Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
coredump
Enthusiast
coredump began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Linux

So I am getting a 505 for christmas. Do I really need windows installed to transfer stuff to the 505 or can I use Linux?
I don't really want to install Windows just because of that.
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
You don't need windows unless you plan to buy books from the SONY book store (hence DRM books) since they only support Windows and Mac.

You can use calibe an open source program to transfer books to your SONY PRS-505.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
coredump
Enthusiast

And books that I buy on other places that have DRM? Like the ones at baen books.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by coredump View Post
And books that I buy on other places that have DRM? Like the ones at baen books.
Baen books are DRM-free. They have ePub and LRF versions, both of which will work on the Sony.

For DRM-ridden ebooks, it might be possible to download Adobe PDF and ePub ebooks by using Windows Adobe Digital Editions under wine. You would need to authorize your Sony Reader to your AdobeID account one time on a Windows PC.

The alternative is to buy DRMed eReader or MOBI ebooks, both of which work from any web browser, strip their DRM and convert to LRF or ePub using Calibre. For MOBI you would need to provide a PID from a device supporting MOBI DRM. The easiest is probably a Windows PC running MobiPocket Reader. You just need the PID (a 10 character identifier), then everything else works under Linux.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Wallcraft always give solid advice so I'd listen to him.

All I can add is every DRM except for eReader will require you to register with a Windows PC. You capture the information you need like a PID for mobi, ineptkey for Adobe, key from LIT and you can liberate your books.

The one advantage with MOBI is that it is the best supported. And the Kindle for PC works great on Linux under wine. You will be able to also read Mobi books with the Kindle App.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Mobipocket DRM works fine with a linux PC. Devices which use mobipocket DRM have a PID that you can read directly on the device, then you communicate this PID to the stores on which you buy books. No need of windows anywhere in the process.

Back to epub format. I've seen indeed people mention that they can use adobe digital editions with wine under linux. I had trouble doing that in the past, but I just succeeded!

coredump, in case you want to try it, the link to download the installer for digital editions is:

http://www.adobe.com/support/digital...tions1x7x1.exe

and you can find free drm'ed books on board, look on the 'help' link on the left of their home page (I _think_ the book is epub but I'm not sure, but since it opens with digital edition it should be the same kind of drm). When you download the book, only a small file is provided, called 'URLLink.acsm'. Save it and then drag and drop it in digital editions.

EDIT: Turns out the file you can get at books on board is a pdf. It would be nice to be able to find a free drm'ed epub for testing.

Last edited by chlorine; 11-14-2009 at 10:50 AM.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast
Alpha_Cluster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Libre2
If you have a copy of windows laying around you can also just install windows in VirtualBox (make sure to get the personal version since it has USB support) and then install the Sony software or the Adobe software whichever you need. That should work well enough mind you probably a bit slow but hey your just transferring books.
Alpha_Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
coredump
Enthusiast

yes ADE installs on wine, but I can't browse their store

The VM solution was the best. Installed VirtualBox with a XP license and now all that I need is the reader :P
Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Cool!

Now you'll have a hard time waiting for christmas though...
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
coredump
Enthusiast

yeha. I still trying to find a store where I can buy online and ship to a friend of mine who is in Belgium but will be here (brazil) December 15, tho.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by coredump View Post
yeha. I still trying to find a store where I can buy online and ship to a friend of mine who is in Belgium but will be here (brazil) December 15, tho.
You do realize the 505 was discontinued right? Very few stores have it in stock any more.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
coredump
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You do realize the 505 was discontinued right? Very few stores have it in stock any more.

BOb
Yep, that's why it is so hard to find. That doesn't mean that they don't exist and I can settle for an used one with no problems at all

Too bad that Sony insisted in getting a grayish touch screen on the 600.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #13
coredump
Enthusiast

But I must admit that the search is being a little frustrating, and I can end buying one of those Jinke device that are rebranded all over the planet.