Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Codex Sinaiticus as an E-Book

The world's oldest Bible has just been digitized...it's over 1600 years old! Does anyone know of a place where the entire text can be downloaded for perusal in e-book? So far I've found this site...

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
service unavailable
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Probably been brought down by all the publicity, as often happens. Made the BBC News here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do the not realize that something like this WILL cause an influx of traffic? They should have had 2-3 mirrors in place.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
The world's oldest Bible has just been digitized...it's over 1600 years old! Does anyone know of a place where the entire text can be downloaded for perusal in e-book? So far I've found this site...

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org
Either a very strange coincidence or you were watching the NatGeo special on this last night ;-)

I had never heard of the book until last night but found the story pretty fascinating. Though I do have to admit that my whole family burst out laughing when they introduced the one guy as a "Devil Expert". That title has to raise a few eyebrows when you go to give someone your business card.
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
Either a very strange coincidence or you were watching the NatGeo special on this last night ;-)

I had never heard of the book until last night but found the story pretty fascinating.
There are 3 Bible versions dating back to that period. When your Bible has a footnote that something is not in, or different, in some of the oldest manuscripts this is one of the 3 Bibles they are referring to. The Vatican has one of the other versions of similar age to this one.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Though I do have to admit that my whole family burst out laughing when they introduced the one guy as a "Devil Expert".
Hey, I think one of my father's cousins calls himself that
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
service unavailable
I think it's intermittent. The viewing page has some very complex coding; it's a resource drain, and sometimes freezes up entirely.

There's the image, the original text, and an English translation (for parts, anyway). There is no "download the images/PDF/text files" option. It's a page-by-page viewer with data on the side.

Looks like a wonderful resource; I just wish they'd found a way to make it portable.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I think it's intermittent. The viewing page has some very complex coding; it's a resource drain, and sometimes freezes up entirely.

There's the image, the original text, and an English translation (for parts, anyway). There is no "download the images/PDF/text files" option. It's a page-by-page viewer with data on the side.

Looks like a wonderful resource; I just wish they'd found a way to make it portable.
Considering the original book weighed 167 pounds, I'm pretty sure the would consider this to be "portable" :-)
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:

So, it's not a true EBOOK.. just an online reference?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calling it "just" an online reference is a little hard on what will be an extremely valuable online research tool. That is its purpose - it was never intended to be an "eBook".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Calling it "just" an online reference is a little hard on what will be an extremely valuable online research tool. That is its purpose - it was never intended to be an "eBook".
Oh, i agree that this is a great thing. and very valuable, esp to those in the religious field, such as priests, pastors, and other Biblical scholars and historians.

However, the websites, as well as this thread title, are touting it as an 'ebook', which, to me, implies that I can download it and store it in my reader.

However great and valuable an asset this online document proves to be, it is still an online reference, and not an ebook. That was my only point.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Considering the original book weighed 167 pounds, I'm pretty sure the would consider this to be "portable" :-)
This is accessible (and a wonderful thing that is), and while I suppose a laptop with web access is more portable than the original, it'd be nice if they either made the images & translations available, or combined the whole thing into a program, the way that Celestia is.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
This is accessible (and a wonderful thing that is), and while I suppose a laptop with web access is more portable than the original, it'd be nice if they either made the images & translations available, or combined the whole thing into a program, the way that Celestia is.
Almost of the modern translations have consulted this and the other two ancient manuscripts and incorporated them into their documents. Will all the fuss for eBooks of this document how many of you can really read 4th century Greek? (not modern Greek) This is not a book to read, it is a manuscript to study if you have the background to do it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Still slow... but accessible now. For a work such as this, I think this is not the worst way of presenting it. It couldn't work without high quality images of the pages, and that would not work very well on the average e-ink screen reader device. I'm sure that the access issue will work itself out in a few days, when the news interest dies down. I think the Europeana suffered from the same kind of news interest - at least to some degree.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote