Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Selling eBooks - Non-US Publisher's Options

What are a non-US publisher's (or self-publisher's) options with regards to selling eBooks?

The Kindle store is closed to us, short of us being willing to go through a ludicrous number of hoops to provide Amazon with a US address, a US bank account, and US tax documents.

Mobipocket.com is an option that, despite the format limitation, reaches reasonably far through their partner websites.

What other options are there?

Thanks in advance!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
there is always self-publishing, via your own website or through sites like smashwords (paid or free content) and feedbooks (currently free only but paid is planned, i believe).

i think it's possible to get distribution via fictionwise for independent authors but i am not sure how that works ; i'm sure some more knowledgeable people will be able to answer that question.

mobipocket gives you access to their partner sites but if i understand correctly they also impose their drm scheme (which is costly). and depending on which audience you want to reach, it's not the optimal format. in europe epub is rapidly gaining predominance, so to ensure you can be read by everyone you should make both formats available.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Zelda. I will check out both of those websites.

To be clear, what I am most interested in is having other companies selling my eBooks, whatever the other details may be... in part because I do not want the hassle of having to handle payments through my website, particularly as my list of books will not be sizable in the foreseeable future.

Whether the model is publishing or self-publishing is--assuming the percentage I get to keep is not outrageously low--a minor enough detail.

I agree with you that mobipocket in and of itself is not sufficient. Are there places that specialize in selling .lit or .ePub files the same way mobipocket sells its own format (i.e.: with a reasonably broad list of distribution partners)?

Am I correct in guessing that ADE requires rather expensive software purchase to be able to add books to the ADE library list?

- Ahi
Old 06-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Thanks, Zelda. I will check out both of those websites.

To be clear, what I am most interested in is having other companies selling my eBooks, whatever the other details may be... in part because I do not want the hassle of having to handle payments through my website, particularly as my list of books will not be sizable in the foreseeable future.

Whether the model is publishing or self-publishing is--assuming the percentage I get to keep is not outrageously low--a minor enough detail.
i think you should definitely take a look at smashwords, in that case. and there might be other similar sites (i'm not sure).

Quote:
I agree with you that mobipocket in and of itself is not sufficient. Are there places that specialize in selling .lit or .ePub files the same way mobipocket sells its own format (i.e.: with a reasonably broad list of distribution partners)?

Am I correct in guessing that ADE requires rather expensive software purchase to be able to add books to the ADE library list?

- Ahi
i honestly don't know the answers to these questions. for ADE, are you talking about their drm scheme ? i can tell you that drm *is* very expensive ; i believe the licence to create drm-ed books using adobe's adept system costs 10,000$ (and probably a pourcentage of whatever sales you have, for each time the server is accessed). yet another reason to avoid drm.

you might get some more pertinent replies in the writers' forum ; would you like me to move this thread there ?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Have you considered paypal as a method of payment?

P.S. Oh, but m-dashes...
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you might get some more pertinent replies in the writers' forum ; would you like me to move this thread there ?
Thanks, that's probably a good idea!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Have you considered paypal as a method of payment?

P.S. Oh, but m-dashes...
I have, but I have heard enough horror stories that I'd feel comfortable with another alternative if I ultimately did decide to take the plunge.

Is there one that is available for non-US use?

- Ahi
Old 06-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Thanks, that's probably a good idea!
done.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Fictionwise partners with publishers who can provide 25 or more titles by at least five different established, professional authors. I have no idea if they deal with books that have never been in paper form.

They have both DRM'd and non-DRM ebooks, and the non-DRM ones are available in several different formats.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Fictionwise partners with publishers who can provide 25 or more titles by at least five different established, professional authors. I have no idea if they deal with books that have never been in paper form.

They have both DRM'd and non-DRM ebooks, and the non-DRM ones are available in several different formats.
I do not have 25 titles yet, and the titles I want to add are--with few exceptions--not from professional authors. Public Domain books (restored to a higher quality than is most widely available) for the most part. Possibly other stuff down the road, ranging from folktales to foreign language books.

I think Mobipocket would get my books into fictionwise's list too though, no?

- Ahi
Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
for ADE, are you talking about their drm scheme ? i can tell you that drm *is* very expensive ; i believe the licence to create drm-ed books using adobe's adept system costs 10,000$ (and probably a pourcentage of whatever sales you have, for each time the server is accessed).
Basically I was inquiring whether I was correct in assuming that the cheapest way to get my books into the ADE store/format involved an initial multi-$1000 outlay of money. Which, it sounds like, you also think it does.

- Ahi
Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Basically I was inquiring whether I was correct in assuming that the cheapest way to get my books into the ADE store/format involved an initial multi-$1000 outlay of money. Which, it sounds like, you also think it does.

- Ahi
hm, well, i am not sure ; which ADE store are you talking about ? as for the format, you can make epub books yourself (that is the ADE format) with no drm, for free. it is using adobe's "adept" drm that costs 10,000$. but i don't know any more than that...
Old 06-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
Smashwords
Connoisseur
Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Smashwords info

Hi Zelda and Ahi.

Here's a handy link of information on how to publish at Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/about/how_..._on_smashwords

Ahi, I should add that we generally discourage folks from publishing public domain works, unless they're the original author of the work.

Best,
Mark
Smashwords is offline   Reply With Quote