Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Screen Frozen

I was just quietly reading when my PRS600 froze! Not taking notes or doing anything fancy. I have tried reset, reset then power slide, reset and power slide, holding both for extraordinary length of time, plugging it in to an active and powered computer... Running out of ideas. The battery shows as fully charged.

Mel

ETA: Never mind after the 400 repeated frantic pushing of the reset button and then the power slide it decided to reset after all. This is the third screen freeze since I got it on Tuesday, however, which is making me somewhat concerned. Previously it only happened when I was using the notetaking eraser function but this time I wasn't doing anything unusual.

Last edited by MelC; 09-14-2009 at 07:37 PM.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
rlaskey
rlaskey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hmm. My red PRS-600 just crashed for the first time tonight. Legitimately scary. Was out for about thirty minutes, and now it seems OK. Hit the reset a bunch, tried hitting the power button a lot. Didn't seem to do anything.

I did try to connect via USB. It showed the USB screen, though it did not connect to my computer. When I disconnected, it went to the home screen, but otherwise it was still in the same problematic state. Nothing could get me back to reading, or to any kind of change in state.

It was only after I tried connecting via USB that I noticed the LED at the top near the power switch was blinking orange. Not sure what this means, or if it was blinking orange before I tried the USB connection. Finally, for whatever reason it just came back to life: rebooting with the initial splash screen (not the home screen), and it seems to be working just fine now. I did hit the reset button again around the time it came back to life, though I'm not convinced this is what did it.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
rlaskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Maybe thats what was up with mine then:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56322

The difference being that it seems to have frozen in sleep mode.

I wouldn't call it a "crash" as mine didn't reboot, it just started working again
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Mine had the blinking orange light too...didn't see any reference in the User Guide to what that means though. Might start a poll as to who has had screen freezes because mine has frozen more than I would think was normal - had two more today.

Mel
Old 09-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Justice Strike
Enthusiast
Justice Strike began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
So what's the remedy? mine just crashed. do i just wait? I'm seriously going to send this unit back. I'm fed up with it :S And, i need to send it back before it gets scratched
Justice Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
MelC
Evangelist

Apparently "blinking orange light" may mean low battery even though the reader is showing a full charge so try charging it for a while and then trying to reboot. For me pressing the reset button two or three times in quick succession and then cycling the power slide worked (but I plugged it in to the computer and it may have received a charge as well so hard to say if my "magical" combination of keys meant anything.

Mel