Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
clixto
clixto began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
V3 Screen Display Broken - Only segments being drawn

Hi All,

I've been a long time reader on this forum but have never had any issues with my V3 until now. The V3 was purchased almost 2 years ago now directly from Jinke. I was reading a book (.fb2 format) last night and clicked for the next page when all of a sudden the screen display appeared to crash and only show some columns of lines. What I have found is that only certain small segments of the screen are being drawn. I have tried resetting using the pinhole and viewing some of the internal non SD card books but it hasn't helped. I am on the most recent version of the Jinke firmware (updated a month or so ago, so that is not the issue). It is almost as if the display had sustained some damage but I was just reading it in my hand as per normal.

I've sent an email to Jinke but in the meantime I thought I'd try here in case anyone else has encountered this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I need to get my baby working again!

Have attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1243_1.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	32860  
clixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
That doesn't look like your typical screen substrate breakage. With the strict vertical stratification I'd guess at a screen controller failure instead, although a broken screen is still possible, I guess. The remedy remains the same, though: you'll have to send in the device for repairs. You may want to budget the equivalent of USD 120 for the repair bill, too. :-(
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
First, I'm not an electronic guru so take this as just a gut level opinion but how is the battery's charge? Have you considered replacing the battery and seeing what will happen? Just a thought.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
clixto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
First, I'm not an electronic guru so take this as just a gut level opinion but how is the battery's charge? Have you considered replacing the battery and seeing what will happen? Just a thought.
I wish it was the battery - it is fully charged and tested and the condition persists when plugged into the usb charger.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
phoenix55218
phoenix55218 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Same problem

My PRS500 developed the same symptoms 4 days ago. I spoke with a Sony rep on Sony chat and he had never heard of this happening before. After leaving it off for 24 hours, the problem temporarily resolved, but today it is doing it again.
I'm trying to decide whether to replace it with a 505 or switch to the Kindle 2 or maybe the new Kindle DX.
I can still read my sony books on my laptop.
phoenix55218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
clixto

I got in touch with Jinke and they agreed to fix this under warranty (even though the warranty had expired). Unfortunately the screen had broken so I had to pay for that and the shipping from Australia to China return. From the time I sent it off to the time I had it back in my hands was exactly 2 weeks. A pretty good response time given the distance, all in all great service and support from Jinke.

Thankyou Jinke!