Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fctools View Post
Yeah, as matter of fact I changed the serial # back to the one I posted before because the number changed and I was afraid of having someone else's.
1) The things you installed, where not installed where the serial number is stored - those actions did not change the serial number.

2) Any change to the serial number, must have been done by the "erase all" command.
I.E: It may have been wrong before (specially if you bought this unit used) and then was corrected by "erase all" - but now reset to the wrong one again by your own actions.

You should learn what the situation is, once you try to register the device with Amazon.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #62
fctools
Enthusiast
fctools began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
2) Any change to the serial number, must have been done by the "erase all" command.
I.E: It may have been wrong before (specially if you bought this unit used) and then was corrected by "erase all" - but now reset to the wrong one again by your own actions.
I did buy it used on ebay w/5.6.0.1 on but it wasn't JB or or anything could it have the wrong ser from the factory? Should I erase it again & and reflash?
fctools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #63
fctools
Enthusiast

Update

After I erased it, the ser # it had was the one I posted and the one I changed it back to after flashing. As far as I know the ser number did change after flashing. At least the hash of it did. I don't know what's going on.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fctools View Post
I did buy it used on ebay w/5.6.0.1 on but it wasn't JB or or anything could it have the wrong ser from the factory? Should I erase it again & and reflash?
The factory does not sell on e-bay.

You most likely got a re-furbished device.
And probably a black-listed one at that (the erase all command **should** have generated the correct serial number).
Old 04-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #65
fctools
Enthusiast

My version says now 5.4.0 and I don't intend to let it go higher therefore no syncing till I'm sure. The jailbreak is acting weird. I hit update and it updates and restarts the way any update would. I understand the way it's supposed to work the update screen doesn't even show it only says jailbreak.If I run jb.sh manually it says jailbreak but kual still doesn't work. Any suggestions?
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #66
knc1
Going Viral

The jailbreak for the Kindles **ONLY** affects the ability to install our update_*.bin packages.
It has **NOTHING** to do with the execution of applications.

- - - -

NOTE: I wrote of the jailbreak above.
The most recent versions of the jailbreak for series 5.x firmwares bundles **OTHER** things that do affect the execution of applications.

- - - -

Please tell us what error message (or unusual behavior) given when trying to run KUAL.
"Doesn't work" isn't very much to go on.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #67
fctools
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Please tell us what error message (or unusual behavior) given when trying to run KUAL.
"Doesn't work" isn't very much to go on.
The selected application could not be started. Please try again.
Both 1 & 2 do this.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If it's a 4GB PW2, it needs FW whats-its-face for Kindlets to work. Can't remember the version right now, it's in the KUAL FAQ.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

Right!
So in that case, the answer now to the next question that will be posted:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1301
(I just got my crystal ball to re-boot.)
Duh...
I just read my own reference - that example is the firmware version you need to make active documents work on a PW2. AFAIR.

Last edited by knc1; 04-23-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #70
fctools
Enthusiast

Presto! your crystal ball was right, worked perfectly! Finally after many hoops and jumps I have a jailbroken kindle. I locked the back door and synced with amazon and re-downloaded my books everything seems to work. Many thanks guys, I couldn't have done it without you!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:30 AM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

One of the few people who ever recovered from "erase all" - - -
Which means something has changed about its having been broken for years.

- - - -

Now if someone has a sacrificial PW2, we could probably investigate the details.
Hmm...
The "erase all" command should (well, was) part of the Amazon released u-boot sources, maybe a bit of code reading is called for before burning a PW2 to the gods of knowledge.

Hmm(2)...
If so, it probably got fixed when the USB downloader mode disappeared from the PW1 - - -
because with it fixed, they wouldn't need a 'magic key' sequence to enter USB downloader mode, they could just use u-boot (which is the way the firmware was intended to be used).

Last edited by knc1; 04-24-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:00 AM   #72
hontehai
hontehai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz572 View Post
Update 5

Here's what I did after logging in:

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
cd /mnt/mmc

echo 'raz572::0:0:raz572:/tmp/root:/bin/sh' >>etc/passwd
echo 'raz572:*:15826:0:99999:7:::' >>etc/shadow
echo 'raz572:*:15826:0:99999:7:::' >>etc/shadow-

cat etc/passwd
cat etc/shadow
cat etc/shadow-

Then, I restarted (power button on the bottom). Once booting finished, I did a whoami. It shows me as root. I did an 'exit' and logged in as raz572. I'm root again, in standard mode.

Success! It looks like I'm root in standard mode, so I think we're good to go for jailbreaking.
Could you explain detail ?
Ex: user hontehai and new password hontehai1
hontehai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #73
fctools
Enthusiast

I didn't quite get it either whether this step is actually essential but I was able to skip it. Maybe I missed something but once you log in as root in diags mode you can do as you please, wounded feet notwithstanding
Old 04-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #74
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It does not matter what username you are logged in as, what matters is being able to run the jailbreak scripts with root permissions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #75
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd go so far as to add that renaming the root account is a terrible idea on principle .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote