Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Importing files onto a Kindle

I do not own a Kindle, so this really is a bit of a 'noob' post.

I've owned a Rocket eBook for the last 9+ years and I've gotten quite used to preformatting my HTML source books into good-looking (to me, at least) Rocket editions. (I like indented, fully-justified paragraphs without a blank line between paragraphs and blank-line/short horizontal rule/blank-line for scene changes.)

I'm really liking the idea of the Kindle DX (actually always liked the Sony 505, too, and ready to buy one, but the DX is now singing its siren song...)

A friend is raising a stink about his not liking the Kindle's DRM, so I have a few questions:

As I understand it, you can send files to Amazon to convert into Kindle format for you. You can either have them emailed back (free) or WhisperNetted to the unit at 10 cents a file or the newer 15 cents/megabyte.

Are those returned files DRMed?

Also, I've been lead to believe that you can hand-build the files locally (through whatever means) and transfer them over via the USB cable.

Are those files DRMed?

Basically, I intend to take my existing Rocket Library (I still have all the source HTML for my home-converted files) and converting them for use on the Kindle, should I wind up getting one.

Any information the regulars can share?

Any pitfalls I need to know about?

Thanks.

-Joe
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Personal files that you send for conversion to the Kindle do not have DRM. If you build files for Kindle using Mobipocket Creator, etc. those files do not have DRM.

I don't know anything about the Rocket eBook, but I know a bit about Mobipocket format for the Kindle. Less formatting is better, for Mobipocket conversions. If you do not specify justification, you will get full justification, and the option to left-justify on the Kindle. There are Mobipocket-specific tags for page breaks. Check out information on Mobipocket formatting on Mobileread, Mobipocket, etc, and use that info when converting. Your files should look fine.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I would recommend using either Calibre or Mobipocket Creator to convert those HTML files manually to MOBI format, then transfer them via USB onto the Kindle. Like Susan said, they will not have DRM.

I hope you enjoy your new Kindle when you get it!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I would recommend using either Calibre or Mobipocket Creator to convert those HTML files manually to MOBI format, then transfer them via USB onto the Kindle. Like Susan said, they will not have DRM.

I hope you enjoy your new Kindle when you get it!
Ha!! You're thread-stalking me!

Thanks, you two for the replies.

I'd suspected that home-rolled wouldn't have any DRM issues, but my friend is having 'second-hand distress' as a coworker has a Kindle and he's already an anti-DRM kind of guy. (I'm not whippy about it either.)

I use very little unusual HTML in the Rocket editions, aside from its interesting was of inserting chapter breaks.

Some horizontal rules, ellipses and m-dashes, that's about it for the bulk of the code.

As I've said: I've been leaning toward a 505 - Sony's got a great deal going, at the moment, too - but even at the hideous price point of the DX, the size has caught my attention.

Thanks.

-Joe
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
You can't go wrong with either device. While Sony is more open and most files I just drag and drop, using Calibre makes loading the Kindle a breeze.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I love my K2 so I don't really want to speak out against the DX. However, I would let someone else be the guinea pig first on these. There are some questions about the durability of the screen in the DX size.

There have been mixed reports on whether broken screens have been covered under warranty, but the most recent news appears to be that they are not. At this point I'm waiting on user reports to see how they hold up for the first three to six months.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Go for a used Kindle 1.

I picked up mine for $205 shipped and I imagine that now you should be able to get one for $250 or under.

You can also mail documents to your free Kindle account (*Amazon account name*@free.kindle.com) for conversion. They email you back the file and then you have to transfer it via USB. Only thing is, the file name will be the title and the author will be your email address.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
You can't go wrong with either device. While Sony is more open and most files I just drag and drop, using Calibre makes loading the Kindle a breeze.
Yes, Calibre makes things easier for me as well.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote