Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
mazer
Book Enthusiast
mazer doesn't littermazer doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite
Thumbs up Short Video Tutorial on Any Font/Size for JBL

I went ahead and posted a 5 minute video on how you can get your eBooks setup to look the way you want so that they are perfectly viewable on the jetBook Lite. You can choose any font at any size.

The resulting pdf file is perfectly readable and requires no scrolling.

When using open office, you will see exactly what will appear on the jetBook screen with just a few simple tweaks.

Thanks to Ron46 from the forums here for cluing me into what could be done with open office.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1aoqsHUQeM

Thanks to capidamonte for the following, highly useful information:

Quote:
Note that a lot of PG texts have formatting such as *bold* and _underline_, etc.

If you briefly turn the text to HTML first, replace such tags with simple <b> and <u>, etc. tags then import to OpenOffice, you will also get nice formatting in addition to your normal font choices.

I believe that there are several Gutenberg to HTML scripts and utilities to do it for you. (GutenMark?)

Then you will have your chosen font, layouts and possibly TOC, etc.

PG also offers HTML, too, for many works.
Thank you for that! I had noticed those formatting marks and was wondering about an easy way to fix them.

Last edited by mazer; 06-08-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: credit and new information
mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Nice video!
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Great work, Mazer -- and nice video too.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Good one! Thanks for the tutorial! I should try it out with my MS Word later.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
Mazer,

Thanks for the video. The end product looks very professional. But I'm not sure why you don't just read the book in raw .txt format? Does the font look that much better with a PDF? I don't have a Jetbook, so I can't compare PDF vs text fonts. In any case, nice job.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
wow, that is an awesome video!

def will try this out at home
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
... But I'm not sure why you don't just read the book in raw .txt format? Does the font look that much better with a PDF? I don't have a Jetbook, so I can't compare PDF vs text fonts. In any case, nice job.
We "poor" jetBook owners can only choose between Arial and Verdana fonts for txt files, so coverting to PDF gives us a chance to have *any* font we like. Mazer has done us a great service showing how easy it is to format the books to one's desires and still have it easy to use on the jetBook (or Lite).
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Note that a lot of PG texts have formatting such as *bold* and _underline_, etc.

If you briefly turn the text to HTML first, replace such tags with simple <b> and <u>, etc. tags then import to OpenOffice, you will also get nice formatting in addition to your normal font choices.

I believe that there are several Gutenberg to HTML scripts and utilities to do it for you. (GutenMark?)

capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post

[...]

PG now often offeres mobi format which of course suits the JBL

Example

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/24567
Blind Man’s Lantern by Allen Kim Lang

A question, if the JBL is presented with a RTF which was saved with embedded fonts, will it use them ?
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
ac9ts
Enthusiast
ac9ts began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
To paraphrase from whit I gleened from the video:

Open File
Change Font (georgia 14pt)
Justify left
Format page to 3x4 inches
Set margins to .05 or less
Clean up title, etc. Add image maybe
Export as a PDF

Open PDF in a metadata editor
Clear all fields
Set title and author only.

On the JB, open the file and set to full screen

I will be saving this text to a file on my JB for future reference. Thanks Mazer!

Last edited by ac9ts; 06-08-2010 at 08:59 PM.
ac9ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
[QUOTE=A question, if the JBL is presented with a RTF which was saved with embedded fonts, will it use them ?[/QUOTE]

As I understand what is happening, the .pdf created is of the image based
variety, which the JBL displays each page as an image. The JBL can't see
the text of such a file as text. What Mazer has accomplished is to describe
how to make each page of the pdf ebook match the display capabilities of
the JB/JBL/Alura 5-inch display. Think of it as each page being a picture of
the text as it appears on the page, with any font or other feature applied
before the picture was taken.

The RTF file is not a picture of each page, but a simple text file with some
coding added that calls for the use of different features, including Fonts and
color. Even if the font itself were actually embedded in the .rtf file, I don't
think the JBL is programmed to be able to apply the font to the text in the
file. In other words, it displays all text using it's own fonts, and makes no
use of any embedded font data.

I could be wrong, but that is what appears to be the situation.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
As I understand what is happening, the .pdf created is of the image based variety, which the JBL displays each page as an image. The JBL can't see the text of such a file as text. What Mazer has accomplished is to describe how to make each page of the pdf ebook match the display capabilities of the JB/JBL/Alura 5-inch display. Think of it as each page being a picture of the text as it appears on the page, with any font or other feature applied before the picture was taken.
The process here does not create an imaged based PDF, just a basic PDF text document formatted to the size of the reader.

I have no idea how the JBL would handle rtf fonts. I suspect they would end up as one of the two available on the JBL.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
[QUOTE=dwanthny;952695]The process here does not create an imaged based PDF, just a basic PDF text document formatted to the size of the reader.QUOTE]

I'll take your word for it. What I should say is that the PDF seems to be
treated by the JBL as if it were an image of each page. You can't select
or deal with the text as individual objects. I have PDF files that you can
deal with the text, as text, on my PC (with Adobe Reader) but that appear
as a full page image in the JBL. There is no text re-flow for PDF on the
JBL for a reason, I presume. You can only zoom and scroll the PDF pages,
as if they were images. You can't adjust the font size of the PDF or deal
with the text, of a PDF, in any way, in the JBL. No dictionary, for instance.
(Given Ectaco's background, they would have added a dictionary function
if they could have.)

I haven't looked at the capabilities of the PDF reader used by the JBL or
what features it may support. I am only going by how it actually seems
to be performing.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
mazer,

Thanks for the informative video. I just made myself an PDF ebook on the Mac with Pages, and I love the serif fonts.

Thanks again.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Awesome video - thanks for the tutorial.. I will definitely be referring to this..
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote