Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #1531
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahChimes View Post
I've had LOTS of hardware issues, weird crashes, etc...
Maybe she got it from a third party, who covered a PW1's hardware in a PW2 case, so they could get more money.
Everything's possible, but I wonder why on earth one would have to do so. To do so he/she would have to have a spare intact PW2 case which I don't know where he would have got, or a (working or not) PW2 which he should have broken open alongside with a PW1 just to made the switch, only to squeeze how much? 20 bucks more out of it?
Additionally, remaining with a PW2 kindle in the case of a PW1.
Additionally, selling it to unexperienced person who probably doesn't even know the difference.
This makes no sense to me, it doesn't look he would have get an advantage worth the trouble.
Plus, I've seen a picture of the two cases, I don't see that much of a difference honestly, how can you say it's a PW2 case?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #1532
HannahChimes
HannahChimes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Everything's possible, but I wonder why on earth one would have to do so. To do so he/she would have to have a spare intact PW2 case which I don't know where he would have got, or a (working or not) PW2 which he should have broken open alongside with a PW1 just to made the switch, only to squeeze how much? 20 bucks more out of it?
Additionally, remaining with a PW2 kindle in the case of a PW1.
Additionally, selling it to unexperienced person who probably doesn't even know the difference.
This makes no sense to me, it doesn't look he would have get an advantage worth the trouble.
Plus, I've seen a picture of the two cases, I don't see that much of a difference honestly, how can you say it's a PW2 case?

Mine has the amazon logo.
HannahChimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #1533
HannahChimes

Good news though, I finally got it working again, (after reinstalling 3 times)...
Old 03-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #1534
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahChimes View Post
Well it is...
- - - -
Sorry, not possible.
The packages are model-locked and the locking is cryptographically protected.

Go to settings, look up the device's serial number, compare the first four characters with the name's in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

That is the model of hardware inside the case, no possible chance that it is any different.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #1535
HannahChimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Sorry, not possible.
The packages are model-locked and the locking is cryptographically protected.

Go to settings, look up the device's serial number, compare the first four characters with the name's in this table:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

That is the model of hardware inside the case, no possible chance that it is any different.
Okay, I get it.
I looked up the exact measurements of everything:
I have a PW1 (WiFi Model), the only thing wrong with it is that someone replaced the back panel, and now it has the Amazon logo rather than the Kindle logo.

Not sure why they did, maybe it was broken, maybe to make it seem newer, I don't know.
Advert
Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #1536
samhfoley
Enthusiast
samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.samhfoley is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle voyage and paperwhite 2
I have the following Kindle
B017, 9017 Kindle PaperWhite 2 (2013) WiFi (4GB) PW2, PW2IL So far, spotted in Europe, USA & Canada [Support added in KindleTool 1.6.3]

I was jailbroken and had the screensaver hack enabled and Cover mode was working. Then somehow my Kindle upgraded to 5.6.1.0.6 and the cover mode no longer works.

I can still open Kindle launcher and some tweaks such as battery percentage still work fine. I would like to have cover mode again if possible. Any way to get it to work? Thanks in advance
Sam
samhfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #1537
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Reinstall the screensavers hack. Use MobileRead Package Installer (KUAL extension), since the latest firmware is incompatible with the old update.bin-deposit-in-root-of-userstore approach.

After ANY firmware update, all hacks distributed as update.bin files must be reinstalled. This will generally not be necessary for KUAL and KUAL extensions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #1538
koudou
koudou began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
I tried hard to install the screen savers hack,, but I still have default screen. I do not understand what is wrong ...

Hardware : Kindle Paperwhite 2 WiFi 4GB Europe
platform : wario
board : pinot rev.34
Software : Kindle 5.6.2.1 (2634390002)
Available space : 2958Mb

KUAL installed and runs : I have helper with Install MR package

Screensavers S 0.21.N @ r11168 on 2014-Nov-26 @ 00:00

============================
I have the screensavers folder in linkss

I've put 6 files with lowercase names, .png, 758 pixels wide, 1024 pixels height

When I restart the device with KUAL/Screen savers/Restart framework now/
The device restart, and the hack changes the files names to
bg_ss00.png
bg_ss01.png
bg_ss06.png
bg_ss07.png
bg_ss08.png
bg_ss11.png

But I still have default screen when I switch off ...

What am I doing wrong ?
Any clue ?

Michel
koudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #1539
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by koudou View Post
I do not understand what is wrong ...

[...]

Screensavers S 0.21.N @ r11168 on 2014-Nov-26 @ 00:00
Probably that. It's old, try with the latest snapshots.

Although be aware that, AFAIK, no-one ever tried this on 5.6.2.x, so, who knows.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #1540
koudou

OK. Thanks for suggestion NiLuJe

I have reinstalled everything except Jail Break (still there and working).

With 5.6.2.1 I still have a stange behavior :

-> From a fresh restart, when I try to open KUAL, I have an error and I'm back on book list.
Then, if I restart once more KUAL, it works.

-> Battery status is not active. I have to choose to tweak it, and then it works. If I restart, it is back to non working.

-> Screen saver hack is not working at all. When I start, I have the message of the hack sorting (I do not remember exactly the message). And I have the menu. If I switch off, the same page stays but withouit back light, and when I switch back on,the framework restart.
Everything else seems to work, but to avoid this relaunch, I have to disable ScreenSavers hack (current version is S 0.23 r12019 on 2015-Jun-06, really te most recent one ...)

I stay for the moment with the hack disabled, and I hope that something would be discovered with 5.6.2

Last edited by koudou; 06-11-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #1541
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KUAL can take a little while to load after a reboot (which clears the cache) -- and if you try to start it too soon it crashes. Installing the gawk extension helps a little. Either way don't worry about it.

It is expected that the battery status hack will need to be reactivated. It injects itself into the current running framework. You could however start it automatically by adding an upstart job.

NiLuJe will have to answer you about what might be wrong with the screensavers.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:24 AM   #1542
koudou

@eschwartz

I reinstalled python.
In fact, when I put several packages in MR, it gives on the bottom screen message only the name of the first package and never give the names of other packages. It looks like there are installed either (as there is nothing left in MR folder), etc ...

But security, I reinstalled python, and still same behavior.

As you suggested, I waited 5 minutes after restart (in fact 15 mn). But still the error the first time I launch KUAL. Then, the second time, it's ok.

==============
It is a never ending search to get things working while new versions of system appears. Amazon is not fair with customers : there are helpful things for clients they do not develop (time, money ?), like customisation of screensavers, battery status, ...
The reaction of Amazon is to try to forbid these tiny things by investing ressources to not allow these modifications. They should better put these ressources to integrate the modifications to their system.

Because if I had the screensaver, battery status and some little adjustments by Amazon, I never Jailbreaked my kindle, and just used the options of the basic software.

I bought a kindle at full price to Amazon. And I just need some normal functions they did not put in it. And I do not understand why Amazon, not only do not give it to me, but more, is trying to forbid other to give it to me.

Michel
Old 06-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #1543
digital_carver
digital_carver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
python space requirement

Hi, could you add a line in the main post about the python script requiring at least 150 MB free space in userspace? After mysterious "package script failed (1)" errors from MRInstaller and "Hu oh... Got return code 1 . . . " messages in mrinstaller.log, I trawled through these forums and was in the middle of composing a long error report when I noticed the install.sh and the 150 MB requirement in it. Noticing I had only 140 MB or so, I tried freeing up some more and voila, installed flawlessly.

Given the puny 2GB of PW, it's easy to fill it up leaving too little space; so, just a mention of this in the original post would help people check for this as a possible source of error.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mrinstaller.log.txt (4.9 KB, 159 views)
digital_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #1544
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by koudou View Post
- - - -
I bought a kindle at full price to Amazon.

... I just need some normal functions they did not put in it.

... I do not understand why Amazon, not only do not give it to me, but more, is trying to forbid other to give it to me.

Michel
It seems, even to myself, that more than 7,000 of my 7,500 posts have been on this subject, but ...

Here I go again (people who have been members for more than a few days can just hit "page next" at this point).

----

{rant}

Well put.

In the USA, an unsettled legal question, the answer to which will have very far reaching consequences if the courts ever answer it.

Q:
Does the person who **purchases** a device, physically implemented by electronic hardware that is controlled by embedded firmware, own the **behavior** of the device?
(**purchases** is marked because the question is mostly answered for those who lease, rent, borrow or steal.)

I and others on this forum believe that device owner also gains ownership of the behavior in the purchase transaction;
Amazon clearly believes that they continue to own the behavior.

NOTE: Owning the **behavior** is separate and very different than owning the **firmware** that creates/controls the behavior - that is another (can of worms) question.

Reading through this forum you will find the above difference of opinion summarized by the phrase: "the war with Amazon".

{/rant}

My introduction above to this post is not an apology - I intend to remain the "squeaky wheel" on this topic.
and then, someday, maybe ...

Last edited by knc1; 06-12-2015 at 08:36 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #1545
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

knc1 --

koudou -- all I know is that KUAL usually works, and when it does crash it is the fault of the kindlet firmware, not a KUAL issue per se.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch