Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #271
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just in time pricing.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #272
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Try clearing your cookies and load the page again. It could be some old info in your cookies is causing the price mishap. Someone else already said that worked for them.

Personally, the T1 seems extremely tempting. I'm thinking I'll see how things go after it is rooted.
It definately depends on the store you select as your home store.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #273
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you actually want one, Bilbo? I honestly can't see what benefit it offers over the 650 that you already have!
I see what you mean, and the honest answer is that I am not sure. I am a sucker for gadgets and I'd probably pass on the 650 to my son, who would pass on his 600 in turn to somebody else in the family.

Apart from wi-fi (which I don't think I'd use much ) and the reduced weight, I can't see many advantages. Are there actually any drawbacks that you can see?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #274
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, it looks like a nice reader, but it's really just a 650 with WiFi, and if you're not going to use the WiFi much, why spend £130 (or whatever it costs) for no good reason? Of course, if the reason is simply that it's a fun new gadget to play with, that's probably good enough . I used to buy every new reader that came out, but for me they've now matured sufficently that I'm no longer doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #275
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it looks like a nice reader, but it's really just a 650 with WiFi, and if you're not going to use the WiFi much, why spend £130 (or whatever it costs) for no good reason? Of course, if the reason is simply that it's a fun new gadget to play with, that's probably good enough . I used to buy every new reader that came out, but for me they've now matured sufficently that I'm no longer doing so.
Thanks Harry. If I do buy one it'll be for the latter reason (unless, of course, my wife is reading this, in which case there are any number of compelling reasons to buy a new reader).
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #276
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The only real drawback it seems is the lack of BBeB support, so if you have any .lrf or .lrx files around, you'll be out of luck.

I'm interested in it because it has Android, and dedicated buttons for Home, back, and Menu, so if it gets rooted you can have all the Androidy goodness with eInk.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #277
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The only real drawback it seems is the lack of BBeB support, so if you have any .lrf or .lrx files around, you'll be out of luck.

I'm interested in it because it has Android, and dedicated buttons for Home, back, and Menu, so if it gets rooted you can have all the Androidy goodness with eInk.
If you have LRX hanging about, go to Sony's eBookstore and download the ePub versions. LRX never did work on the x50 line even if the software on the x50 line supports it. The eBookstore doesn't. So no way to register to use LRX. Also, the way LRX was formatted was awful. It's like 1/2 the screen was wasted due to excessive margins and most of the LRX had a font too small. And increasing the size made the font them too big.

If you have LRF, Calibre will convert to ePub. LRF is dead. Let it stay dead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #278
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Thanks Harry. If I do buy one it'll be for the latter reason (unless, of course, my wife is reading this, in which case there are any number of compelling reasons to buy a new reader).
I'm thinking of getting one as a backup to my 505 and K2 in case they should both happen to fail simultaneously!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #279
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:

Thanks for that. I didn't know that the T1 didn't support .lrf files. Fortunately, I have very few of those and think I've read them all anyway.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #280
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm thinking of getting one as a backup to my 505 and K2 in case they should both happen to fail simultaneously!
See, it can always be justified. You can never be too careful!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #281
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
What the.. they've raise the price on the Swedish site from 1555 to 1699 Kr.
My reaction was much less polite when I found out. Still, it is half the price what they wanted for Sony PRS 505 when it was released.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #282
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
See, it can always be justified. You can never be too careful!

Exactly!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #283
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
My reaction was much less polite when I found out. Still, it is half the price what they wanted for Sony PRS 505 when it was released.
How much is that in pounds (UK)?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #284
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have LRX hanging about, go to Sony's eBookstore and download the ePub versions. LRX never did work on the x50 line even if the software on the x50 line supports it. The eBookstore doesn't. So no way to register to use LRX. Also, the way LRX was formatted was awful. It's like 1/2 the screen was wasted due to excessive margins and most of the LRX had a font too small. And increasing the size made the font them too big.

If you have LRF, Calibre will convert to ePub. LRF is dead. Let it stay dead.
I liked LRF, just didn't like the DRM. As far as your complaints about margins and font, I've only experienced that with books from the Sony store. Copies from places like Smashwords, and the default options from Calibre were much much better.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #285
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
The price for the T1? £150, I think. So yes, they wanted £300 for the 505 and, I think, the 600.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote