Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Indecisive

Before I bought a book reader, choosing my next book was a fairly straight forward thing.

I would have in my bag the book I was currently reading and as I was nearing the end, I would have the book I would next be reading. The next book was chosen at a whim one morning before work.

Now I carry with me hundreds of books at a time all on my Ebook Reader. This means that choosing the next book is always difficult. I just don't know what I want to read next. I'm not always in the mood for the books I want to read.

So, I have taken steps to reduce my indecision.

I have compiled a list of 20 books that I want to read for one reason or another (actually, it is a list of 19 books I want to read and a dud that I would prefer not to - this is to give me the chance to experience other books that normally I would avoid!)

This list only contains one book per author
There is the dud I would prefer not to read
When a book has been read, it is to be replaced by another (adhering to rule 1)

I then basically use a random number generator to pick the next book I am going to read. I am hoping that using this method will expose me to more books than I normally read - I have a habit of sticking to what I like and rarely experience much new.

So, here is my first list which will slowly evolve. I will probably only ever stick to 20 to choose from at a time, but I may replace some books for others depending on my mood (for example I have already read Pollen by Jeff Noon so would consider swapping that out for a different book if I wanted something added to the list).

Abarat - Clive Barker
Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay
Reflex - Steven Gould
Another Fine Myth - Robert Asprin (Current Choice)
The Gypsy Morph - Terry Brooks
The Bourne Identity - Robert Ludlum
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K Dick
Duma Key - Stephen King
Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs
The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Neuromance - William Gibson
Odd Hours - Dean Koontz
One for the Money - Janet Evanovich (I promised my wife I would try this)
Pollen - Jeff Noon
The Positronic Man - Isaac Asimov
Stark - Ben Elton
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson
Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
Twilight - Stephenie Meyer (The dud to try something different)
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

From the list, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K Dick" all the way, then... go to the next one you would like!

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
I'd recommend Lord of the Flies, Day of the Triffids, Jekyll and Hyde and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I don't know why but I hated sheep, and philip k dicks writing style

looks like a good list.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I certainly agree with you...decisions, decisions, decisions!
I currently have 198 books on my Sony 700. It's been so fun searching & downloading & converting. And it's hard to pick the next. I have 'collections' of authors, as well as single works from various authors. I've finished the 3 'Dexter' books (which I highly recommend) Now I've started on the Sue Grafton series. Evanovich is another favorite & I've acquired her collection as well. Duma Key was a typical King novel....I barely put it down til it was finished! I tend not to jump around...just get thoroughly saturated by a single author. But the random method might be fun for a change.
Penny
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Rather than 'Duma Key', I'd recommend 'The Stand' if you haven't read that one yet.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I'd go for Stark next
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
PennyPie
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

The Stand is probably one of my alltime favorites of King's. Re-Read it every few years.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #9
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

I've read 'The Stand' a few times. I'm not sure whether or not I ever read the 'extended' version, but I did buy it from Fictionwise a while ago in preparation.

I am currently really enjoying 'Another Fine Myth' - a book I have kept putting off for something more familiar

This random selection could really work out
Old 08-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs

'Cause you have so few female authors on the list...
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:09 AM   #11
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
'Cause you have so few female authors on the list...
It has never really occurred to me before how few female authors I actually have read before. Nothing sexist, just that my usual 'field' tends to be male.

I usually read Comedy, Horror or Fantasy which seem to be dominated by male writers...
Old 08-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
It has never really occurred to me before how few female authors I actually have read before. Nothing sexist, just that my usual 'field' tends to be male.

I usually read Comedy, Horror or Fantasy which seem to be dominated by male writers...
I tend to read more female authors than male, and I guess it's because they tend to more often have female protagonists, which I can probably more easily relate to than male. Nohting sexist in tha either. My guess is that it is not unusual.

Back to the topic; I recognise the problem. I try to keep a very short list of books (max 4) that I am currently reading, and I don't buy any new books until I will eventually start reading it.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
PennyPie

Quote:
I don't buy any new books until I will eventually start reading it
But with SO much 'free' material out there, and the fact that I just can't help downloading, the # of titles just keeps growing!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
But with SO much 'free' material out there, and the fact that I just can't help downloading, the # of titles just keeps growing!!!
Yeah, you're right about that. And of course one has to download free stuff when it's available, or else it might disappear!

I have a fodler on my computer for my current ebook library, and then I have a folder for all the ebooks I have, and I just sort of try to ignore it. It's not completely logical, but it means I can keep a realistic list of books I plan to read.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I feel your pain, I have 100+ unread books on my reader.....
How to decide? If I can't I start reading short stories and non-fiction. Anything I do not like after 100-500 pages (depending when I get fed up) is deleted.

But still, it is hard to decide when you have so many books with you. Also easy to give up on books.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote