Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
The word liseuse being used outside of MobileRead?

Are there any real life examples of the word liseuse being used outside of MobileRead in any English language publications (i.e. books, magazines, television, etc.) yet?
If not, are any MobileRead fans of the word willing to put the word on the line as it were?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd love an example of an e-book that has the word liseuse in it - we get enough authors on MobileRead; could one of them please step up to the challenge of putting the word liseuse in a book or e-book?..
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Are there any real life examples of the word liseuse being used outside of MobileRead in any English language publications (i.e. books, magazines, television, etc.) yet?
I doubt that you will find it, and you shouldn't. Using a new, made-up word (that usage is "made up" in English even if it does happen to be valid in French) that will need to be explained after using when there already is a widely used, perfectly acceptable, easy to understand term is called bad journalism. One writes to communicate with their audience, not to confuse them. Any halfway decent copy editor would tell them to change it.

"Never use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice."
-- by unknown

Last edited by ardeegee; 06-16-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard

Words can be introduced to an audience, you know!
The challenge still stands..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I doubt that you will find it, and you shouldn't. Using a new, made-up word (that usage is "made up" in English even if it does happen to be valid in French) that will need to be explained after using when there already is a widely used, perfectly acceptable, easy to understand term is called bad journalism. One writes to communicate with their audience, not to confuse them. Any halfway decent copy editor would tell them to change it.

-- by unknown
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Oh, of course people can attempt to bloom words. But, really, how often does a more complex, oddly spelled (from an English perspective) word ever replace a simple word that is already established and that uses established naming conventions (it is a very short step from e-mail to e-book)?
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
If not, are any MobileRead fans of the word willing to put the word on the line as it were?
Never seen any sign of the word (thankfully). And I wouldn't even mention it under gunpoint...
Old 06-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I loath this word personally. Unless you're French, I can see no conceivable reason for wanting to use it. Let's hope that it dies the death that it so richly deserves.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-17-2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-17-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post

-- by unknown
If we had to follow the rules of so-called journalism the English language would only be fit for teenagers and people who wear lobster bibs at the breakfast table. I'll use whatever words I like in whatever fashion I see fit in whatever context I deem necessary. Liseuse is a perfectly cromulant word in my book and I'm not giving it up because it's too hard for some people to learn something odd or different. Sod those people. Let them eat nouns!

Liseuse or death!!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #9
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
If we had to follow the rules of so-called journalism the English language would only be fit for teenagers and people who wear lobster bibs at the breakfast table. I'll use whatever words I like in whatever fashion I see fit in whatever context I deem necessary. Liseuse is a perfectly cromulant word in my book and I'm not giving it up because it's too hard for some people to learn something odd or different. Sod those people. Let them eat nouns!

Liseuse or death!!
Hear, hear!

I quite like Liseuse, and I find it less cumbersome than "e-book reader".
Old 06-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I just say "book"... is even easier.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #11
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
It does make me think of this

rather than this

So, if for no other reason, I think its use should be encouraged.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #12
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
A while back it seemed like quite few people here at MR were using it at every available opportunity. However there was also quite a backlash since an equally sizeable group of people disliked it (me included). Now I rarely seem to see it used even here. And If you can't get it accepted here you stand zero chance of it making it out into common usage.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

I hope not. I hate that silly word.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I loath this word personally. Unless you're French, I can see no conceivable reason for wanting to use it. Let's hope that it dies the death that it so richly deserves.
ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post

Liseuse or death!!
whatever floats your boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Hear, hear!

I quite like Liseuse, and I find it less cumbersome than "e-book reader".
what's wrong with ereader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I hope not. I hate that silly word.
like that
Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 AM   #15
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
for some reason the look of the word makes me feel a tiny bit angry - no idea why.......
Closed Thread