Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Guide to borrowing books from Toronto Publiuc Library

This is probably applicable to other OverDrive based libraries as well:

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/c...Voxhandout.pdf
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
seems to be the same

and hopefully I'll be getting a Toronto Library Card soon. My company wrote me a letter, as long as you live, work, own property in Toronto you can get a card.
My office is in Toronto, so hopefully I can get one!!!! (I don't go to the office much though so we'll see)
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Alans
Connoisseur
Alans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
The tPL holdings are exceptional and i've never had to wait long on the waiting list. My wish list is pages long. If I read only the ebooks available from TPL I would be satisfied for two years and they add many new books every week.
Alans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
seems to be the same

and hopefully I'll be getting a Toronto Library Card soon. My company wrote me a letter, as long as you live, work, own property in Toronto you can get a card.
My office is in Toronto, so hopefully I can get one!!!! (I don't go to the office much though so we'll see)
Toronto Library allows non-residents to pay quarterly for access ($30), as well, most of the public libraries such as Whitby, Ajax, in Durham region (just to the east of Toronto) allow non-residents access for $25-30 a year.

Info about Toronto library non-residents access here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=13
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
peterhondak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Toronto Library allows non-residents to pay quarterly for access ($30), as well, most of the public libraries such as Whitby, Ajax, in Durham region (just to the east of Toronto) allow non-residents access for $25-30 a year.

Info about Toronto library non-residents access here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=13

I live in Oshawa, so I have their card, and whitby allows (for free) any Durham Region resident (with proof) a card as well.
I am just hoping to be able to increase # of books by adding TO (for free) to my list. I'm just usually in a hurry when I'm at the office in Toronto. And then there was the strike, LOL. I might try to talk one of my many relatives in TO to let me use their # as long as I promise one/two books at a time only.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Alans
Connoisseur

Peter, if you're using someone else's number for overdrive you don't have to worry about
fines..Oh I understand now..you don't want to use too many books in case they want to
use it themselves. Well the selection is exceptional. They add new titles about two times
a week, maybe sometimes three..and a lot of the really popular titles are listed there.
Plus it's such a huge variety from fiction to nonfiction to travel guides to cookbooks.
They've even started to add books in foreign languages.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
I live in Oshawa, so I have their card, and whitby allows (for free) any Durham Region resident (with proof) a card as well.
I am just hoping to be able to increase # of books by adding TO (for free) to my list. I'm just usually in a hurry when I'm at the office in Toronto. And then there was the strike, LOL. I might try to talk one of my many relatives in TO to let me use their # as long as I promise one/two books at a time only.
I'm in Whitby, lol (but work in TO) so I knew that. The TO library allows 10 ebooks out at a time and another 10 on hold. Pretty sure you could check out 2-3 without impacting your relative's reading...
I've used my sister-in-law's card in BC for more variety. They have a much lower limit of 5.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
peterhondak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I'm in Whitby, lol (but work in TO) so I knew that. The TO library allows 10 ebooks out at a time and another 10 on hold. Pretty sure you could check out 2-3 without impacting your relative's reading...
I've used my sister-in-law's card in BC for more variety. They have a much lower limit of 5.

that's awesome info. I just posted a request on my facebook. If no one answers I'll start asking next family event. If the total was 5 its harder to give up one, but borrowing 2 out of 10 doesn't seem like an issue.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard

You can also select different lending periods, 7, 14, or 21 days. If you read fairly fast you don't have to choose 21...
You may find someone who doesn't use their card for ebooks, only uses it for paper books. Those wouldn't enter into the totals checked out. My sister-in-law didn't have an ereader so I got to check out whatever I wanted (up to 5 of course).
Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And remember you can return material early (at least through the Desktop ADE).
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
peterhondak
Zealot

my cousin gave me her card number!!!!! YEAH!!!. She doesn't have an ereader, but even if she did, 10 books is alot, plus her hubby would also have a card.
I borrowed 2 books. The selection is HUGH!!!!
one question, I didn't want to test this out, if you put a book on hold, do you get to choose an email address, or does it go to the card holder,
and if I inputted my email address, would it screw her up. She goes on the website for book renewals etc.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

You do get to select an eMail address when you place a book on hold. I don't think it would mess her up at all.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard

You enter the email address just before hitting the "place a hold" button which doesn't affect anything about the account itself and your cousin's account email. You could potentially give a different email on each book you place a hold on... (although normally you wouldn't, of course.)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
Alans
Connoisseur

I'm always returning my overdrive books early. Plus I have found if I put something on hold the wait is never very long. The only problem is that inevitably a new title comes on when I am in the middle of something.
As I wrote earlier TPL updates the catalogue at least twice a week,maybe more.sometimes I have too many items on hold because there is the limit of ten and I also use the audiobook selection.my wish list for all overdrive items is close to 200 items now. It is so long that it takes forever to upload the list.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Alans
Connoisseur

The big publishers don't want to release their books to overdrive because they say that would cut into sales. But libraries have been buying popular books for a century now and people still buy books.