Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
What does the future Hold

What will the next year bring for the Reader community?

Will we see an updated better looking Kindle?

A Mac friendly Sony?

A WI-FI enabled Cybook?

Apple entering the market?

Let here the opinions.
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Browser ... online. Topic ... loaded. Tinfoil hat .. reading green and ready. Speculation ... engage!

Anyway. More serious.

I suspect the first half of 2008 will not see much eInk activity in regards to new products. We may see several community or software improvements over the next months though. I hope so.

In the second half of 2008 I hope the software and hardware for current readers will be maturing and become more solid in use, support and pricing. I also suspect eInk prices will gradually lower.

2008 should see at least several new products though and I think connected readers along with connection-aware shops will see a rise.

Fictionwise will almost certainly improve integration of their existing catalog with their newest MobiPocket aquisition and perhaps make some online API for searching/buying akin to Amazon. Would be smart of them.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan View Post
Fictionwise will almost certainly improve integration of their existing catalog with their newest MobiPocket aquisition
I believe you mean eReader acquisition...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
This also might be of interest.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/16/s...paper-display/
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Ooooh sexy. But it's so thin, I'd be afraid of breaking it. Also, at that resolution, it's a shame the screen isn't bigger (A4 PDFs anyone?).
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan View Post
Browser ... online. Topic ... loaded. Tinfoil hat .. reading green and ready. Speculation ... engage!

Anyway. More serious.

I suspect the first half of 2008 will not see much eInk activity in regards to new products. We may see several community or software improvements over the next months though. I hope so.

In the second half of 2008 I hope the software and hardware for current readers will be maturing and become more solid in use, support and pricing. I also suspect eInk prices will gradually lower.

2008 should see at least several new products though and I think connected readers along with connection-aware shops will see a rise.

Fictionwise will almost certainly improve integration of their existing catalog with their newest MobiPocket aquisition and perhaps make some online API for searching/buying akin to Amazon. Would be smart of them.
Ah, future speculation. I agree that the first half won't ship much but perhaps we'll see some announcements.

I think e-INK backlogs will finally clear. Second half of the year will see a 9.7" display device. I think Amazon or Sony may finally role out to other markets. Amazon will need a wireless change but I doubt that there will be other changes.

Fictionwise, of course bought eReader and I suspect they may do something special with it like getting it on an eBook Reader.

I suspect Adobe will be more active in getting reflow PDF out on eBook Readers. While this won't solve all the PDF problems it will help. I also expect better PDF support from several eBook Readers.

I think we will see a better lighting solution for e-INK (possibly side light).

I think we will see more activity in ePUB among the major players.

There, now that I am out on a limb, anybody got a saw?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #7
transman
transman began at the beginning.

Device: Plastic Logic Dossier
I've been pinning all my hopes on the coming reader from plasticlogic.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10307

Been waiting for an A4 reader for 5 years now and this seems to be the most promising one within my price range. Even if it does not turn out as expected a large number of companies are working on this technology and I would expect it to achieve market viability within the next 3 years. Sadly I don't expect anyone come up within anything this year.
transman is offline   Reply With Quote