Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
PRS-950 page refresh speed VS PRS-505

The title says it all - is it faster and by how much roughly ?
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The PRS 950 seems noticeably faster.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
flake
flake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: prs950, prs-t1
I traded in my 505 for the 950 (don't have the 505 anymore to do a side to side comparison). For text, I feel the 950 is "snappier". I feel for PDF, it is much more noticeable. I remember that I used to hit the next page button 1-2 sec before I reach the end of the page on the 505. So when I really at the end of the page, the page turn timing is just about right to continue reading uninterrupted.

I dont have to do it for the 950. Reach the page end, swipe and continue.
flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I just did a side-by-side comparison. With the 950, the screen flashes and you are on the next page. With the 505, there is a noticeable pause and then the screen flash. So, yes, the 950 is definitely noticeably "snappier".
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Ahh, thanks guys. I was hoping someone would have the exact numbers but "definitely noticeably snappier" is good enough as a reason to upgrade.
Now how about the battery life, I was asking about the max. number of page turns and mAh in another thread but got no answers. Googling gives nothing on mAh and wildly varying numbers for page turns.
So can you people who upgraded from the 505 to the 950 tell me if the 950 lasts noticeably longer (without SD / WLAN) ?
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Battery life is definitely excellent on the newer models. I can get at least a week of battery life on my 950 with Wi-fi on. I don't usually turn wireless off. But I could get about 2 weeks with wireless off on my 900 so I imagine the 950 is a little better.

Battery life and page turns weren't really factors when I decided to upgrade. I thought they were pretty good on the 505. It's the extra benefits like the touchscreen, better screen contrast and built-in dictionaries that made the sale for me compared to the 505.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Yeah I know the battery life was always good, but considering rechargeable batteries degrade (and these readers sometimes even come with defective batteries it seems) the more capacity the better. And besides, the less often you have to charge it the better (less of a bother).
So if PRS-950 has stronger batteries then the PRS-505 (which would be very easy to tell if only stupid Sony gave exact specs for it's devices on it's site), or consumes less power for turning pages (due to Pearl display technology maybe consuming less power then Vizplex ?) that would be a plus in my book, and another reason for upgrading (others being mainly contrast, display size, refresh speed and touchscreen).
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Here are some other comparisons that might interest you. The 950 is also faster at scanning/indexing when you start it after loading new files. The larger internal memory is also a plus for me. I no longer have to rely on the SD card for storage like the 505. The 950 also seems to be more stable. I have fewer crashes / restarts on the 950 than I did with the 505.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Here are some other comparisons that might interest you. The 950 is also faster at scanning/indexing when you start it after loading new files.
That's very good to know. I hate waiting an eternity for it to format a new book.
More zoom levels are also a plus.

Quote:
The larger internal memory is also a plus for me. I no longer have to rely on the SD card for storage like the 505.
I don't really need 2 GB (how many books can one read at one time ?) but it's a nice round number, better then 192 MB, and makes the SD card slot totally redundant.

Quote:
The 950 also seems to be more stable. I have fewer crashes / restarts on the 950 than I did with the 505.
I never experienced any crashes with the 505. Which firmware did you use, the old without file deletion or the newer that supports it ?
And you say you have crashes with the 950 too only fewer ? Damn that's really something I didn't want to hear, in addition to reading horror stories from users with defective batteries...

Last edited by Enkidu of Abydos; 02-22-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #10
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Years back, when someone first showed me an early e-ink reader, I remember thinking, "that's a nice toy, but at the price, the contrast should be better, and the page turns faster"

When I was visiting a local retailer several months back, I stumbled on the PRS-650 set up on display, and decided to check it out - fully expecting to be underwhelmed again.

Didn't happen. The screen contrast on the PRS-650 is noticeably better, perhaps not quite matching published books on the best glossy magazine stock, but better than typical newspaper quality, matching most paperback books.

The page turns now clip along at two or three pages per second.

The touch screen is AWESOME

I strolled over to casually examine the PRS-650 expecting to move right along, and ended up deciding that I HAD TO HAVE ONE.

If you are reasonably happy with your 505, I expect that you will LOVE either the 650 or 950.
(unless you are just one of those folks who hates dealing with anything different)

Last edited by delphin; 02-22-2011 at 03:47 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
My 505 would occasionally crash, but I still loved it.

I can't recall my 950 ever crashing and I love it even more than the 505.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I used to carry a paperclip with me when I traveled with my 505 just in case I needed to do a reset. I think it had memory issues. Once I figured out to clear the history cache for each book more frequently then it would crash less. The 950 is much more stable. Last week was the first time that it has just frozen and needed a reset.

I have not read that many scary stories about battery life on the 950. I wonder how many are related to a bad wireless connection that runs down the battery. My Internet went out overnight a few days ago. My battery went from full to one bar. I had an error message about lost wireless when I woke up. Same thing happened on my NOOKcolor to be fair. Both typically have great battery life with Wi-fi on full-time. I turned wireless off over the weekend just to make sure my battery is fine and it was really just a bad Internet connection that wore it down so quickly. I am nearly done with my 3rd book and only down one bar so far.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

Quote:
I used to carry a paperclip with me when I traveled with my 505 just in case I needed to do a reset. I think it had memory issues. Once I figured out to clear the history cache for each book more frequently then it would crash less. The 950 is much more stable. Last week was the first time that it has just frozen and needed a reset.
I regularly clean the history, maybe that's it.

Quote:
I have not read that many scary stories about battery life on the 950. I wonder how many are related to a bad wireless connection that runs down the battery.
Well there are certainly lots of horror stories about the 505 with bad batteries (just check out this forum), and it didn't have WLAN. And we're not talking 75% of normal, we're talking 2% of normal !
And what's the scariest, nobody mentions any normal solution to this ! You have group A, who live in the US and just send it back for a good one, and group B, who try to replace the battery and either destroy the device or succeed and have a battery that lasts for 2 weeks and then dies.
So what is someone who doesn't live in the US (there's a whole world out there believe it or not) supposed to do ?
I just hope mine will be the right one...
Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
Well there are certainly lots of horror stories about the 505 with bad batteries (just check out this forum), and it didn't have WLAN. And we're not talking 75% of normal, we're talking 2% of normal ...
Battery change on the 505 was no problem for some folks, and a nightmare for many others because the way the case is put together made it easy to damage the foil ribbon cable when reassembling the case after replacing the battery.

By way of comparison, changing the battery on the PRS-600 seems to be a breeze and takes only few minutes.

You might want to look up a YouTube vid of the procedure for a 505 and compare that to the vids showing the battery change on the PRS-600.

I haven't found any information on the battery change procedure for the PRS-650 or PRS-950, but hopefully it's like the 600 NOT like the 505.

Looking at the case on my 650, the rear case screw layout looks exactly like the 600, so changing the battery will hopefully also only involve a couple screws and take only a few minutes like the 600.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster

I really hope it will be that simple. Of course I'd even rather I never have to do it. Maybe it will be a chance to use my precision screwdriver set I bought recently for the replacement of the HD in an Eee PC 1015PEM with an SSD. Anyway, I'd guess we'll see PRS-950 battery replacement movies as soon as we see some replacement batteries. I would have expected them already seeing as how popular it is.
Hmmm, something new and interesting constantly pops up in this thread every time I think it's dead... all for some usefull info.