Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
FBReader/CoolReader Confusion

I think I need some clarification. Are FBReader and Coolreader just two separate ebook reading applications that OpenInkpot has in the past (and may again in the future) offer as disparate options for OI users? And may someone venture to offer me in a "nutshell" appraisal the primary differences between the two, if my assumption is correct that they comprise totally separate options? And even why one may be either objectively or subjectively preferable for use over the other?
Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Yes, FBReader and CoolReader are two distinct ebook reading apps. They were both available in OpenInkPot at one time, with the option of using either one for ebook formats that supported both. At present, I think only FBReader is available (and it was always the default reader).

CoolReader is what the standard Hanlin firmware uses for FB2, and perhaps for some other formats - particularly in the Lbook firmware which is more custom than most.

The two are different, CoolReader supports tables which FBReader does not for example.
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, FBReader and CoolReader are two distinct ebook reading apps. They were both available in OpenInkPot at one time, with the option of using either one for ebook formats that supported both. At present, I think only FBReader is available (and it was always the default reader).

CoolReader is what the standard Hanlin firmware uses for FB2, and perhaps for some other formats - particularly in the Lbook firmware which is more custom than most.

The two are different, CoolReader supports tables which FBReader does not for example.
Wallcraft: Many thanks. Succinct and informative.