Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #76
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I loved the HP books, and I don't believe everyone else needs to. But I often hear people say they read the first 2 or 3 and then got bored. I can understand that because the first 3 books were kids books.

However, imo, someone who stoppped at book 3 doesn't have a complete picture of the series. It began to morph in book 4, and by book 5, which was quite dark, the series was a completely new animal.

I think that contributes to the "I loved them" vs "I disliked them" debate, because they are comparing apples to oranges.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #77
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
But I often hear people say they read the first 2 or 3 and then got bored. I can understand that because the first 3 books were kids books.
Well if you don't want kids books, you shouldn't read Harry Potter at all, because that's what it is, even including the seventh book. All things considered, it's still set in a school, and not everybody dies. If you find it boring by then you can just as well move on.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I, for one, never give a series entire book's worth of time for me to warm up to the content. No author gets that sort of grace period from this reader.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #79
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I liked the first two books, but book tree is the point where I really got hocked with Harry Potter.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #80
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I couldn't have described myself better! You have an amazing gift.

Now excuse me, as I have an appointment to drive crowds of believers insane by dilating their senses beyond reason while reciting the lyrics to 60s pop songs in a halting voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Okay, its morning and I am still very groggy.
Somehow I juxtaposed Presti's "Vast Pulsating Jerk" comment with the Lovecraft covers.
Now I am envisioning Prestidigitweeze as a vast, tentacled Elder god...who looks disturbingly like William Shatner.
This will probably go away after I have some coffee.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #81
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
It's quite possible that if Star Wars and the Potter books hadn't existed, something better or worse might have taken their place. And since I can't imagine anything worse than Star Wars, I have to assume the alternative would have been either better or merely as bad.
Anything's possible, I suppose. There might have been something waiting in the wings that would transform science fiction, but I don't see any evidence of anyone throwing a way genius scripts because of Star Wars. If anything, it was the opposite. Star Wars showed a science fiction movie could be a success.

And of course, the rest of the world doesn't share your extremely negative view of Star Wars.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #82
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Anything's possible, I suppose. There might have been something waiting in the wings that would transform science fiction, but I don't see any evidence of anyone throwing a way genius scripts because of Star Wars.
You're missing the point. It's never a question of writers "throwing away genius scripts." I believe there are geniuses on practically every block, and many have the potential to do great work.

It's a question of the market closing at key moments once minimum requirements are met. Very few projects pass through that door, and very often, the choices can be arbitrary.

Quote:
And of course, the rest of the world doesn't share your extremely negative view of Star Wars.
And of course your characterization of the world as you and everyone else in it being in lockstep re Star Wars is misinformed. A lot of other people have hated those films. You might not know them or care to, but they exist.

This of course is the fallacy of the internet: Denizens mistake popular consensus for lasting critical judgment, which the centuries have shown is unlikely in rather ironic ways.

That presumption also pimps conformity in the most literal-minded sense: "Your assessment is invalid because a lot of other people like the film." (Translation: the person telling you this and possibly their friends liked the film.)

Very often, breakthroughs critical and otherwise happen when someone ignores the common consensus and looks at some habit of thought mistaken for truth in a different way.

It would be a boring world if everyone liked the same things, let alone for the same reasons. Some of my favorite critics are the ones who argue compellingly for tastes and positions that are the opposite of my own.

But even a compelling populist argument can't consist of regurgitated ad populum.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-26-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #83
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch

Last edited by QuantumIguana; 02-26-2012 at 05:28 PM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #84
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I don't know why there are so many complaints about the HP books not out as ebooks. Yes, they are out there and in great condition. The fact that JK Rowling doesn't make any money off of them is entirely from her lack of trying to put our her own copies.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #85
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Unless she's going to be writing about a topic that interests me, it won't matter to me if she writes a non-Harry Potter book - same as any other author.

I'm sure her first non-children's book will sell tremendously, because all of those first Potterettes have grown up and will buy the book out of loyalty.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #86
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #87
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
However, imo, someone who stoppped at book 3 doesn't have a complete picture of the series. It began to morph in book 4, and by book 5, which was quite dark, the series was a completely new animal.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I enjoyed the first three books as well-written children's books, but I didn't consider myself a fan of Harry Potter until book four. Specifically, the final act of that book was a turning point for the series to become something darker and more adult.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #88
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Oh...well I guess scratch that on legal ebook versions of Harry Potter.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #89
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Since this book is targeted at adults, I wonder if children will adore it.
This reminds me of 'Love Story.' The book supposedly was written to include every cliche, every bad author's trick. That may be the formiula to writing a blockbuster.
I enjoyed the HP series. I read it with each of my boysand the daughter that was interesred.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 02-27-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: I edit because I am a putz.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #90
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
This reminds me of 'Love Story.' The book supposedly was written to include every cliche, every bad author's trick. That may be the formiula to writing a blockbuster....
Not to mention having been written by an author who claimed to have never been in love.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote