Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you change or sell your current iPad to get the iPad3?
Yes 52 37.68%
No 60 43.48%
Maybe, need to see it in action. 26 18.84%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #76
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
The iPod Touches ("3rd gen" 8g so they are actually 2nd gen but sold as 3rd) I bought just a little over 2 years ago won't/can't upgrade to IOS 5 and, therefore, many apps either won't install at all or won't update. It's becoming more and more of an issue with time. These are only 2 years old, bought new from Amazon. So yeah, they do that.

If someone is perfectly happy with their iPad 1, awesome But if the difference is as clear as from iPod Touch 3 to 4, I can bet that if someone played with an iPad 3 for a while and compared side by side, they would discover they really wish they could upgrade. I can't wait to see the screen! I hope I'm not disappointed.

Now, what to do with my Kindle fire ... I wish Amazon would release an app to play their video library through ....
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #77
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Why should it not?

For a customer-driven company like Apple alienating existing users is most likely more a problem than having to force some iPad-1-users to upgrade. (especially as this would not work. Those who don't want to upgrade would simply not upgrade to the new operating system and complain about being excluded)
I've used Apple products for over 20 years. Basically what happens is that every several years, the Apple OS is upgraded to a point where it will not work on machines that are 4 or 5 years old. For example, I have one of the early Intel iMacs, and it is not going to be able to run the Lion version of iOS.

Now, the iPads are early in the cycle, so ordinarily I would not expect much of a change in the OS for a couple more years. But Apple has a history of introducing products which seem, at least to me, to not be quite complete. The first iteration of a device seems to be left behind sooner than later iterations.

So my hunch is that the next version of the iPad will be sufficiently different from the iPad 1 that we are going to find that the next version of iOS is optimized for that device, leaving the iPad 1 to shift for itself. This is about the time when we might also find the iPad 1 batteries running out.

In short, Apple's version of planned obsolence has to do with the OS, since the devices just work forever. Heck, I still have an operating ColorClassic II that I boot up once a year just to see if it's still working. It's been 15 years...

Last edited by Harmon; 03-12-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #78
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
In short, Apple's version of planned obsolence has to do with the OS, since the devices just work forever. Heck, I still have an operating ColorClassic II that I boot up once a year just to see if it's still working. It's been 15 years...
They sure do last! My desktop iMac is fairly recent with a 3.33 GHz processor and 8 GB RAM. But my laptop is a G4 Powerbook {78 Months old--but it can't match your amazing 15 year old machine!} and it still runs perfectly {on Tiger}. I still use it regularly for DVD playing, word processing, internet browsing, and the odd game or OS9 program that won't play on my Intel Mac.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #79
SylviaMorice
SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.SylviaMorice is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iPad2
I am really happy with my iPad2...don't see any need to change right now...as long as things continue to work. But once it quits, for sure I'll buy another one (probably the 3).
SylviaMorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #80
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaMorice View Post
I am really happy with my iPad2...don't see any need to change right now...as long as things continue to work. But once it quits, for sure I'll buy another one (probably the 3).
By the time it quits, we'll probably be at 6th gen (or higher) already. My brother still has his 5th gen iPod Video and my original iPhone still works and appears to hold its charge pretty well. Granted I only use that iPhone as alarm clock nowadays.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #81
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviaMorice View Post
Mine too. But I said I would buy the next one if they had a retina display. & here we are. I most likely would not have bought it otherwise. Unlike what most apple haters think, we don't flock to buy every iteration just because. I have seen many people also state they are sticking with the iPad 2. & there is noting wrong with that. It's still a very capable machine.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Mine too. But I said I would buy the next one if they had a retina display. & here we are. I most likely would not have bought it otherwise. Unlike what most apple haters think, we don't flock to buy every iteration just because. I have seen many people also state they are sticking with the iPad 2. & there is noting wrong with that. It's still a very capable machine.
Absolutely. Just as I'm very happy with my iPhone 4. I've not bought the iPhone 4S, and I almost certainly shan't buy the iPhone 5. If a device does the job you bought it for (and the iPhone 4 has exceeded my wildest expectations as far as usefulness goes) there's really no reason to upgrade.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #83
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Mine too. But I said I would buy the next one if they had a retina display. & here we are. I most likely would not have bought it otherwise.
Same here. If the new iPad didn't have retina display, I wouldn't have bought one (or two).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely. Just as I'm very happy with my iPhone 4. I've not bought the iPhone 4S, and I almost certainly shan't buy the iPhone 5. If a device does the job you bought it for (and the iPhone 4 has exceeded my wildest expectations as far as usefulness goes) there's really no reason to upgrade.
Lol, I also have an iPhone 4 that I'm quite happy with and do foresee myself eschewing newer iPhones. I still bought an iPhone 4S, though. I was already due for an upgrade so I used my upgrade then I sold the 4S. Still using my old iPhone 4 and I used the proceeds from the sale of the brand new 4S to fund a couple of Android phone purchases.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #84
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's where I waited too. I had the iPhone 3GS & was holding out for an iPhone 5, which in my opinion is the iPhone 4s, the innards are greatly upgraded. But that's besides the point. Oh, Friday can't come soon enough.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #85
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Nope. The new screen is nice, but frankly there isn't anything that it offers that my ipad 2 can't do now and likely most apps/games are going to work on both the ipad2 and ipad3...so no compelling reason there to upgrade. I'll wait for the iPad4 which will hopefully have a faster CPU, smaller process size CPU and hopefully smaller process size Wifi stack as well. Maybe also improved screen power use (IE more efficient LED backlighting).

Hopefully either longer battery life, or reduce the battery size some and keep current battery life.

For me an upgrade every year does not make economical sense. Every 2 years, I can maybe swing.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #86
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

I'm vacillating between the Wi-Fi and 4G models right now. The 4G is month-to-month anyway so the only extra cost is $130 upfront (+taxes). Data plan, I'd only have to pay for the months that I would use it. Just bought a 4G iPad from Verizon. If I decide to keep it, I can always return the Wi-Fi model or ebay it.

The confirmation email was a bit shocking, though.

I know California has increased their sales taxes but I wasn't aware it went up that high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad tax o_O.png
Views:	433
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	84010  
Old 03-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #87
monkeyluis
Banned

You're just giving the apple haters more ammo to say that the iPad is just an over priced paperweight. Lol. That's crazy. Is California that much in the hole? Haha.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #88
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I decided to sell my iPad 1 (32 wifi) to my brother, & go buy an iPad 2 (16 wifi). But when I got in the store, I made the mistake of looking at the iPad 3. <ka-ching!> The retina display is worth the extra hundred bucks. Now I own a New iPad (16 wifi). Secondary gain includes less weight, particularly taking the cover into account, faster loading, maybe a little better visibility in sunlight due to the increased resolution & perhaps dictation for emails and postings like this one - we'll see.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #89
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I'm vacillating between the Wi-Fi and 4G models right now. The 4G is month-to-month anyway so the only extra cost is $130 upfront (+taxes). Data plan, I'd only have to pay for the months that I would use it. Just bought a 4G iPad from Verizon. If I decide to keep it, I can always return the Wi-Fi model or ebay it.

The confirmation email was a bit shocking, though.

I know California has increased their sales taxes but I wasn't aware it went up that high.
See, you should have paid more attention in the 4th grade when they were discussing decimals....
Old 03-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #90
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
See, you should have paid more attention in the 4th grade when they were discussing decimals....
Hey, I paid attention (and I believe we had decimals in 2nd grade, not 4th). It seems Verizon didn't.

By the way, the sales tax rate in Los Angeles is 8.75% so the tax is actually $72.62 + $6 CA recycling fee.

Tags
ipad3