Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
the_fog_26
the_fog_26 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Just how good is reading a comic on a Kindle Fire \ other ereaders?

To be honest the primary reason for getting an ereader is due to comics. What are people's experiences with reading comics on the Kindle Fire, or is there an alternate tablet that may be better? There's a couple of things that are key to me:

Does reading it on a 7 inch screen a positive, or a drawback? Obviously that's significantly smaller than a normal sized comic (manga aside) and I know it'll probably come down to personal preference, but is a 7 inch too small? I think if the 8.9 inch Kindle was out in the UK (where Im based) i'd go for that one (iPad3 is a bit too much out my price range atm). I know on the Comixology app there's the feature of looking at one panel at a time but yeh, just wondered people's own thoughts on this? Everything else about the Kindle has pretty much been sold to me (I'm an Amazon junkie, would use it primarily as a film \ book device) but reading comics on it is the deal breaker for me.

Should I choose to get an 8.9 inch one (there are other one's out there in the UK for a good price and good reviews, such as the A1CS Fusion Premium), I'm not sure if they particularly cater for being a comic book ereader? Again, anyone's advice \ experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
the_fog_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I can only speak about reading cbz/cbr comics....

I have found that most 7" tablets are not quite good enough for reading comics. The only exception has been the 7" Kindle Fire HD 16GB. It is actually very readable. I just tried reading a cbz-version of an old 1971 Sears Wishbook catalog. The original size was at least 8.5" x 11.0" and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to read the catalog without the continuous need to zoom in.

If you can, try to get a hands-on with both 7" and 8.9" models. The 7" MIGHT be acceptable to you, but I think that there'll be absolutely no problem with the 8.9".
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
nprentiss
Connoisseur
nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nprentiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
I've been using Perfect Viewer for .cbz/cbr and (with a plug-in) .pdf comics. The reading was adequate on the original 7" fire; after about a week with the Fire HD, I see a significant upgrade, brighter and clearer, and just seeming BIGGER despite the 7" screen.

The Amazon guided view is not as good as Comixology, since the Kindle files force you to use a Portrait mode. It's better to read in 1/3 screen increments in Landscape.
nprentiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nprentiss View Post
I've been using Perfect Viewer for .cbz/cbr and (with a plug-in) .pdf comics. The reading was adequate on the original 7" fire; after about a week with the Fire HD, I see a significant upgrade, brighter and clearer, and just seeming BIGGER despite the 7" screen.
Thanks for pointing that out. I felt the same way but I thought it was just me.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
8.9" would be better. I have to constantly use both Amazon's guided view and Comixology's panel view because the screen is not big enough going across.

With 5" x 7.5" manga you lose about one 1/2 to two inches, and that doesn't scale down well. The bigger comic book type comics also suffer from scaling issues.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
the_fog_26
the_fog_26 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I am leaning towards a larger screen- the A1CS appears to have glowing reviews as a tablet. Does anyone have any experiences with it, and its quality as an ereader (comic books or otherwise) in particular?

Many thanks
the_fog_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I've been using Perfect Viewer for .cbz/cbr"
Hi I use both Perfect viewer and comic reader mobi for my ever growing CBR/CBZ collection.
I use perfect viewer in landscape mode on my first gen kindle fire as its auto navigation is perfect in that orientation.

I use Comic render mobi for those titles where the author failed to be conservative with the amount of text per panel.
this is because Comic reader mobi has a wonderful a proprietary text recognition "smart lens" technology that creates a magnification window over any text that you tap.

I personally found the Amazon included "comixology " to be rather useless by virtue of it being a Closed Garden" system.

Cheers
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Hi I use both Perfect viewer and comic reader mobi for my ever growing CBR/CBZ collection.
I use perfect viewer in landscape mode on my first gen kindle fire as its auto navigation is perfect in that orientation.

I use Comic render mobi for those titles where the author failed to be conservative with the amount of text per panel.
this is because Comic reader mobi has a wonderful a proprietary text recognition "smart lens" technology that creates a magnification window over any text that you tap.

I personally found the Amazon included "comixology " to be rather useless by virtue of it being a Closed Garden" system.

Cheers
Actually the big advantage of Amazon including "Comixology" is that it's the one stop-shop for people who actually want to buy current comics in digital format. It is the only place where you can buy all the major publishers except Dark Horse, and the only place where anyone who buys Marvel's $3.99 books can redeem the digital code.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I saw this, and decided to buy the Walking Dead books. I had read a couple in paper form, and was unimpressed. Well, I just rebought the first 3 books, and I am in love! You get the best of both worlds - you can see the whole page, which is v ery bright and crisp, or you can use the panel view if you have old eyes like me. It makes it so enjoyable, I bought the other compendiums as well. Thanks for the question!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I'm using Perfect Viewer on the Kindle 8.9 and love reading comics on it. My wife has the iPad 1 and comics on the 8.9 are sharper and brighter. Not one complaint to report. Two thumbs up for the 8.9
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I love perfect viewer in landscape mode on my first gen kindle Fire
it has gotten me into comic books as much as I was back in the 1970's as a kid.

I really love how the Awesome the Comic Art is now compared to the early 1980's when I stopped collecting and entered the military
Except now I have the advantage of them being all Digital so storage for my new collection is not an Issue.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #12
cb_reader
cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cb_reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
For me, the issue with 7" devices is that they so often come with the recommendation for reading in landscape and I hate that because you can't see the whole page at a glance, and for a number of artists the page structure matters.
I agree completely and this was my big hesitation with a 7" tablet. I don't read panel to panel and I don't read landscape by default to enlarge the content. I read with full page view on 7" HD tablets.
cb_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #13
AndrewH7
Enthusiast
AndrewH7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Comic on Fire...(mmm that'll look comical!)

Just got Amazon Fire, so I thought I'd try Charmed season 10 No. 13 (I've Nos. 1-12 in 2 vols.) & save 2-80 p&p or waiting months for vol. 3.
I found it = OK after zooming in to read it, but then it zooms out again on next page. I'd like 1 land·scape picture (or 2 little 1s), & then go to next. In land·scape I get 2 pages showing, so = smaller than @ portrait.
Would it = better getting 1 for Android instead of Kindle?
AndrewH7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH7 View Post
Just got Amazon Fire, so I thought I'd try Charmed season 10 No. 13 (I've Nos. 1-12 in 2 vols.) & save 2-80 p&p or waiting months for vol. 3.
I found it = OK after zooming in to read it, but then it zooms out again on next page. I'd like 1 land·scape picture (or 2 little 1s), & then go to next. In land·scape I get 2 pages showing, so = smaller than @ portrait.
Would it = better getting 1 for Android instead of Kindle?
I would recommend installing the Comixology app and using that instead of Kindle app (you can read with either). It is more specialized for comics, in particular it will automatically organize your collection into series, genres etc.

In either case you probably should be using 'panel view'. In Kindle app you double tap on a panel and it will zoom up to fit screen. Then page turns will navigate panel by panel. Comixology app calls it Guided View, and I like it better than Panel View because of the smooth animation.

If you purchase from Comixology rather than Amazon, the titles will not be available in the Kindle app, but a least a number of them can be downloaded in DRM-free format.

The Comixology app is basically the same on Android as on Fire.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-03-2016 at 02:48 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I use the Comixology App instead of the Kindle app as well. It's a much better reading experience. You can buy the comics on Amazon, and they'll come up in your Comixology app if you have it linked to your Amazon account.

I almost always use the guided view (dubbed panel view in the above post). I have it set to show the whole page, and then move into each panel. That way I still get to see the whole page if it's a one pager, but also read through the comic via guided view. I find that it's a very nice experience once you get used to it.

I read mostly on my iPad Air (9.7" screen). You will definitely want a larger screen for optimal experience. I will read on my LG G3 (5.2" screen) in a pinch, and it works fine with guided view, but definitely not as nice as reading on the iPad Air.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic, comics, ereader, graphic novel