Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
batman52
batman52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia5530 DingooA320
prs350 vs prs600

Hi all,
I think it's finally coming for me the time to buy my first ebook reader (i've been long dreaming about it, well before actual readers came out), because they are getting in the price range right to my pockets.

I have tons of books randomly collected from the internet in formats that vary from plain text to the old .lit, and of course gazillions of .pdf(s). Some are university textbooks, technical papers, but also novels and other stuff.

I'm a tech geek (I suppose, but not really sure) so I've been using my cheap chinese console, and my nokia 5530 with ZXreader (which by the way advise you) by applying every dirty conversion possible to be able to have decent reading experience.

I work all day with the pc, so the eyestrain IS a problem to me when I get home, therefore i like eInk, but don't want to spend too much since... you know I'm not rich at all.

Since I think good pdf reading is mandatory to me, I'd go for sony readers because of reflowing capabilities, and pan/zoom with the touch screen which seems to be much more convenient than other solutions.

From the sony store my choice is between a refurbished pr600, and a new prs350, since I could get either one or the other for 170€ (BTW it's a shame that from sonystyle you can get the refurbished prs600 for 120$ just inside USA, which makes a BIG price difference). They seem to be very similar devices with comparable capabilities. The only known difference to me is the display, and since I have never seen a 350 live I cannot judge which woud be better to me.

What do you advice me guys?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by batman52; 11-09-2010 at 06:10 PM.
batman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, batman52

I'll let the Sony experts take over from here......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't bother with the 600. I recommend going with the 650. once you see the 350 or 650, you won't want a 600.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Absolutely go with the 350. The difference in screen quality is amazing. The reflow for PDFs works if the PDF is text only and searchable (not an image).

Also, I'd recommend Calibre software to manage your library. It's free, it's powerful, it's well supported by lots of developers, and can turn old lit, pdb, rtf, txt, etc. files into better formatted ePubs. Nothing can work magic on a PDF where the text is images. A horribly formatted book will continue to be horribly formatted until you put some effort into fixing it, but Calibre can sometimes convert books into something more readable.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
The 350 wins, hands down. I replaced my 600 with a 350 and I am absolutely in love with the device. The screen is gorgeous. The touch screen works much much better, and without any glare. The smaller screen is not a problem at all, at least for my eyes, and the added portability is most welcome. Finally, the foreign language dictionaries turned out to be a very nice advantage. Although I read only in English the kinds of books I like tend to have a lot of foreign words, and the dictionaries come in quite handy.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
PRS-350, but if you want the six inch screen instead, then the PRS-650. These have the new Pearl e-ink screen, which is better than the 600's screen.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
batman52
batman52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia5530 DingooA320
Thank you guys!... thumbs up for the 350 then!
batman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
350 is so much better...
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
350 is so much better...
Why? It has less features and it's smaller.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #10
raphaelnonsenso
Enthusiast
raphaelnonsenso doesn't litterraphaelnonsenso doesn't litter

Device: Sony Touch, K3
Had the PRS-600, have just replaced it with the Kindle 3. Twice as good
raphaelnonsenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
Why? It has less features and it's smaller.
Smaller is sometimes good. The 1" difference does count when taking the ereader out and about.

As for the features, there is one I don't care for at all (MP3 support), and the other (SD card slot) would be nice but I'm not bothered by its lack.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just a head's up - Dell.com has the PRS-350 on sale for $129.00:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...g:NextStep,rk:
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just a head's up - Dell.com has the PRS-350 on sale for $129.00:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...g:NextStep,rk:
Wow! I'd jump on this in a heartbeat if I could.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Don't forget the slight glare issue of the PRS600 which Sony fixed with the PRS650. So if you want a clearer screen with new technology and you think the PRS650 is too expensive then buy the PRS350!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #15
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
i second that, the glare issue with the 600 is truly appalling compared with even the 505.
having that touch screen ruins an otherwise useful device, they should have spent the extra $8 and used a capacitative screen fused to the panel.
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony prs350 prs600