Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Screensaver size and file type for Kindle3??

I wanted to download some screensavers for my Kindle. I did so and loaded them onto my Kindle. Of course, I thought they were already optimized for the Kindle, since they were labeled as "Kindle screensavers," so I didn't check them out or rescale them.... Needless to say, the files are tiny and are stuck in the middle of the screen, taking up about 1/2" by 1" on the screen.

I tried to rescale them (using Gimp - I don't have Photoshop or any other more sophisticated (and expensive) program) to 600X800 and then to 400X600, but the pictures (on my computer) just look bigger and blurrier. I haven't downloaded them to my Kindle - I don't imagine they will look any better there!

What am I doing wrong, or is the source file just too small to scale correctly? Also, they were .png files; do they need to be a different format, such as .jpg, instead?

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
600x800, grayscale PNG are usually the best (for a non-DX device, 824x1200 for the DX). (I usually manually dither down to 16 shades of grey before switching back to greyscale, though).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
600x800, grayscale PNG are usually the best (for a non-DX device, 824x1200 for the DX). (I usually manually dither down to 16 shades of grey before switching back to greyscale, though).
Thank you NiLuJe - and thank you for your jailbreak hack! I wasn't really planning to jailbreak my Kindle until I read that I might not be able to after the 3.0.3 firmware update. You know, as sung by Joni Mitchel, "you don't know what you've got until it's gone." Of course, I am sure you'll figure out how to hack the new firmware, too, but I didn't want to take the chance.

So both the size and file type I was trying to use are correct. Why doesn't it look right when I rescale it? Guess I need to experiment some more.

Holly
Old 10-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Thank you NiLuJe - and thank you for your jailbreak hack! I wasn't really planning to jailbreak my Kindle until I read that I might not be able to after the 3.0.3 firmware update. You know, as sung by Joni Mitchel, "you don't know what you've got until it's gone." Of course, I am sure you'll figure out how to hack the new firmware, too, but I didn't want to take the chance.

So both the size and file type I was trying to use are correct. Why doesn't it look right when I rescale it? Guess I need to experiment some more.

Holly
Where did you get the images? They sound like they are too small. It's better to scale down than up to get a good looking image..
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the source is really small, upscaling it will probably make it look blurry/pixellated. (Check the scaling algorithm used by the GIMP, it should be Sinc (Lanczos3), like on my snapshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gimp_scaling_alg.png
Views:	523
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	59963  
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Where did you get the images? They sound like they are too small. It's better to scale down than up to get a good looking image..
I thought the problem was that the source files were too small, but was hoping that maybe I was doing something wrong. I know next to nothing about editing pictures, after all.

I got the image files from Photobucket from someone on Kindleboards who posted them there. Here is the link: http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...0Screensavers/

I really like quite a few of the images, but they seem to be all 120×160, which is why they don't scale up nicely. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Quote:
If the source is really small, upscaling it will probably make it look blurry/pixellated. (Check the scaling algorithm used by the GIMP, it should be Sinc (Lanczos3), like on my snapshot).
Yup, the source files are apparently too small. I didn't change the algorithm; checked out a rescaled picture using your recommended Sinc algorithm - it didn't make any difference that I could see, but then, the source file is too small, so....

So, I am off to find some larger images that, hopefully, can be scaled down.

Holly
Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'm not that familiar with photobucket, but there should be a link to download the full size image somewhere when displaying a specific image, I think that's the issue here, you're using the thumbnails, not the full image .
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Looking at the link you supplied, I'm wondering if you've been working with the thumbnails of the images instead of the actual images themselves because they seem big enough to me. Click on the thumbnail to be taken to the larger image.

BTW, thanks for the link, some are really cool!

Edit: I see NiLuJe and I were on the same track!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with photobucket, but there should be a link to download the full size image somewhere when displaying a specific image, I think that's the issue here, you're using the thumbnails, not the full image .
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Looking at the link you supplied, I'm wondering if you've been working with the thumbnails of the images instead of the actual images themselves because they seem big enough to me. Click on the thumbnail to be taken to the larger image.

BTW, thanks for the link, some are really cool!
Oh my god, I am an absolute idiot!! Of course you need to click on them to get the "real" image of a proper size. I just blithely went through downloading the thumbnails.

It must be time to drink some beer so I can do this right.

Thank you so much, both of you. And daffy4u, glad you like some of the pictures; I certainly did.

Holly
Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
While I just asked this elsewhere - are screensavers shown in alpha-numeric order by filename? I saw in the screensaver hack thread that you could do something to make them display randomly but otherwise are they shown in alpha-numeric order? I've placed my photos in there with names of place or image.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

They are. (And they still are with the hack, the random feature just randomize said filenames at boot).