Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
Kindle Touch Software Update 5.0.3: Backward Swipes

I just updated the Kindle touch to software version 5.0.3 and experienced a swap in swipe direction. Swiping to left now advances the page and to the right now takes me back a page.
Is anyone aware of any positive improvements?
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Mine's 5.0.3 and page turns are the same as always. Right to left = page forward and left to right = page back.

Page turns do appear to be a bit quicker.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10522 View Post
I just updated the Kindle touch to software version 5.0.3 and experienced a swap in swipe direction. Swiping to left now advances the page and to the right now takes me back a page.
Is anyone aware of any positive improvements?
I think your memory must be playing tricks on you; swiping to the left always has advanced a page. It's the direction you'd turn the page over in a paper book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
You are correct Harry, just a mind lapse. Makes sense going from right to left.
Now if I could find someway of disabling the left hand strip for "go back" it would make navigation a lot easier. Don´t like moving the thumb an inch over to advance pages.
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've noticed that swiping up takes me to the next section, and swiping down takes me to the previous section. I assume this is based on the table of contents, and that swiping up would take me to the next chapter, and swiping down would take me to the previous chapter. As it is, I'm reading Leaves of Grass, and have noted that swiping up takes me to the beginning of the next poem, while swiping down takes me to the beginning of the one I'm reading. Swiping right or left turns the page in that direction, of course.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've noticed that swiping up takes me to the next section, and swiping down takes me to the previous section. I assume this is based on the table of contents, and that swiping up would take me to the next chapter, and swiping down would take me to the previous chapter. As it is, I'm reading Leaves of Grass, and have noted that swiping up takes me to the beginning of the next poem, while swiping down takes me to the beginning of the one I'm reading. Swiping right or left turns the page in that direction, of course.
The Up/Down swipes work just like skipping back/forward by chapter marks on earlier Kindles.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Up/Down swipes work just like skipping back/forward by chapter marks on earlier Kindles.
Not entirely. Previous Kindles (I don't know about K4) would (normally) only visit 'top level' nav points defined in the NCX with the 5way. Kindle Touch visits all of the nav points, regardless of 'level'. I like it!

Publishers were advised to 'flatten' their NCX hierarchy as part of converting ePub files. But many ignore that advice, rendering their books less navigable than they might be on Kindle. But on KT it no longer matters if they do or don't.

I hope (probably in vain) that Amazon adds an NCX navigator as part of KF8 upgrade. Kindle Previewer has always had one and it is much better than using the hyperlinked TOC that we're otherwise stuck with.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #8
leo2ber
leo2ber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello

Hello everybody!
leo2ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
leo2ber
leo2ber began at the beginning.

I'll be happy to have chance to change font in kindle touch: Latin, Greek, Cyrillic typefaces are good but my native Georgian letters are great disaster
leo2ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please don't "hijack" another thread to ask an unrelated question. Click the "New Thread" button at the top of the screen to create a new thread.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #11
tarick06
tarick06 began at the beginning.

I upgraded to 5.0.3 and my battery was almost fully charged. I left my device in sleep mode and next morning when I opened device the charge was half. Wireless was turned off. Then I charged it fully to re-test. I havent use the device just opened and closed for looking battery. It is always decreasing. In one day it came to again half. I haven't experienced this problem before upgrading 5.0.3 version. Do you have the same problem and what might be the possible sollution?
tarick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The most likely cause of this is stuck indexing. Check to see if any books are awaiting indexing. If they are, delete them and re-add them.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
tarick06
tarick06 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The most likely cause of this is stuck indexing. Check to see if any books are awaiting indexing. If they are, delete them and re-add them.
How can I check indexing waiting books?
tarick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarick06 View Post
How can I check indexing waiting books?
From the home screen, do a search for a non-existent string (eg "aaaaaaaaa"). If the search results page says something like "5 books not yet indexed", that's the problem. If you tap on the link that shows you the number of books not indexed, you'll get another screen showing you which books they are.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Good tip, Harry, thanks. I didn't know that, either. I just checked and all mine are fine. I also noticed a big battery drain immediately after the overnight update, but battery use seems to be fine now. Perhaps the update required re-indexing all the books.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote