Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What Novel Would you like to see win the Hugo Award For Best Novel?
Anathem - Neal Stephenson 11 34.38%
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman 5 15.63%
Little Brother - Cory Doctorow 10 31.25%
Satan's Children - Charles Stross 4 12.50%
Zoe's Tale - John Scalzi 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Your Poll vote for Hugo Award for Best Novel

The Hugo Awards for 2009 are coming up. The novels listed in the Poll are the actual titles that have been nominated.

This MobileRead poll ends in 10 days.

I thought it would be interesting to create a poll on which NOVEL you think might win or which one you think should win.

It's OK if you haven't read the novel. Hell, I haven't them all, but I have opinions. You have opinions, too, right? At least, that's what my Drill Sergeant once told me! He said, "[My last name], do you know opinions are like a**h****? Everyone has one!"] How does one answer a question like that? -- "Yes, Drill Sergeant!"

So, which novel should be the winner for the Hugo Award For Best Novel, 2009?

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those who may not know it, Little Brother by Cory Doctorow, is available here on MobileRead through the courtesy of the author. The novel was assembled, in its various formats, through Jon's [JSWolf's] efforts.

Thank you, both!

Don
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Anathem should definitely win, but I can understand if most vote for The Graveyard Book instead.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
BinaryTB
Connoisseur
BinaryTB is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
I haven't read any of them yet (few of them are in my to-read queue), but even though Gaiman is one of my fav writers, I think Doctorow's book should win... he's giving away the ebook for free. How cool is that?

As for Anathem:
http://www.xkcd.com/483/

Last edited by BinaryTB; 05-27-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added Anathem "review"
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
When the noms came out, I dropped everything and read all of the books, short stories, novellas, novellettes, and illustrated placemats that it included. This year's noms - who were written in about 2007 and published in 2008 - were a noticeably gloomy bunch of downers. All great, don't get me wrong, but the mood overall was generally down beaten.

I'm afraid the pool of nominees are reflective of the turmoil and uncertainty in the world in the last year or so. It will be interesting to sample next year's noms to try to pick up the 2008-09 vibe.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Loved the The Graveyard Book, haven't read any of the others. Option 2 for me.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've read all of these except Saturn's Children, and my vote goes to Little Brother. It's not perfect (parts of it were steeped in minutiae), but overall it was very good.

IMO Zoe's Tale sucked. I don't even understand why it was nominated. It was a poor excuse of a novel written to tie up the loose ends that should have been explained in The Lost Colony. Instead, Scalzi decided to go all deus ex machina and then crank out another book to provide an explanation. And what's worse, it was a book with a teenager who has a witty retort for every single comment ever uttered. Meh. (That said, I loved the other books in the Old Man's War series!)

Last edited by queentess; 05-28-2009 at 07:23 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryTB View Post
As for Anathem:
http://www.xkcd.com/483/
Must've missed out on Finnegans Wake.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The title of Stross' book is Saturn's Children.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The title of Stross' book is Saturn's Children.

Thank you for that correction! I must have had an SNL moment..."could it be....Satan?!"

We moderators are unable to change information in a poll, at least as far as I can tell. Let me see what I can do, however, to try to eventually get that changed.

My mistake is rather embarrassing and in no way should reflect upon the distinguished honor of having Stross's fine book nominated for the Hugo Award. The title of his book is Saturn's Children.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-28-2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: grammar correction! -- Arf! Arf! and stepped on Meow!!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Yay.

Last edited by zerospinboson; 05-29-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: it had to be done
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm going to hold out on voting until I've read The Graveyard Book. I read Anathem and Little Brother, and although I thought they were alright I didn't think either one of them rose to the level of a Hugo Award winner (just my opinion).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
IMO Zoe's Tale sucked. I don't even understand why it was nominated. It was a poor excuse of a novel written to tie up the loose ends that should have been explained in The Lost Colony. Instead, Scalzi decided to go all deus ex machina and then crank out another book to provide an explanation. And what's worse, it was a book with a teenager who has a witty retort for every single comment ever uttered. Meh. (That said, I loved the other books in the Old Man's War series!)
I loved zoes tale, I like teen girls in scifi, and zoes tale explained alot, and it also tied up the huge plot about the (Obo? damn cant remember the name) of course we knew the ending, but I still liked it.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
must of had?
Fixed!!

Don
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
I'm half-way through "Graveyard Book" having read all of the others. I think it's a pretty good crop this year and the novellas are even better. I'll have to do a lot of head scratching before I cast my vote.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote