Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
nook not charging after the device is rooted

Hi All,
So I bit the bullet and decided to root the nook and I'm digging the nook now.

However after playing around with the device I noticed the battery is low. When I plug the device there is no indicator to show the battery is charging. The battery icon stays red. And the battery indicator says "not charging".

Question did something go bad in the root proess, or is it common for the battery indicator to no change?

Also I was able to charge the nook on the first day so I do now charing was doable.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Confirm please that you have the NC USB cable plugged into the wall adapter, and not into the computer. Confirm that it's the exact cable that came with the NC.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The cable that came with the nook was defective. I had to use my black Berry changer (micro USB) to change it the first time.
It's the same changer I'm using this time around.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Grab both the original Nook Color cable, and you Blackberry cable, and compare the length of the (smaller) USB ends, I believe the Nook cable will have a slightly longer end. The blackberry cable will only trickle charge the Nook Color at best, and you will likely never get a charging indicator in that scenario.

You will need a cable made just for the Nook Color to charge it properly.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
The charger I have for my Evo charges the NC fine. They are both microusb so I am confused about your comment Krypto that the nook cable is slightly wider
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

LONGER end. I can check a friends Evo 4G cable at work tomorrow. Clearly not all micro-usb cables are identical.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I have an Evo cord and it does not charge my NC. Have tried it with the NC adapter and another power adapter I usually use. I've tried a number of other micro usb cords with short or long ends and they don't work to charge.

I can use the NC cord on another adapter and that will charge, as well as the original adapter. When you connect it, the battery symbol shows when you plug it in, and when you got to settings/device info, it shows Charging.

When the Evo cord is used or another micro USB cordis used, the battery symbol does not show and when you go to settings/device info it shows Not Charging. I imagine that is a trickle charge because it very slowly goes up. When you unplug anything, it says Discharging.

So, as far as I can tell, the NC cord is the only thing that actually says Charging, and anything else is a trickle charge.

Some of my short micro ends also seem to trickle charge - at least it says Not Charging instead of Discharging.

I've gone through a lot of cords and adapters, as well as battery packs that charge with a USB cord. Been trying to find an alternative for when I travel because almost everything else is down to a retractable cord with different tips for and one power adapter. As well as battery packs. I hate filling 1/2 my suitcase with cords and adapters. I think the NC will be the one exception. For now. Hopefully someone comes out with something that works for travelling.

Last edited by NoName; 12-28-2010 at 10:00 PM.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh ok well the length really doesnt matter, but the diameter of the wire and the output of the wall wart aka dc inverter do. Im not sure what my evo charger does, but I think its 2 amps. The ipad suffered from a similiar issue, whereas it only trickles from the computer and needed its own outlet to charge faster
Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Oh ok well the length really doesnt matter...
Sure sure ...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Sure sure ...

well the girth does matter
Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

You mean that was by design? I thought the extra length was a manufacturing defect.

Why would they use a standard and modify it slightly that is very frustrating.

thanks I think you solved my problem
Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
$$$$$$$$$
(see post #14)

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 12-29-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
You mean that was by design? I thought the extra length was a manufacturing defect.

thanks I think you solved my problem
A standard micro USB cable only transmits the maximum you would expect from a USB port - that's .5 amps.

The Nook charger is 1.8amps.

They used a few extra pins from the look of it, to add the extra amperage. Going standard micro USB would probably have only given them a bit more than .5 amps, since the connectors were only designed for that. I'd bet you couldn't push more than maybe 1 amp through it.

Thus the proprietary cable and extra pins. But at least a standard cable will charge it - just a lot slower. I think it's a pretty good design.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #14
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

It seems like they could have achieved this with any standard micro-USB cable, up to and including 1.8 amps. Now that we're starting to see the emergence of devices with high powered USB ports, it sure is a bummer to have to use (yet another) proprietary cable.

I'm afraid my comment above was wrong. Greenmonkey had it right, it would seem to be a fairly intelligent cable design based on the limitations.

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 12-29-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #15
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
It seems like they could have achieved this with any standard micro-USB cable, up to and including 1.8 amps. Now that we're starting to see the emergence of devices with high powered USB ports, it sure is a bummer to have to use (yet another) proprietary cable.

I'm afraid my comment above was wrong. Greenmonkey had it right, it would seem to be a fairly intelligent cable design based on the limitations.
Yeah. I hate proprietary cables myself. But at least this way, you can charge with standard micro-b USB in a pinch or if you lose your cable.

It must have something to do with charging speed. Because I think you can push more than the .5 amps through a standard USB cable (look at double-ended USB cables for portable HDDs....2 .5a usb cables -> one micro usb for a total of 1a), but maybe the extra pins are to help deliver that extra amperage effectively to the Nook battery.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 12-29-2010 at 03:57 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote