Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #61
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Also with Word/RTF files the author's name is picked up from the properties box too.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the prior posting first time through.

Last edited by RWood; 11-20-2006 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Bad eyesight
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #62
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
If you're using the Connect Software, you can create collections within it, and move the whole collection onto the Reader as a unit. Then you'll find your titles under "Collections" on the Reader instead of under "Books" --
Is there any way to make collections of the books on the Memroy Card?
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2006, 10:27 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One tip for anyone in Europe thinking of buying a Reader from the US:

On their web site, Sony say that the charger for the Reader is 120v only. This is incorrect - it's a "universal" 100v-240v charger which happily works in both North America and Europe. Moreover, since the power cable plugs into the charger with a standard "figure 8" connector, it's very easy to replace the supplied US power cable with one with a standard European or UK plug.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #64
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman
Is there any way to make collections of the books on the Memroy Card?
Not yet, buts its on the "wish" list.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 PM   #65
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another Europe tip: The Reader also charges through the USB port. About 4 hours to full charge on the mains power and about 6 hours through the USB.
Advert
Old 11-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #66
vvaann
Enthusiast
vvaann began at the beginning.

Does someone know how to change picture for audio file? If you take a look on original tracks (were in reader from the beginning) you can see that all of them have individual picture area. I tried to add cover to an audio file in jpg format but it didn't work (standard picture area).

The second question is. I have tried to put footnotes and hyperlinks in RTF. Could not find how or if reader support it at all. Do you have any suggestion about it?
vvaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #67
RWood
Technogeezer

In the tag section of an mp3 file there is an area for a picture (most often the cover of the album that the song is from.) This shows up when the song is selected. It is the same picture that can be added to the song in such products as MusicMatch Jukebox.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvaann
The second question is. I have tried to put footnotes and hyperlinks in RTF. Could not find how or if reader support it at all. Do you have any suggestion about it?
I don't believe this can be done.

Hyperlinks just plain don't work.

With footnotes, it's probably best to convert to "in line" notes; this is what, for example, Project Gutenberg books do.

Eg,

This is some text which needs an explanatory footnote[*] to explain something.

[* This is the footnote.]

The next sentence of text...

I normally make the footnote a smaller size to the main text (generally 14pt rather than 16pt so it stands out.

Regards,

Harry.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #69
RWood
Technogeezer

Maybe I missed it in the manual or something; but, if my Sony Reader is left with a page displayed (and fully charged before but not connected) it turns itself off after about 30 minutes of no page turning.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #70
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
60 minutes -- I do think it's in the manual somewhere, but who reads manuals?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:19 AM   #71
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Here is a protection tip if you travel.

Wallmart sells a mp3 accessory bag that will take the reader with its std case still attached. It give a bit more protection on the sides and has a small cloth hook. Its about 10 dollars. I think with work. It could be reinforced to protect the screen. But worked ok as is.

It sits inside with a zipper lide that not around the edge but the edge of the bag.

Just bounced my reader from west to east coast and back. No problems. And is NOT affected by the scanners. Used that bag and just dropped in my carry on stuff!

This thing is the greatest! Sat 4 hours waiting early Friday morning at the Savanna airport to open. Felt like 1/2 hour wait with the reader!

Last edited by Nightwing; 11-25-2006 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added photos
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #72
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Another use for the cover

I usually read in the horizontal position as need the largest size type. I just discovered while reading it at lunch, that can use the open cover as a prop to set the book up at an angle.

Now I can eat my sandwich without getting crumbs on the reader.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:33 PM   #73
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
I usually read in the horizontal position as need the largest size type. I just discovered while reading it at lunch, that can use the open cover as a prop to set the book up at an angle.

Now I can eat my sandwich without getting crumbs on the reader.
Nice!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:14 AM   #74
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Wow, I really like the rotating-the-cover tip. At first it seems like it's pointless, but it's actually much nicer in your hand without the cover's spine pushing into your palm. sucks about the magnets, tho
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:19 AM   #75
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Note power IS being used while the unit is off. I found this out today. while the unit was in the off mode I removed the SD card then put it back in. When I turned it on it was not at my book I was reading but the menu with NO SD card then it detected it and showed the contents (my place in the book was LOST!!) so I had to find it again. so if your gonna remove the SD card mark your place first.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote