Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
ayram88
ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo touch
I bricked my kobo while updating

Hello everybody!

After updating my kobo Touch to version 2.3.1, which I found more bugged than 2.1.5,
I decided to install thelatest version, 2.3.2, found on this forum.

After installing the display blocked on the 'Restarting' screen, and there it remains.

I tried pressing the reset button, pressing the on/off button, connecting it via USB, but NOTHING seems to work.

Is there anything I can do, or should I just return it to the shop?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I would recommend a factory reset. Turn off the touch first. Hold down the home button and then turn it back on while still holding down the home button. This should trigger a factory reset.
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Did you put the correct version of the firmware on (Touch version on your Touch rather than the Glo version)? If you tried the wrong one you Kobo is likely toast. If not, then the factory reset as suggested above is your best bet.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
ayram88
ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.

I just can't turn it off, it is blocked on the "restarting" screen and it just doesn't work, and yes, I have downloaded the Touch version of the firmware. I tried to reset it by pushing the Home and On/off button together, but now I have no hopes.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayram88 View Post
I just can't turn it off, it is blocked on the "restarting" screen and it just doesn't work, and yes, I have downloaded the Touch version of the firmware. I tried to reset it by pushing the Home and On/off button together, but now I have no hopes.
When you were turning it off did you hold the power button for 10-15 seconds? The screen may not change, but it will power it off -- just flipping it won't necessarily put it into an off state. Then try the hold button and turn on to factory reset. The other thing is to plug it in and make sure you don't have a dead battery.
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
ayram88

I can't believe... this mess because of an update!
I held the power button to the right for about 20 seconds but nothing happened.
Still that screen.
I don't think the battery's dead, before updating it was at 51% of charge.
but when I connect it to my computer it doesn't recognaize the reader, nor it charges.

I think I have to go to the shop, fortunately I bought it one month ago and my warranty is valid...

thank you all for helping me
Old 12-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Hello everybody!

After updating my kobo Touch to version 2.3.1, which I found more bugged than 2.1.5,
I decided to install thelatest version, 2.3.2, found on this forum.

After installing the display blocked on the 'Restarting' screen, and there it remains.

I tried pressing the reset button, pressing the on/off button, connecting it via USB, but NOTHING seems to work.

Is there anything I can do, or should I just return it to the shop?

2.3.2 is an update only available in japan. from what i understand, people not in japan shouldn't be using the update that wasn't targeted for their kobo. i know little about these things, but i've read enough on these forums to realise you can't just manually update when you don't know a hell of a lot about kobo's update process.

if the store gives you a replacement, i *highly* recommend never trying that again.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
ayram88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
2.3.2 is an update only available in japan. from what i understand, people not in japan shouldn't be using the update that wasn't targeted for their kobo. i know little about these things, but i've read enough on these forums to realise you can't just manually update when you don't know a hell of a lot about kobo's update process.

if the store gives you a replacement, i *highly* recommend never trying that again.
I read somewhere else that peaple tried to update heir kobo glo with the 2.2.* japanese update, so I thought I could have done it, too.

Surely I will never do something like that. I'm too desperate to think I'm ever going through this again
Old 12-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Still that screen.
but when I connect it to my computer it doesn't recognaize the reader, nor it charges.

I think I have to go to the shop, fortunately I bought it one month ago and my warranty is valid...

thank you all for helping me
It may have been an update but it was not meant for your device or it would have been made available by Kobo. I hope you can get an exchange but I'd refrain from mentioning the cause of this mess was sideloading an update widely released by Kobo. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Since nobody else has mentioned it... did you try the pin reset? Find the small hole in the back of the Kobo, insert pin to press button it should reset for you. A simple search on how to do a reset would have at least told you that much.

It should also be noted the Kobo DOES NOT RECOMMEND sideloading the firmware. This is what happens when people don't read. Of course this type of thing is probably why Kobo will never have an open beta setup. Too many fools who don't know what they are doing and then crying foul.

Oh that note you CAN get back to 2.1.5 by sideloading the APPROPRIATE firmware for YOUR Kobo. You WILL NOT be able to sync your Kobo with the desktop app afterword however as it will try to update your Kobo again. There is a thread here somewhere (I can't find it at the moment) where you can edit a file, change it's version and the Kobo won't try to update it's firmware.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
ayram88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Since nobody else has mentioned it... did you try the pin reset? Find the small hole in the back of the Kobo, insert pin to press button it should reset for you. A simple search on how to do a reset would have at least told you that much.

It should also be noted the Kobo DOES NOT RECOMMEND sideloading the firmware. This is what happens when people don't read. Of course this type of thing is probably why Kobo will never have an open beta setup. Too many fools who don't know what they are doing and then crying foul.

Oh that note you CAN get back to 2.1.5 by sideloading the APPROPRIATE firmware for YOUR Kobo. You WILL NOT be able to sync your Kobo with the desktop app afterword however as it will try to update your Kobo again. There is a thread here somewhere (I can't find it at the moment) where you can edit a file, change it's version and the Kobo won't try to update it's firmware.

Hi, I'm not that stupid, I tried to reset it in every possible way.
I sideloaded the firmware because I haven't read anywhere of people having this kind of troubles, everybody seemed to have it working.

I can't get back to 2.1.5 because when I connect my Touch to the computer, it doesn't "read" it, as if I didn't put anything in the usb slot.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
@ ayram88

Try to relax!

Danger was trying to help you. Nobody thinks you're stupid ... but you installed the wrong firrware so ...

I had a similar problem with my KT (from a Kobo update: see my posts): there is no miracle solution. I suggest you to be patient, even wait that the battery is fully discharged.

Playing with all functions reset you know your KT will perhaps restart.

Otherwise, you'll have to get another.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
?..or should I just return it to the shop?
This doesn't seem dishonest to you? You broke it, why should the store or Kobo have to pay for it?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Still that screen.
If you hold the power button down for 20 seconds and nothing happens, that is what is expected. This is forcing the power off and the device will respond by turning off, but because of the state it is in, it can't change the screen.

Once you have done this, you can do a factory reset. The simplest way is to hold the home button down, slide the power button over and release it. And the release the home button when the lights start flashing. If they don't, after 30 seconds, try it again.

If the above doesn't work, you can try the home+pinhole reset. Again, make sure the device is off. Then hold the home button down and push something in the pinhole at the back until you feel it click. Wait for the lights to flash and then release the home button.

If the above doesn't work, connect the device to power and leave it for a few hours. The power might have run out since you were last able to check the charge level. e-ink screens use no power to keep an image on the screen. They can only be changed by the system running. If the power ran out in the state you describe, there is no way for it to update the screen to tell you. Also, don't worry about the fact the PC doesn't recognise it, just let it charge. And if you get impatient and try it after ten minutes, accept that it didn't work and plug it in and wait (and yes, that is what I would do).
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Of course this type of thing is probably why Kobo will never have an open beta setup. Too many fools who don't know what they are doing and then crying foul.
This is what happens when you don't have an open beta.

If Kobo had an open beta, or let you specify that you wanted the latest firmware, the automatic processes would deal with the installation of the firmware, rather than having people sideload firmware.

There should be nothing in the 'japan' releases that harms any device, worldwide. Hopefully Kobo has learned the lesson from the Australian Touches and is handling the regionalisation of the devices outside of the devices. After all, Kobo should know from the serial number where the device was distributed to.

And, why should the Japanese devices get the latest bug fix release, but not the rest of the world?
Closed Thread