Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
aingls
aingls began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Question Wifi connection problems with rooted nook color.

Hi everyone. I'm sorta new. I rooted my nook color from 1.0.1. with auto nooter, and then did the clockwork recovery and updated to 1.1.

Here's my problem. Every time my nook goes to sleep with the wifi on, and I wake it up it looses the connection. It'll either say unnsuccessfull, or disconnected. I will try to turn it off and back on with the quick menu, but it won't connect. So I go into the settings, wireless, and then turn off the wifi, and turn it back on. It will connect that way, and stay connected until it sleeps again. It seems like this started when I got a new computer. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything....

Here's what I have tried so far. I have made the nook forget my connection, and then readded it. I have rebooted my nook. I have also changed my security from WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA-PSK [TKIP]. I have updated my router's firmware. I have battery booster on and set it to turn the wifi on after sleeping. Nothing will work!

What am I missing? Is there a fix out there for this or am I going to have to exchange this through my squaretrade warranty? I'm out of ideas, and if anybody has any suggestions I will gladly accept and try it out. Just don't get too technical with me. lol

Thanks for any help! I appreciate it!
aingls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I think it is NOT a physical defect with the Nook, but rather a problem with 1.1. Updates 1.1 and 1.0.1 both included "fixes" for wifi. Unfortunately, it seems that the fixes broke wifi as much as fixed it. There are numerous reports that while 1.1 fixed wifi issues for some, it also created wifi issues for others, including me.

I have found that if I open the full settings menu (not the shortened 4 item settings) and then open wifi - so I could turn wifi on/off, and can the list of all the various hotspots I've connected to; and then I let the Nook sit at the screen for about 20-30 seconds, it will reinitiate wifi connections. this works better than actually toggling on/off.

My wifi at home seems to give more problems than wifi at work - the issue with 1.1 seems to be tied to certain routers, and wpa2 security. You might try changing the security on your home network to wpa instead of wpa2; or even wep and see if that makes a difference. (EDIT: just re-read your post and saw you have tried some of these already)>

I'm hoping that B&N will be releasing another update soon, with android 2.2 (flash!!!!!) and more wifi fixes!

good luck

Jason
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
aingls
aingls began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Thank you for replying! I'll give WEP a try and see if that works, if not, I guess I'll just wait on an update (flash would be awesome!) with some more wifi fixes.
aingls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
mariel9898
Connoisseur
mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.mariel9898 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Color, Droid 2 Global
I have the same problem, but it doesn't really bother me because it's never happened in the middle of me doing something that requires WiFi. It probably saves the battery too.
mariel9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
My problem is different, but similar. I'm still at 1.0.1 and my WiFi has been fine since January. The last week or so, it has slowed to a crawl. Any activity involving the internet goes at a snail's pace and sometimes just times out. This is true for at least 3 different access points and I've speed tested them all with my laptop and found them all solid, so it's definitely the Nook Color. I'm really hesitant to do the 1.1 upgrade because of the pain of getting everything back the way I want it and reports like these that suggest it won't help.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
cfossum
cfossum began at the beginning.

Device: rooted nook Color
my rooted nook is Android 2.3.7 version, I cannot seem to connect to the internet. I get connecting option and then it changes to diconnect back to connecting... Yet No connection ever occurs.
cfossum is offline   Reply With Quote