Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
boram
boram began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Help Starting Server

Hi All,
I've been working on this for a week or so now.. with no luck...
I keep getting the Port 8080 not free on "0.0.0.0" message. I did a search on this forum and here are the steps that I have taken to try to resolve:

1. Disabled windows firewall and all antivirus/firewall type applications.
2. Rebooted
3. Enabled the port to be forwarded on the router
3. Tested 8080 port with utorrent and it reports to be open (and then closed utorrent of course)
4. rebooted a few more times
5. tried different ports including 8787, rebooted a few more times ...

.... and I am running out of ideas..

thoughts?

Thanks.
boram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Instead of totally disabling firewall (sometimes, it doesn't seem to catch in Windows), try adding an exception for the specific port number you use with Calibre.

Question, is the server stopped when you try to change ports? Maybe try running Calibre in Administrator mode?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
boram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Instead of totally disabling firewall (sometimes, it doesn't seem to catch in Windows), try adding an exception for the specific port number you use with Calibre.

Question, is the server stopped when you try to change ports? Maybe try running Calibre in Administrator mode?
Thanks for the reply.
- I forgot to mention that I did try to add the exception, with no luck.
- As for the administrator, i have user access control off, but i tried running it as administrator as well, but no luck either.

My question is, if utorrent can see it from the outside and it says port open, why would it think the port is busy and/or closed?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre thinks the port is busy when the OS prevents it from listening on that port. This canhappen either if another program is using the port or the OS has some security policies preventing calibre from listening on the port
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:17 AM   #5
Colaveare
Colaveare began at the beginning.

or go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/
type in the port number and then click check.
It will tell you if that port is really open.
Colaveare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaveare View Post
or go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/
type in the port number and then click check.
It will tell you if that port is really open.
Actually, that will only tell if the port is open to the public internet. You don't need that to work inorder for the Calibre server to work.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
boram

Is there anyway of checking which ports are currently in use? to ensure that a port is truly busy or not.
I tried the canyouseeme.org check, and it says connection refused when only calibre is on (server is off), and when i turn on a different server appplication and make it listen to 8080 canyouseeme.org says everything is good. So.. i know it is not an ISP thing, and I know it is not a firewall thing.

Something has to be "confusing" calibre to think the port is busy, when it really is not.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
boram

Any thoughts

Hi everyone,
I now tried it on another computer at home, and i still get the same issue. Do you think it has to do with the router? or the antivirus... i am sure i forward the port on the router, and stopped the antivirus and exited.. thoughts?

Thanks.

Tags
server