Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Getting SSH running under Windows XP??

Can anyone help me (real newbie) get SSH setup to work under Windows XP SP3?
Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Do you mean as a client, letting you connect elsewhere, in which case you should use PuTTY, or as a server, letting others connect to you, which is a bit more involved...
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Can anyone help me (real newbie) get SSH setup to work under Windows XP SP3?
If your intention is to connect with one of the Hanlin readers (such as mine, which is BeBook), you might read through the following thread, which Dave_S directs people to (and which with Dave's help sorted out the matter well for me):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53611
Old 09-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
If your intention is to connect with one of the Hanlin readers (such as mine, which is BeBook), you might read through the following thread, which Dave_S directs people to (and which with Dave's help sorted out the matter well for me):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53611
Thanks, ascherjim. I seem to almost be up to where you were in that thread. However I've not found the "instructions" on the OI site. Maybe I'm just old & blind. Will look again but you've given me a lot to work on.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Possibly the line at the bottom of the page here?

I would mention that if WinSCP doesn't work, it's often worth dropping back to command-line tools to try & investigate what's going on. Ones that are often useful are "ipconfig" which gives a list of your network interfaces & their addresses, "ping <address>" which tries to connect to a remote address and, in this particular case, Putty's "pscp" command is likely to be useful, particularly with the "-v" option. See here for more documentation.
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
I encourage everyone to improve SSHAccess page, especially windows-related part.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
I encourage everyone to improve SSHAccess page, especially windows-related part.
I gave it a shot.

I added WinSCP as an SSH client and tried to expand the description of how to get the initial connection setup in Windows. I am assuming that whatever client is selected will have it's own help information, so I did not add anything there.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 AM   #8
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Hey Dave,

I'm having trouble with WinSCP and thought why not ask the resident expert!

I've installed the May snapshot of OI, I've set the TCP/IP address and my computer recognises there is a conection there. So that all seems good.

The next bit of the instructions say...

Now run your SSH client and point it to the 192.168.111.1 (username: root, password: zxc).

Problem is, I don't see anywhere within WinSCP to enter an IP address? Am I missing something really basic?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edit: Using WinXP as my OS

Cheers,
PKFFW

Last edited by PKFFW; 09-25-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Now run your SSH client and point it to the 192.168.111.1 (username: root, password: zxc).

Problem is, I don't see anywhere within WinSCP to enter an IP address? Am I missing something really basic?
I am far from an expert, but I do have it running for my setup.

If I recall correctly, when you first start WinSCP you will see a screen where one of the choices is to setup a NEW connection. When you select a NEW connection you will get another screen for setting up the connection. The input section for Host Name: is where you enter the IP address. Below that is the User name and Password input blocks. In the Protocol section select SCP. Leave everything else as is. The session key file will be setup the first time that you make a connection with OpenInnkpot.

BTW, the web based help guides at the WinSCP site give much more thorough help because there are a lot of things that WinSCP can do that I have not tried yet.
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/guides
Old 09-25-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Many thanks Dave. I had not changed the protocol to SCP and that was the problem.

Cheers,
PKFFW