Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Thanks @all!!!

EDIT:

What remains unclear for me is how to extract/alter uimg files. This don't work:
http://omappedia.org/wiki/Android_Ge..._for_debugging

Also, maybe usefull for you: here's a nice guide on how to run recovery image, etc. in QEMU:

https://balau82.wordpress.com/2010/0...t-on-qemu-arm/

Last edited by uboot; 01-28-2012 at 04:58 AM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
S3raph
S3raph began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
Thanks @all!!!

EDIT:

What remains unclear for me is how to extract/alter uimg files. This don't work:
http://omappedia.org/wiki/Android_Ge..._for_debugging
this script works fine, http://ftp.maddes.net/u-boot/extract_uImage.sh

Last edited by S3raph; 01-28-2012 at 09:03 AM.
S3raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #18
j0534ng31
Connoisseur
j0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheesej0534ng31 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1 black
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3raph View Post
j0534ng31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3raph View Post
great idea j0534ng31 I didn't thought about that, however the probably greatest advantage of the ramdisk solution is its simplicity.

I attached my modified ramdisk, its the "normal" ramdisk with a modified init.rc and includes the e2fsck binary.

Code:
# check filesystem
    exec /sbin/e2fsck -py /dev/block/mmcblk2p1
    exec /sbin/e2fsck -py /dev/block/mmcblk2p9
    exec /sbin/e2fsck -py /dev/block/mmcblk2p10
credits go to porkupan for the flash script/tools and all his great work.

[EDIT]
This was the "normal" ramdisk without adb enabled, sry for the mistake. Ive added a second archive which enables e2fsck and adb support, please redownload the archive enable-fsck-adb_v2.zip the old one missed the adbd binary, thanks for the hint to j0534ng31.
[/EDIT]

I DONT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY BRICKS

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

YOUR DEVICE SURELY WILL BE BRICKED IF YOU FLASH THAT

In do_update.sh it says:
Code:
dd if=${UPDATE_MP}/tmp/ramdisk-adb-fsck.uimg of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=10240 count=600 bs=512
That means that 600x512=307200 bytes will be copied from ramdisk-adb-fsck.uimg to the internal flash.

Porkupan's ramdisk-adb.uimg is only 290202 bytes, no problem there, but ramdisk-adb-fsck.uimg has 555204 bytes.

That means, the initrd will be incompletely written and guess what happens.... when you try to boot that....
Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
S3raph

Your right sick, I removed the files, thanks for the warning. I always flash the ramdisk directly without the ebook_msc/do_update.sh stuff, my fault. However I tried the script once with my ramdisk and it didnt brick the reader, I guess I was just lucky.

Anyway everybody who "bricked" his device should be able to recover it easily with the "sd-rescue" package https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=20. Because only the ramdisk is corrupted the diag/recovery partition is still fine.

[EDIT]
Damn I guess i hard bricked my device, I made a copy paste error and flashed the ramdisk over the device without any seek, count parameters, so I overwrite the normal boot environment and the diag partition, f**** anybody any ideas?

I guess only a JTAG/serial connector can recover it.

Last edited by S3raph; 01-29-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
m3l7d0wN
Zealot
m3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisem3l7d0wN juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony PRS-T1
yeah, if you write to the device (mmcblk2p) I suppose you have to open your T1 and connect to the sd :|
m3l7d0wN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
S3raph

Unfortunately there a no JTAG/serial pinouts available and I'm a newbie in electrical engineering. Not sure if sony is going to repair it, shouldn't be too hard as all the hardware is still intact, but of course my warranty is void :/.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
uboot
Evangelist

I'm so sorry to hear (read) that

My hope at this point is that you can somehow make the T1 boot from external sd card....

Freescale provides a bunch of tools on their website, you just have to register for free: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...sign_Tools_Tab
Old 01-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
S3raph

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
I'm so sorry to hear (read) that

My hope at this point is that you can somehow make the T1 boot from external sd card....

Freescale provides a bunch of tools on their website, you just have to register for free: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...sign_Tools_Tab
I cant even power on the reader because uboot,mbr,diag,recovery everything is corrupted, no power light. For the PRS-500 there are UART pinouts, maybe someday "we" will find that for the PRS-T1 too :/. Not sure whats my best line, send it to sony or buy a second one and wait for the day I'm able to revive it.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #25
uboot
Evangelist

Just a note back to topic: until now, I found no way to run e2fsck on sys or data partition on the device.

In recovery console, none of the e2fsck binaries work. There seem to be missing dynamic lib dependencies (libc, don't know) when /system is not mounted.

So, what I'd like to have is a statically linked e2fsck or better: a statically linked busybox with e2fsck included.

Anyone?

EDIT: Just got it from here: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/a...tatic/download

Copied to /ebook/preload partition -> runs fine from recovery console! -> Should also run fine from init.rc

A fix of my sys partition freed 2.4MB of lost disk space....

Last edited by uboot; 02-14-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #26
Thor
Thor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks for the infos!
I have to delete the images on the preload partition to get enough free space for the e2fsck but afterwards everythings runs smooth.
...and e2fsck tells that the system partition are unmount unclean and repaired it.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote