Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
My SmartQ7 is Kaput

The last few days my SmartQ7 has been acting strangely. Things were triggering all by themselves, applications would suddenly go haywire and I would have to reset. Today, my SmartQ7 screen stopped functioning with taps. After a reboot, the screen itself would no longer come on. After trying every trick in the book (and I'm one of the folks around here who wrote it), I'm assuming I'm out one SmartQ7 until I get it back from repair in China.

I'm a sad puppy. I really love this thing. On the flip side, I'm starting to think these things aren't very sturdy. Ahh well. I don't think I'll be buying one of the SmartV devices.

EDIT: I tried everything short of taking it apart for fear of messing up the warranty. Well, me being the model of patience (sarcasm), I took the unit apart anyway to see if I could fix it myself. After fooling with the ribbon cable for the screen, making sure it was secure, doing the same with the battery wire, I seem to have recovered my unit. Right now I'm flashing 5.0 back to it just in case the image was messed up for some reason. Hopefully it stays working.

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-05-2009 at 08:48 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Arg, its dead again. Looks like the touchscreen is the problem.
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
That's unfortunate, that little gizmo looked so cool in the review, best of luck in getting it repaired though!
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
I'm 90% sure that that is what happened to mine. Only much faster, like 2 weeks into owning it.

No problems with my replacement unit (I know that at least the screen was replaced b/c I had a small drop of super-glue on the screen -- long story.)

But I'm not using it as frequently -- not yet happy with the applications.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
@Coldsun - Sorry to hear about the demise of your Q7 , best of luck with the repairs
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Sorry to hear about your Q7, I know how you feel the same happened to mine (touch screen stopped working & programs started to open by themself ) this coming thursday will be 3 weeks since I send mine for repairs and I miss it a lot.

Last edited by Gibbo; 10-06-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
tr_tr
tr_tr began at the beginning.

Device: none
That sucks Coldsun, your excellent review here was one of my main reasons to buy one.
These cheap devices do have one major problem, when they need to be repaired it can take a long time to get it fixed.
tr_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Wish I was still in Thailand sometimes -- there are shops that actually repair electronics!

Amazing. They don't just throw the stuff away, or beg a corp to fix it!

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Thanks for the well wishes folks. Its definately dead. I had to break out my Nokia 770 for reading again. It seems very slow in comparison.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Coming Soon - Reviews on New Mobile Devices

Well I've decided to eat the price of my Q7 and try something new. I'll keep all of you informed.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally after around 6 weeks Eletroworld has received my Q7 and it's off for repairs, lets see how long that takes lol.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Finally after around 6 weeks Eletroworld has received my Q7 and it's off for repairs, lets see how long that takes lol.
Gee, did it walk the whole way?
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Gibbo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Gee, did it walk the whole way?
Hope it gets the bus on the way back lol
Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Hum, this devices don't have to do things like this, they were made to be very strong.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote