Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #16
GameGod
Enthusiast
GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet5590 View Post
Thanks so much for getting a version that doesn't require root. I've only tried it on one book so far, but it's working perfectly, as far as I can see.
Thanks for reporting your results I plan to publish the new version on the market this weekend.
GameGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #17
GameGod
Enthusiast
GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GameGod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated app that no longer requires root access released on the Market. First post updated with the details.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #18
GameGod
Enthusiast

New version with a couple of bug fixes released. First post updated with details.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
prophet5590
prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Charge, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
I'm just curious, how much cpu does the automatic syncing in the Pro version use? I don't mind the manual sync at all, but, admittedly the auto-sync would be nice. I just worry that it might be constantly polling the data, all the time...
prophet5590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
GameGod
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm just curious, how much cpu does the automatic syncing in the Pro version use? I don't mind the manual sync at all, but, admittedly the auto-sync would be nice. I just worry that it might be constantly polling the data, all the time...
There is no polling of data at all. The app uses the event mechanism built into the Android system to watch for changes to the Aldiko databases as well as determining when to launch the sync. So, there should be no major change in battery life with auto sync turned on.

If you do see an issue with battery life, then please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #21
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I can't wait to try this out!
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #22
GameGod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolina View Post
I can't wait to try this out!
Please share your experience if possible

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #23
prophet5590
prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prophet5590 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGod View Post
There is no polling of data at all. The app uses the event mechanism built into the Android system to watch for changes to the Aldiko databases as well as determining when to launch the sync. So, there should be no major change in battery life with auto sync turned on.

If you do see an issue with battery life, then please let me know.

Thanks.

Sold, then! I know it's not a ton of cash but I hope, if nothing else, it shows appreciation and encourages you to continue. Thanks so much.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #24
GameGod
Enthusiast

Quote:

Sold, then! I know it's not a ton of cash but I hope, if nothing else, it shows appreciation and encourages you to continue. Thanks so much.
Thanks!

Yes, still working on a couple of features, the most important of which is the fix to the "squished" cover/thumbnail images when a book is imported to a device with a different screen density.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #25
prophet5590

Not that I think it is having any effect on battery life, but I notice that every time I unlock my phone (Samsung Droid Charge), I see 'Sync operation is starting/Sync operation completed successfully" in the status area at the top of my phone.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #26
GameGod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Not that I think it is having any effect on battery life, but I notice that every time I unlock my phone (Samsung Droid Charge), I see 'Sync operation is starting/Sync operation completed successfully" in the status area at the top of my phone.
Yes, that's normal behavior.

Since Dropbox provides no notification mechanism to determine if there are any pending changes, I run a quick check every time the phone is unlocked. The idea is that all changes are pulled down to your device in case you want to start reading your favorite book

Changes from your phone are only pushed to Dropbox when you actually make a change to a book via Aldiko.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #27
GameGod
Enthusiast

New version released, first post updated with the details.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #28
GameGod
Enthusiast

New version released, details in the first post.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #29
AngusSF
AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AngusSF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Devices
What a WONDERFUL app. I love using it to sync my HTC phone and my Samsung tablet. HOWEVER ....

Please make Aldiko Sync available for download outside the Android Marketplace. You can get Aldiko Reader on the Amazon Apps Market, but if you don't have the Market App, you can't get Sync. This leaves the Kindle Fire and my Android VM (running on my PC, so it doesn't have access to the Android Marketplace) unable to sync with my other Android devices.
AngusSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #30
GameGod
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusSF View Post
What a WONDERFUL app. I love using it to sync my HTC phone and my Samsung tablet. HOWEVER ....

Please make Aldiko Sync available for download outside the Android Marketplace. You can get Aldiko Reader on the Amazon Apps Market, but if you don't have the Market App, you can't get Sync. This leaves the Kindle Fire and my Android VM (running on my PC, so it doesn't have access to the Android Marketplace) unable to sync with my other Android devices.
Thanks Glad you like my little app.

I'll take a look at making the app available at the Amazon market place, but here are a couple of issues:
  • I'll have to modify the app to work with Amazon's version of Market licensing.
  • Amazon charges $99 per year for the privilege of listing apps on their market, as opposed to a one time $25 fee for the same on the Android Market. The good news is that Amazon is waiving the fees for the first year. However, this app is a niche product and its too soon to tell if I'll have the sales numbers to make that kind of money every year.
In the mean time, you could side load the app onto the non-market devices. The only down side is that you would not get the Pro features.

Please let me know if that doesn't work.

Thanks.

Tags
aldiko, ebooks, sync