Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
prophetik
prophetik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Errno 13: permission denied errors

i am using the newest version of calibre with my prs-600 sony reader touch. i'm on windows 7 pro, on a customized computer built by me. i've run this under administrator and normally. i'm the admin of the computer.

here's the error i'm getting when sending ebooks to the Sandisk 2gb SD (not HC) card in my sony reader:

(13, 'Permission denied')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 56, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 243, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 137, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\cli.py", line 52, in put_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'J:\\[titleofmybook] - [authorofmybook].epub'

i inserted the [] marks around the fake title and author of my book.

i can load books onto the internal memory of the reader, but it's atrociously slow (3'30" for four books, 2mb total). not to mention it won't fit everything i've got.

i was able to load stuff onto both the internal memory, this sd card, and another 2gb microsd in a converter yesterday on .51, but this error started popping up. i switched to .52 and now it's still affecting me. can't do anything.

any suggestions?
prophetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Lets just eliminate the very obvious first

Did you check to make sure you didn't accidentally hit the lock thing on the side of the SD card?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
prophetik

of course =) i've also tried restarting the reader several times, as well as my computer.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetik View Post
of course =) i've also tried restarting the reader several times, as well as my computer.
Reformat the SD card as FAT32 and your problem will disappear.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
prophetik

if that's all it takes, i'll be really happy and crying at the same time in a few minutes. let me test.
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
if that's all it takes, i'll be really happy and crying at the same time in a few minutes. let me test.
It looks like I talked too soon. Every case of this error folks stop working on it and don't report back the solution.

How do you restart a 600? I would shut it down then turn it on again. If there is more of a hard reset I would try that next. Book transfers to internal memory should be quick.

Good Luck.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
prophetik

i've loaded over a hundred small ebooks onto my reader in a tenth of the time. i'm trying a swatch of 315 or so now.

it appears that this fixed transfers to the SD card. dunno why the normal memory's going as slow as it is. i'll check that once this megatransfer is done.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
prophetik

i can't transfer 300. but in batches of 30, we're good, at about 5 minutes a pop.

edit: 35 works, but 38 doesn't =)
Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
i can't transfer 300. but in batches of 30, we're good, at about 5 minutes a pop.

edit: 35 works, but 38 doesn't =)
What error do you get with 38?

I'm just hoping you get enough info that Kovid might be able to diagnose the problem.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #10
prophetik

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 56, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 243, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 137, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\cli.py", line 60, in put_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

above is the error i get with more than around 35 books. i don't get it until around 97% completion, either =(

also, transfers seem to be slowing down again. still shipping to the SD card.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
prophetik

looks like the errors are being caused by the size of the bulk transfer - six large (10+ mb) ebooks failed, after lots of 25-30 ebook transfers (around .5mb each) went through.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This kind of thing is most likely caused by hardware problems. A faulty USB connection that fails when stressed. I'm afraid you'll just have to transfer in smaller batches. Annoying, but...
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
prophetik

doubt it's my computer. like i said, it's a custom-built design - and i'm a musician, so the USB port that i'm using for this is often used when recording 12-14 48khz tracks through my USB audio interface. no issues there =)