobo. How do others feel about the screen on PRS-650, though I suppose if you had always had the Sony you would not have anything to compare it with.
I think what the OP is talking about is the resolution of the individual words. Yes the pearl ink screen is lovely but the actual fonts look jagged.

It's like looking at a really smap jpeg image at at a blown up resolution.

I too have a bit of a issue with this, it is rather annoying when compared to a kindle or iPad.

But for me at least, the pros outweigh this con.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #29
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronw View Post
I have just purchased the Sony PRS-650. I had previously used the Kobo.
First impression is that I do not like the screen. The text is nowhere near as crisp as the Kobo. I will start a book tonight and see how I feel after reading a full book. The Kobo also seems to look and feel more like a book. Considering I paid almost twice the price for the Sony I would have thought it would have surpassed the Kobo. How do others feel about the screen on PRS-650, though I suppose if you had always had the Sony you would not have anything to compare it with.
I now have the PRs-350 and I have to agree that there is something strange about how the font displays - line spacing seems to be the main problem - the lines seems just a touch too tight for the size of the font. This seems to be a problem no matter what the book, so I don't think it is the ePub file.

That, and there is a really big gap between Small and Medium.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #30
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Nope, the 505, the 600 and the 650 are all just too different to be able to interchange cases. An act of malicious design or luck of the draw? You be the judge...
Perhaps the 650 could now fit into the 300's case, now that the 650 is smaller than the 600?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote